TECHIES: For REMOTE area, what 09 6.4 parts should I carry? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-08-2009, 01:53 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
TECHIES: For REMOTE area, what 09 6.4 parts should I carry?

Besides Filters, Serpentine belt... Lots of fuel filters for the Outback, (just incase you get a rare batch of gunky fuel, unlikely but..)

Alternator?
Starter?
Any sensors?
Any Actuators?
Water Pump?
Anything like a glow plug relay? (don't even know if it has such a thing)
Turbo part?

What are the top six or so??? Thanks in advance from Australia...

Lone Ranger, out on the last Frontier, Oz
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2009, 04:25 PM

TECHIES,
EGR Cooler have the same problems as the 6.0?

Any sensors I should carry? Anything?

Old 11-09-2009, 05:10 PM

Send a message via MSN to Dusten
the likely hood of being able to change any of those in the bush is nill.
Old 11-09-2009, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusten View Post
the likely hood of being able to change any of those in the bush is nill.
Dusten, let me clarify.... Because of Bushtracker, the Dealer / Importer is going to set me up in Ford Diagnostics computer for a couple thousand $$s... And I am a fair hands on Old Timer Mechanic... I will have an F-450 that NEEEEDS the weight, so I will have full sets of tools and exotics on board, even electrical gear which I am even better at. Fluke, electrical bits and pieces, relays, plugs, connectors, wire, and the Ford Diagnostic computer traveling with me... A full Service Truck Rig, just because I am a nutso enthusiast...

Now do you still stand by your statement above? ????????? I know heads off for gaskets could be difficult or impossible without cab removal. I was looking for bits I should carry like maybe a transmission temperature sensor or somethings like that. Now what do you think?

Regards from Oz.... lone Ranger
Old 11-09-2009, 07:24 PM

much better explanation. I haven't seen a high failure of a lot of parts on these. So i really can't tell you what to carry outside the usual fluids, filters, thinks like that. As for the GP's, i have started my truck in -28*C without them, so I'd be pressed to think you'd need them down there, even if the relay(if they have one failed) Might add some hose clamps, intercooler boots and some hairspray(to help keep the boots on) to that list.
Old 11-09-2009, 08:03 PM

Well, thanks for that Dusten.... That is really an encouraging view on this motor... There has been a fairly troublesome history with the early 6.0s, and some mysterious problems with the early 6.4, your view is very uplifting
Getting a new truck for a couple of years until I get a clear view track record on the coming Ford Diesel, it is very comforting to get a report like this on he 6.4...

I will compare your notes with the Head Mechanic of the Importer that carries the Warranty on the 08-09 Fords here. They want me to liaison with him anyway, sort of a bit of support up here with diagnostics and such.. If he has any different input, I will report back with you...

In the mean time it is going to be a long wait for my 450... I just sold my Mack CC 4x4 yesterday, and someone wants my Silverado 3500 HD Dually.... So I am going to have to drive around in a ricegrinder 100 Series Landcruiser for the next six or seven weeks... Embarrasing I will have to sit real low in the seats so no one sees me.. Maybe wear a disguise...

Old 11-09-2009, 08:08 PM

what part of of OZ? I've been to bunbury, darwin and townsville
Old 11-09-2009, 08:43 PM

Sunshine Coast....

Townsville is a bit dry, and you can's swim in the ocean in the summer due to the Stingers (Box Jellyfish, deadly), no beach much.. Same for Darwin, plus salt water crocs... Sunshine Coast is as far as you can go north and still play on white sand beaches and swim year around. It is sort of mid way on the east coast, an hour north of Brisbane, and is one of the top biggest booming areas in Australia.

South of Brisbane is a major Tourist area, the Gold Coast, but it is more Tourist and 20% Japanese, even the beach signs are Japanese and English.. Anyway, too Touristy for me.. The Sunshine Coast is more Family oriented, still only an hour drive (50 min) to the Big Smoke of Brisbane if you want big city stuff... I have travelled all of the east coast of Oz, and the Sunshine Coast is my pick. Any further south and it is too cold in winter, any further north and little white sand beach, Barrier Reef makes oyster shell beach, and you have the Stingers in summer when it is hottest so that ruins it...

I would recommend it if you visit again. To live here, in the far south the weather is too extreme, and the far west of Perth on the west coast is to isolated thousands of kms from anything.. The Sunshine Coast here is about something between California and Florida in beach and weather.
Old 11-13-2009, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Ranger View Post
So I am going to have to drive around in a ricegrinder 100 Series Landcruiser for the next six or seven weeks... Embarrasing I will have to sit real low in the seats so no one sees me.. Maybe wear a disguise...

Since when is a landcruiser an embarrasing vehicle???? Shame on you!

besides, you will not need to be carrying any spare parts for that rig will you!
Old 11-13-2009, 11:09 AM

Awwww, Rotorfixer
My 100 Series is a backup utility vehicle. It is done up with ARB diff locks front and rear, intercooler, aftermarket turbo, winch, bull bar, high lift suspension, long range tanks, spare carrier, drawer system in back, slide out fridge over top, and a whole lot more. I have had it about 8 years, and it used to be the little Missus twuck, before she got a 200 Series... You know, 4x4 Toyota is the most common vehicle over here in grocery parking lots...

But I can't carry hay, my 2 German Shepherds hardly fit in the back, and I have a heck of a time trying to hook up to my 7 ton gooseneck..

Great little hunting / exploring vehicle, indestructable... Am saving it for my daughters. Right now for the next five weeks, I am wearing a disquise and slinking very low in the seat hoping no one sees me in the girl truck...

Not much fun driving around a rice grinder, I am 6'1", got a saddle stood up in the back alongside the fridge, and hardly have room to chuck in a six pack!! I keep searching on the steering column to turn up stereo....

I miss a BIG A$$ CC Dually If I upgrade in the future I am NEVER going to let my Dually go early before the other one is done. NEVER AGAIN....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.