Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Help with ongoing 6.4 problems

2K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  kaya 
#1 ·
My parents have a 2008 6.4 Powerstroke that they have been having ongoing problems with for about two years now. I am trying to help them fix it if I can. They are retired and aren't too good with this sort of thing, and I live across the country and don't know much about diesels anyway. The first sign of any problems was my mom driving it alone and.. "The first time it happened I was driving home and going up an incline it just dropped off power like it had run out of fuel. I pulled over to the side and just kept slowly chugging along hoping and praying it would make it home." One of the main reasons they bought the truck was that they wanted to travel with a camper trailer in their retirement, and they have since been unable to pull the camper with the truck.

They had the truck towed to a diesel shop near where they lived and had the shop read the codes. I don't have the codes, they aren't on the invoice I am reading, but the notes on the invoice say that their tech had found a coolant Y pipe leaking and a broken fuel line. They fixe d the fuel line and got the truck to run for a very short time, and lost fuel pressure. They then put a fuel pressure gauge on the truck and found no pressure. They then replaced a "diesel electric pump module, on frame". The repairs done included fuel hose, the coolant y pipe, a fuel pump and "lift support" for a total of just over $2000.
This seemed to work for a short time, but soon the truck began acting up again. When you try to accelerate, it seems to fall on its face and has no power again. They took it back to the same repair shop and were told it had a P2452 Particulate matter trap differential pressure sensor, a P0113 IAT sensor high input, a P252F Oil level too high, and the truck going into limp mode. The notes on the invoice say they performed an oil change and tested the injectors, and at that time, they tested fine. They found an exhaust pressure sensor on the pipe melted. Removed and replaced it, and retested. They then let the truck go again, but the sensor burned up again before my parents even got home.

This is the current state of the truck as far as I know, and I am hoping that someone might have an idea of what might be wrong with the truck. I know that I don't have very good information, and if it turns out to be something like an injector pump, that's going to be the worst news, my parents can't afford that.

I apologize about the long post, and if I get any other information, I will post it.
Thanks for reading

See less See more
#3 ·
The sensor itself could be malfunctioning.. I would have physically checked the dipstick to make sure the oil level is where it should be before drawing that conclusion

#5 ·
I understand that but if you read his OP it says... The notes on the invoice say they performed an oil change and tested the injectors, and at that time, they tested fine... If they performed an oil change they would have smelt the raw diesel fuel in the oil its not hard to smell... Also I would be checking and double checking voltage references because the sensors possibly ride on the same reference... Which means if one of the sensors malfunctions or shorts out.. it can take them all out.. Also he says that the exhaust sensor they just replaced burnt up on the way back home.. that indicates to me there is a short somewhere possibly..

#6 ·
For starters, Get it to a good Powerstroke shop. By the sounds of it they are just throwing parts at it and guessing. In order to properly test the injectors, they should be removed and flow tested. It doesn't sound like they did this.

It is hard to diagnose these pickups over the internet, but by the sounds of it they are looking at a new fuel system. The injectors are over fueling causing fuel to slip past the piston rings filling the crank case with fuel contaminated oil. I would also be looking at the injection pump making sure it is not eating itself which happens often. If this problem isn't caught soon enough, they could be looking at catastrophic engine failure.

But like I said they are hard to diagnose. It could be something easy for all I know. Get it to a shop who specializes in these pickups.

#7 ·
Check the oil level. To see if it is overfull, insert the dipstick an inch from the bottom. If it reads all the way up the indicator, insert it again, but 2 inches from bottom. Keep inserting less of the dipstick until you can see indefinitely on the indicator where the oil tops out. Take note of how high the dipstick is when you get that reading. You must do this to see where the level sits. You cannot see the reading properly if it's reading up the wire.

Also, there is no sensor that reads oil level. The PCM reads crank velocity to determine an overfull condition.

Op, with the truck running, remove the oil fill cap. If there is excessive, even pressure coming out the oil fill port, your problem may be a restricted dpf. It would make sense given these symptoms

Reactions: 7.3 powerchoke
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.