2008 350 won't start this morning - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11-21-2009, 11:03 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie
 

Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 2
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2008 350 won't start this morning

I went out and tried to start my truck this morning and as soon as it starts firing the truck dies. If I hold the accelerator it runs rough but then still dies. Someone told me glow plugs but I don't know and need help. What do I look for? Business is shut down until fixed

Thanks for any help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 11-21-2009, 12:36 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

 

Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Hillsborough, NC
Posts: 1,011
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Do you have any mods on the truck? Have you checked your filters? Any DTC's? Where are you / temps? We need some info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3  
Old 11-21-2009, 12:55 PM
<<< 6.4 Powersmoke
 

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Pocat-hell-hole, Idaho
Posts: 1,509
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by trapper View Post
I went out and tried to start my truck this morning and as soon as it starts firing the truck dies. If I hold the accelerator it runs rough but then still dies. Someone told me glow plugs but I don't know and need help. What do I look for? Business is shut down until fixed

Thanks for any help.
How about some actual info on the truck
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #4  
Old 11-21-2009, 01:04 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: mi
Posts: 255
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
how many miles ? what temp was it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5  
Old 11-22-2009, 10:06 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie
 

Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 2
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I'm sorry for not providing much more information as I don't know it. It is stock with nothing added to it, I do know that as I bought it brand new. Anyway I towed it to a diesel mechanic shop that looked at it and said fuel pump and it will be around $800.00 to get fixed a long with an oil change. The truck only has fifty thousand miles on it. Very disgusted with this going out so early and I worry I will have this thing draining my finances as I am running lean this Winter.

Temps had got down in the single digits the night before.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6  
Old 11-22-2009, 11:03 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

 

Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Hillsborough, NC
Posts: 1,011
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Would the fuel pump not be covered under warranty on a truck with only 50K on it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7  
Old 11-22-2009, 11:23 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic
 

Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 107
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
make sure that its not the high pressure fuel pump gasket/harness. thoese go out from wire chaffing and will ack just like the pump. the labor will be the same but the fuel pump cost.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8  
Old 11-22-2009, 11:28 AM
Premium Member
 

Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 1,442
Thanks: 6
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Yea whats wrong with your warranty
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9  
Old 11-22-2009, 03:57 PM
Powerstroke Techie

 

Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 1,680
Thanks: 0
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlynch799 View Post
make sure that its not the high pressure fuel pump gasket/harness. thoese go out from wire chaffing and will ack just like the pump. the labor will be the same but the fuel pump cost.
You ain't gettin a high pressure fuel pump changed on a 6.4 for $800.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trapper View Post
I'm sorry for not providing much more information as I don't know it. It is stock with nothing added to it, I do know that as I bought it brand new. Anyway I towed it to a diesel mechanic shop that looked at it and said fuel pump and it will be around $800.00 to get fixed a long with an oil change. The truck only has fifty thousand miles on it. Very disgusted with this going out so early and I worry I will have this thing draining my finances as I am running lean this Winter.

Temps had got down in the single digits the night before.
Lift pump should be covered under diesel engine warranty to 100k miles.

Check fuse F1.74 in the underhood junction box and see if it's blown. If it's blown the under fuel pump harness has chafed against the pump and caused this problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #10  
Old 11-22-2009, 04:04 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic
 

Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 107
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
[QUOTE=Big Angry Hillbilly;1534525]You ain't gettin a high pressure fuel pump changed on a 6.4 for $800.



didnt see the $800 quote, not for that repair or part
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 04:34 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

vB.Sponsors