Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

HELP!! DPF problem ????

3K views 18 replies 7 participants last post by  Big Angry Hillbilly 
#1 ·
Hi Guys,

I have a job III '09 with @ 2,800 kms and normally regens would occur on my highway drive home in about 10- 15 minutes. I have gone back and forth 3 times now (15 min highway each time) and the truck is still in Regen. My exhaust tip is pretty muddy, but at least 50% of the louvers are open, could this be causing the REGEN problem?? They say in the manual that the louvers are extemely important but I thought I have seen guys with DPF and running aftermarket exhaust or tips. Let me know what you guys think, just making up my mind if I want to try to get it into the dealer this morning, or try driving it home again.

And yes, I know "get a spartan tuner" will solve the whole issue.... don't have the spare cash right now.

Peter.

#2 ·
Are you saying your drive is only 15mins? If your truck is still in regen when you turn it off, it will try and regen the next time you drive it until it finishes on its own. It may take a while to start regen again which sometimes is at the end of your trip and doesn't get to finish. Sometimes regen takes a couple mins, and sometimes takes alot longer.

#3 ·
My drive is 20- 25 min total each way, but a solid 15 min of that at highway speed each way.

like I said, it has been in constant regen, it starts each time as soon as engine temp is up, so for the full drive on the highway it has been on for more than 45 minutes plus the time spent at city speed. My question is more to do with the tip being muddy, I know that it should not have been in regen this long.

#4 ·
stopped by the dealership, let them know what was happeneing. The mechanic assured me the louvers were just to cool the exhaust gas leaving the system as to not light pets and other things on fire, nothing to do with the DPF system. They booked the truck in for thursday, and I asked if I could be doing any damage to it driving it in constant regen. He said not really, but he said the milage may go down and laughed, What a bastard.

#5 ·
if you are only going 15 min on the highway you likely aren't allowing it to finish. if it gets bad enough, you will get a message that says "drive to clean exhaust"

#6 ·
really? are you saying you have accumulated over 45 minutes of non stop highway driving (> 100 km/h) plus 30 or so minutes of city driving without the "cleaning exhaust filter" shutting off? The truck runs 30 min each time I start it, not stop and go stuff. They certainly think there is a problem with it at the dealership.....

#7 ·
Lets get it straight so we are understanding you. You drive 45mins non stop with the truck regening the entire time? My truck if it doesn't get to finish, may take 1/2 an hour or so before it trys to regen the next time I drive the truck. IF it doesn't finish that time it will start the entire process over again whenever it decides to, not exactly when I start it back up.

Now If I'm reading you correctly yours comes on the minute you start your truck and stays on your entire 45 min drive. And then the next time you start it it starts again for the 45 min return drive? If this is so then yea you got a problem.

#10 ·
non stop driving doesn't = regen, letting your foot of the gas, applying the brakes, dropping below 30 all stop the regen and it doesn't resume the second you are back above. I've seen my truck try to regen for days on end.

#9 ·
Once the regen starts. It wont quit trying to regen till it completes a cycle.
I had a similar experience. either drive it till the msg goes away or
stop looking at the msg. (I found the latter hard to do. So I bought a Spartan pkg. Steep but gratifying as heck!

#11 ·
Ok guys.... pretty easy to tell if the truck is actually in regen, not just based on the message. Put on another 80km on the highway yesterday, still in Regen. So to who said "I don't stop driving until it's done" I don't have three hours to accomplish that.

FYI, after 5000km (typo at start of thread) the longest regen I had was 15 minutes, most are 8- 10, 99% of the driving I do is highway and it always completed the regen before I stopped. I will let you guys know what the dealer says. I am hoping it needs a new DPF, so that I can justify a spartan to my Wife!!

Peter.

#13 ·
you know what's really fun? They told me to drive it for three days until they can get it in I am getting my first oil change done at the same time, and I will be getting a sample. Wonder how much fuel will be in the oil? What a joke.

Peter.

#14 ·
I have been driving mine stock for a few weeks since getting my tranny flushed and am waiting for my sct to come back from repairs. It was in regen most of last week. Finally I took it back to the dealership to get my buddy to take a quick look because while in regen waiting for a train my eyes were just burning and I had what looked like white smoke coming from my front fenders and my vents at my window. So while in regen and my foot on the brake he peeked under the hood and what not and said the fumes definatley shouldn't be as bad as they were. I sat for 5 mintes and then regen turned off...when I got back onto the road I had so much smoke coming from the tailpipe for over a block. I turned around and went back and they told me that I had "overwhelmed" the dpf and to go for a drive...I drove for 10 minutes and it cleaned itself out.

When stock I found that if most of your driving is city, the cycle will not complete and you will always be driving around in regen. You either have to hit the highway as soon as that message comes on and drive it until it goes off or you need to delete it...and trust me Deleting it is the way to go. Truck runs better and fuel economy is better. I burned 1/2 tank of fuel on 3 short trips on saturday because it would not complete its cycle.

#15 ·
If they were gonna put this thing on a truck, it wouldn't have been so bad if they would've put something for the owner to start the regen when on the highway. The damn thing doesn't know when your stopping. Mine always starts right before I pull into a parking lot or something.

#16 ·
I just read somthing that may explain my problem..... Any of you with the SEIC "High idle mod" might want to pay attention.....

Apparently if you energize the circuit with the uplifter switch and leave it on, allowing you to toggle the SEIC with just the Ebrake, it will cancel your entire emmisions monitoring system, even if you are driving! I think I had left the switch on for a while, assuming the system would not care if the uplifter was up or not as long as the Ebrake was not activated......:doh:

I think I had just recently flipped the switch down.... not sure how long it was up for though.

#18 ·
Well if they don't do random inspections, you could always put the dpf back on and tune the truck back to stock. Which is what you would have to do to take the truck in for warranty work anyways. From what everyone says its about an hour job once you know how to do it.:thumb:

I'm worried about my warranty also which is one small reason why I don't delete mine just yet. I don't drive my truck alot (work offshore) and want to make sure all the little bugs are gone before taking that thing off so I don't have to put it right back on. I plan on getting one tax time though. Besides the extra power, better mpg, better shifting, and the abilty to smoke the obnoxious kid in his honda/mustang, you'll be doing yourself a favor by keeping the engine harming diesel out of your engine. In turn increasing the life of your $50k truck.

#19 ·
DPF removal is a violation of federal emissions laws - and grounds for immediate warranty cancellation.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.