Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

6.4 misfire and dumping oil

12K views 38 replies 11 participants last post by  TwinTurbo6.4 
#1 ·
I have a 08 f250 egr/dpf delete mini max tuner I just bought the truck for 20000 cash and I was going down the road and it started missing and dumping oil out exhaust got it home pulled bottom hose off intercooler oil poured out so I rebuilt turbo put it back on and it's still doing it and also have contribution fault for codes for 1 and 8 I would really appreciate any help. I I don't have the money to put in shop so I'm trying to fix it myself

Sent from my LGL62VL using Tapatalk

#3 ·
Cracked piston.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

#5 ·
I bought it from a friend Heavy_GD and I have been driving it for the past year and never had a problem but 3 weeks after I paid for it this happened and i did some research on the h&s tuners and from what I understand they will destroy the motor that it messes the timing up. Has anyone else heard of this?

#7 ·
Welcome to the 6.4 life. It take a certain amount of common sense to drive a tuned 6.4 without it getting expensive. H&s has long been one of the preferred tuners and I doubt it just simply cracked the piston(if that's what it is) without any input from the driver. I'm not saying you don't have the common sense or that you trashed your truck. It sounds like the previous owner was that guy.

Reactions: Brunomarcs
#6 ·
I'm not a fan of H&S tuners, especially for transmission tuning, but I hadn't heard of them destroying motors. On the other hand, I have heard they advance injection timing a lot more than most people do, which makes sense, considering a lot of H&S trucks seem to smoke a lot more and make decent power with less boost, the only way that makes sense to me, is advancing the timing a lot. My truck doesn't smoke almost at all, and my dad has a 6.4 with H&S and it smokes like a cummins if you get on it too hard and shifts awfully.

See what you find with your borescope, should be interesting.

#8 ·
Advancing timing creates less smoke. It gives it more time to burn the fuel completely.

#9 ·
Mine was doing the same thing as of late, pumping out oil but I didn't notice a miss even though my tuner said there was. Had a Ford tech look at it and said the piston looked fine after he scoped it. So I figured it was my rings but the dam thing had an annoying knock. I have it in the shop now but I doubt I will have an answer for you before you find yours.
How many miles on yours?

#15 ·
I didn't drive it everyday but I was the only one who drove it when it was driven until I let my girlfriends brother use it to (go get gas) for his truck 2 hours and half a tank later he comes back Now in between the 2 hours he called and said he was talking to a friend anyway so I turn key on truck and the display for my tuner was changed. That ended anyone using my truck. It ran fine for 2 weeks after that. Now Im wondering if him using it to (get gas) destroyed my truck??

#21 ·
Gee I didn't know this could happen. Come on man give me some credit. I read many a post a day on here and probably seen 40 pictures of cracked 6.4 pistons. The poster might have had some crazy race tune and beat his truck up. Idk. I removed my heads just to look for this, if you would have read another post I had you would've seen that. No need to make me look an idiot.

#25 ·
Pistons are hit or miss on 6.4ls . You did good by catching it right away. I caught as soon as it started missing and it was too late; the flame front had put a gouge in the cylinder .

And 6.4s are not cheap to fix. Now that it's apart, I can't stress enough - cleanliness cleanliness cleanliness, with the fuel system. (And engine, of course. But if you got this far, you know that much)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

#30 ·
The ONLY person I have heard of that is touting H&S "destroying" motors is good ol' Bill f-ing Hewitt!!!

The HILARIOUS part about that is he runs a Spartan on his truck. That guy lies through his teeth about lying through his teeth while lying through his teeth! I would trust anything he says as far as you can throw him and he's a fat f**k.

As stated before. The pistons cracking are kinda hit or miss. When going back together use the International HD pistons. Also having them de-lipped is a good idea but it does lower compression a little. Only issue there is smoke while warming up. Also invest in a cam while she is apart. stg 1 or a stg2 came really gives it a different exhaust note and more efficiency without needing to fly cut for valve reliefs. Stock cam profile is geared towards emission promotion. Also wears the lifters out.

And I wouldn't jump to blaming your buddy for the failure just because he was behind the wheel. It doesn't take a life of "abuse" to lead to this. Just normal everyday use and driving of a stock truck will cause your issue. Its all because of the emissions system in place. Now deleting it helps, but depending on how long before it was deleted the main damage could have already been done.

#35 ·
I'm glad I'm not the only one that feels this way about Billy. I hear he's had a few set's of false teeth.

On another note, if you can, buy the best you can for parts as far as pistons that have been ceramic coated, normal worn out internals and once you have it back together, some good custom tuning. Lose the canned crap. You will notice a huge difference with a lot of the well known tuners out there. 6.4's always do seem to grenade whenever money is tight, as do all money pits though. You pay to play.

#36 ·
Yep ole billy boy. To listen to him he's the only guy in the world that can fix these trucks and you should only buy an 05,06,07. All others are junk. I'm really curious to see if someone can go another 300 to 400 k down the rd once he finished your heads, delearproofed your truck. That's quite a statement! What about those Chinese castings he's used? Does he warrant those?

#39 ·
Speaking of Billiam... this guy has been going back and forth with Bill and his "Warranty" that he says he gives. Great guy..

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.