Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

2009 f250 p0087 code??

6K views 7 replies 2 participants last post by  duccamachine 
#1 ·
Recently my truck threw the utterly vague P0087 code. This was accompanied by no cruise control. I cleared the code and everything was fine for about a week then the CEL came on. Checked and the same P0087 code. Cleared it and another week later same thing.... When the CEL came on there was no noticeable drivability issues and the truck ran fine. I've read a ton on the P0087 code and just seems to confuse me more. I recently found both my batteries were heading south so I replaced them and changed the fuel filter just in case. Not sure what next step should be if the problem resurfaces?...
I have been running an XRT pro on mild for the past 5 yrs and this is the first problem I've had. Any suggestions of help is appreciated. Also is doing the egr delete worth the time?

#2 · (Edited)
check fuel pressure at the schrader valve off the fuel cooler. drive the truck. hard. if it stays between 3-8psi, honestly, you probably have a bad hpfp. it would be best at that point to monitor frp actual and desired, and see if actual is able to maintain desired under load.
you can pull the secondary fuel filter and have a close look in there with a flashlight, looking for sparkly metal bits. if you find a fair amount in there, nt only is the pump done, but the system is contaminated and will need to be dealt with accordingly.

yes, absolutely the delete is worth it on these trucks. if the horizontal cooler ends up leaking it could potentially let coolant into the cylinder through an open exhaust valve, causing a hydrolock.
either a full delete, or you can install a blocker plate

#3 ·
Thanks for the reply. What type of pressures am I looking for? I can not monitor the fuel pressure through my tuner so I'll need to get a test gauge or other option???? And how would I go about measuring the pressure on the fuel rail? When I did the fuel filter change I inspected the housing and did not see any metal just some very minor dirt. Although I did see a few metal flecks in the Primary filter housing. Thanks again.

#4 ·
the tuner should have the option to monitor frp_a and frp_des. when's the last time you had the xrt updated?
yes, you will need to source a gauge and adaptor to check transfer pump pressure. also, make certain that the primary filter cap is completely seated on in the housing

#5 ·
My tuner is the XRT Pro "diesel downloader" and after plugging it in this morning there is no such provision to monitor any engine parameters. It has been a year maybe two since it was updated...

You mentioned that if I have 3-8 psi on the fuel cooler I have problems, what type of reading should I be getting if everything is good???

Would a simple OBDII reader / monitor be able to give me the other fuel system parameters I need?
I'm just trying my best to be thorough and make sure it is the HPFP before I make any rash decisions. Again thank you for all your help. I attached a pic of the screen on the tuner and the reader I mentioned.

Attachments

#6 ·
between 3-8psi for transfer pressure is adequate for supply to the hpfp.
i can't say if that little code reader would work or not, but i wouldn't do anything with that besides read codes. to read data, especially without power loss symptoms, you'd want something faster. it's your choice, but i'd sooner spend that money on an edge insight or a diagnostic from a reputable diesel shop.
another possibility is the frp sensor. but typically you'd probably see a circuit fault as well. i don't see them fail and only throw the p0087 often. the k16 pump is a very common failure on these engines. one of the problems is that the pressure control valve and volume control valve are integrated into the pump and non servicable. so if one of them fails, the entire pump must be replaced. ford made them separate components for the 6.7.
transfer pump pressure is also very low to the k16 because it has an integrated internal transfer pump. basically, as long as you have positive pressure supplying it at all times, the k16 will make due. again, ford redesigned and got rid of the itp and applied a much greater transfer pump pressure. about 80psi on the 6.7.
i shouldn't really say ford. it's bosch who supplied the cp4 to ford lol. while siemens supplied the k16 for the 6.4

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.