Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

08 6.4L no start, possible high pressure pump? air in lines?

4K views 9 replies 3 participants last post by  Arlen2727 
#1 ·
I bought a 08 F-350 6.4 with 70k miles on it not running like a idiot. But anyway the guy I bought it off of said there was a "fuel issue" and it was sitting for the last 8 months. I know he wasn't telling me everything but i think he ran it out of fuel. I did attempt to start it on my own and bled all the air out of the system, cycled it how many times and kept bleeding air and still not even a try fire. I then hooked it up to the computer and got these codes, U0151, P0567, P0381, P2291, P1000. So then I monitored the PSI as I was cranking over and at first had nothing at all but slowly built up to 2000PSI after taking more air out, so I figured my high pressure pump was fine because I was getting 2000PSI. I kept trying and got up to 4000PSI and was unable to get anything over 4000PSI. At this point I wasn't getting any air coming out at all but was still unable to get over 4000PSI. I even tested the injectors using the computer putting power to them and they all were working fine from the sound of it. I was then told that if I don't have at least 5000PSI the computer won't tell the injectors to open so the 4000PSI that its putting out is just pushing it back into the return... My question is, is this all true or am I missing something or should I try something else before I pull the cab and put a new high pressure pump on..? PLEASE HELP

#2 · (Edited)
Have you checked supply pressure?
Is your scan tool capable of bi directional control?
If there was air in the system prior, it would be worth a shot to crack the high pressure line at rear of driver's side head and crank the engine until a good stream comes out. As there could be air still trapped in the high side, even tho the return is air free

#3 ·
to be honest I am not sure if I can check that or not..... I will try and crack the high line but from my understanding is that it won't start unless there is at least 5000PSI because at 5000PSI and up while cranking that is when the computer tells the injectors to open and i can't get anything past 4000PSI. is that true? and thank you for responding

#6 ·
I'm just saying, sometimes when I've had the system open, bleeding the return just wasn't enough. I'd have to crack that line to purge the rest out.
Next question tho would be how did air get in there in the first place

#7 ·
I bought it as a no start, and the guy I bought it off of I think was not telling me everything. He told me that it "ran fine" before he let it sit for 8 months but ended up finding out that he ran it out of fuel at one point and I'm sure some other things that he is not telling me about. So I'm a bit in the dark. but like i said i had nothing at all when i started and got all the way up to 4000PSI but can't get anything past..... where is this high pressure line at that i should crack? i will try it tomorrow, i just want to try anything i can before i pull the cab and do the high pressure pump for nothing.

#8 ·
Attaches at rear inboard of driver side rocker box. 17mm fitting

Have you inspected the secondary fuel filter housing for metal flakes using a flashlight?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.