Turbo quit then came back - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2009, 08:56 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Turbo quit then came back

I thought I would put some info on here before I took my truck to the Ford dealership. 2008 6.4L F350 4 X 4 just over 20000 miles. I was towing my 5th wheel to the dunes on Friday and stopped for fuel in Quartsite. Turned off for a few minutes while we had some lunch. When I pulled out of parking lot, the truck had a slight jolt at about 10 mph which I thoght was just a shift between gears. About 15 minutes later, I was passing another camper on a level straight away and I had NO get up and go at about 55 mph. I snuck by him and checked my turbo gauge the rest of the run to Glamis. It never got over about 35-40% and I felt like I was only running on engine and no turbo. I could barely get to 60 mph, but the engine seemed to be running smooth.

Before leaving the dunes, I checked under the hood for loose wires or whatever. Everything looked OK, but I wiggled everything I could get my finger on. Well, my turbo worked just fine all the way back to Phoenix. I had power, and turbo guage ran up to 80%. Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2009, 08:58 AM
<<< 6.4 Powersmoke

I think it needs to be checked for codes. Maybe the control motor for the turbo vane actuator?
Old 11-30-2009, 09:50 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselkane View Post
I think it needs to be checked for codes. Maybe the control motor for the turbo vane actuator?
that would definetly limit the boost.
Old 11-30-2009, 05:49 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

There is an arm that goes from the actuator to the turbo itself, with little mini heim joints on it. You could always move that thing through its full range to make sure you don't feel it sticking. (Engine OFF!) Doubt that would solve anything but if you felt it bind up or something, it'd be nice to know.
Old 11-30-2009, 06:20 PM
<<< 6.4 Powersmoke

Check for codes too! That could tell you a lot of information.
Old 12-13-2009, 10:18 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I just switched to the spartan 75 tune w/o dpf after running the 250 for 10,000 miles. On occasion without warning it will only build about 18lbs of boost, but run fine otherwise. It will barely get to 60 mph. I'm going to try switching back to the 250 and see if it still happens.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.