places where coolant could leak into engine? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2009, 03:59 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
places where coolant could leak into engine?

I have been watching the coolant leave since i purchased my truck new. Originally i thought i was loosing a little coolant onto the ground but it was so slow it was hard to locate. After watching this for sometime now i have notice that at every 5k oil change i need to add 16-24oz of water/coolant. Since i couldn't find a leak i have done two oil analysis and they have come back with higher than normal Potassium levels. OK so its going into the engine but how? Can someone list all the places i need to look? I've already had my dealer pressure test the system but since its such a slow leak nothing showed up for them.

thanks,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2009, 06:32 PM

I have been watching for an answer.... Because I am not all that savvey with this 6.4...

I am wondering about the EGR cooler. If it had a hairline crack you could be leaking coolant into the Exhaust Gas Recirculation system and it would just be blowing out the exhaust in a tiny bit of vapour you could not detect. I just do not know if this would show up in the oil, but possibly over that long term...

The obvious would be a leaking head gasket. If this is true it should get worse in time so they can find it... A tiny leak in the head gasket between oil and water ports even, maybe only when it was cold, that sealed better when the heads got warm...? Maybe they should pressure test it cold, stone cold...

The only other place I can think of off hand, is if this 6.4 has an oil cooler. A lot of larger diesels have an oil cooler, not even sure if this one cas one, but.... If so,this is possibly the cause with a tiny pin hole leak in the gasket where it hooks up or in the cooler itself. But not to sound too stoopid, I really don't even know if the 6.4 has an oil cooler, not having worked on one yet...

Only guessing, a few places to look a bit further.... Hope I have been a help.
Old 11-13-2009, 02:49 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Another problem I've heard of is cavitation in the water pump causes coolant to leak into the engine behind the water pump. I haven't seen this problem myself. Anywhere coolant and oil come close could cross contaminate - head gaskets, water pump, block, heads. The smaller the leak, the harder to find. Check for residue around the cap on your degas bottle, that's a sign of Head gaskets or EGR cooler.
Old 11-13-2009, 02:07 PM

Thanks guys for the help. I'll dig into these areas to see what i come up with. I sure would like to fix this as i know it can't be good on the engine.
Old 11-13-2009, 09:13 PM

Coolant Flow

tried to attach coolant flow diagram if you give me an e-mail i can send it to you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.