HELP!! DPF problem ???? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-19-2009, 07:34 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
HELP!! DPF problem ????

Hi Guys,

I have a job III '09 with @ 2,800 kms and normally regens would occur on my highway drive home in about 10- 15 minutes. I have gone back and forth 3 times now (15 min highway each time) and the truck is still in Regen. My exhaust tip is pretty muddy, but at least 50% of the louvers are open, could this be causing the REGEN problem?? They say in the manual that the louvers are extemely important but I thought I have seen guys with DPF and running aftermarket exhaust or tips. Let me know what you guys think, just making up my mind if I want to try to get it into the dealer this morning, or try driving it home again.

And yes, I know "get a spartan tuner" will solve the whole issue.... don't have the spare cash right now.

Peter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-19-2009, 08:02 AM

Are you saying your drive is only 15mins? If your truck is still in regen when you turn it off, it will try and regen the next time you drive it until it finishes on its own. It may take a while to start regen again which sometimes is at the end of your trip and doesn't get to finish. Sometimes regen takes a couple mins, and sometimes takes alot longer.
Old 10-19-2009, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjamin24 View Post
Are you saying your drive is only 15mins? If your truck is still in regen when you turn it off, it will try and regen the next time you drive it until it finishes on its own. It may take a while to start regen again which sometimes is at the end of your trip and doesn't get to finish. Sometimes regen takes a couple mins, and sometimes takes alot longer.
My drive is 20- 25 min total each way, but a solid 15 min of that at highway speed each way.

like I said, it has been in constant regen, it starts each time as soon as engine temp is up, so for the full drive on the highway it has been on for more than 45 minutes plus the time spent at city speed. My question is more to do with the tip being muddy, I know that it should not have been in regen this long.
Old 10-19-2009, 02:16 PM

stopped by the dealership, let them know what was happeneing. The mechanic assured me the louvers were just to cool the exhaust gas leaving the system as to not light pets and other things on fire, nothing to do with the DPF system. They booked the truck in for thursday, and I asked if I could be doing any damage to it driving it in constant regen. He said not really, but he said the milage may go down and laughed, What a bastard.
Old 10-19-2009, 02:31 PM

Send a message via MSN to Dusten
if you are only going 15 min on the highway you likely aren't allowing it to finish. if it gets bad enough, you will get a message that says "drive to clean exhaust"
Old 10-19-2009, 02:35 PM

really? are you saying you have accumulated over 45 minutes of non stop highway driving (> 100 km/h) plus 30 or so minutes of city driving without the "cleaning exhaust filter" shutting off? The truck runs 30 min each time I start it, not stop and go stuff. They certainly think there is a problem with it at the dealership.....
Old 10-19-2009, 03:07 PM

Lets get it straight so we are understanding you. You drive 45mins non stop with the truck regening the entire time? My truck if it doesn't get to finish, may take 1/2 an hour or so before it trys to regen the next time I drive the truck. IF it doesn't finish that time it will start the entire process over again whenever it decides to, not exactly when I start it back up.

Now If I'm reading you correctly yours comes on the minute you start your truck and stays on your entire 45 min drive. And then the next time you start it it starts again for the 45 min return drive? If this is so then yea you got a problem.
Old 10-19-2009, 03:09 PM

My truck has regened over an hour once. usually its quicker than that but sometimes its a lengthy process that makes me can't wait for spartan...
Old 10-19-2009, 03:12 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Send a message via AIM to A8050266 Send a message via MSN to A8050266 Send a message via Yahoo to A8050266
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotorfixer View Post
Hi Guys,

I have a job III '09 with @ 2,800 kms and normally regens would occur on my highway drive home in about 10- 15 minutes. I have gone back and forth 3 times now (15 min highway each time) and the truck is still in Regen. My exhaust tip is pretty muddy, but at least 50% of the louvers are open, could this be causing the REGEN problem?? They say in the manual that the louvers are extemely important but I thought I have seen guys with DPF and running aftermarket exhaust or tips. Let me know what you guys think, just making up my mind if I want to try to get it into the dealer this morning, or try driving it home again.

And yes, I know "get a spartan tuner" will solve the whole issue.... don't have the spare cash right now.

Peter.
Once the regen starts. It wont quit trying to regen till it completes a cycle.
I had a similar experience. either drive it till the msg goes away or
stop looking at the msg. (I found the latter hard to do. So I bought a Spartan pkg. Steep but gratifying as heck!
Old 10-19-2009, 03:30 PM

Send a message via MSN to Dusten
Quote:
Originally Posted by benjamin24 View Post
Lets get it straight so we are understanding you. You drive 45mins non stop with the truck regening the entire time? My truck if it doesn't get to finish, may take 1/2 an hour or so before it trys to regen the next time I drive the truck. IF it doesn't finish that time it will start the entire process over again whenever it decides to, not exactly when I start it back up.

Now If I'm reading you correctly yours comes on the minute you start your truck and stays on your entire 45 min drive. And then the next time you start it it starts again for the 45 min return drive? If this is so then yea you got a problem.
non stop driving doesn't = regen, letting your foot of the gas, applying the brakes, dropping below 30 all stop the regen and it doesn't resume the second you are back above. I've seen my truck try to regen for days on end.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.