SMOKING F450...thought it was bad for your health - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-2009, 07:50 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
SMOKING F450...thought it was bad for your health

i got a 2008 f450 i use to haul my 4 car trailer..i just turned about 60k. had a motor replaced at 29k had the rear end replaced at 21k with the radiator also.

no when i stop and idle the truck for longer then 10mins and then start to take off the S.O.B starts smoking white for about 30 seconds as i give it throttle then after it stops to never be seen till the next time i idle for a while..took it to the deal and the said everythings fine truck runs good..got the tick tap everyone else has but besides that we are good! i use AMSOIL in her and change the fluids every 7k even though AMSOIL says its 3 times the factory ...once a month i use AMSOIL diesal cleaning system and every full tank for me which is about 130gallons i use 1 bottle of there cetaine boost(one bottle treats 80 gallons)...the smoke is white some times can look gray but it comes out so much that traffic honks some times..note sometimes i leave the truck idleing while i take a nap (1-3 hrs..) can this be an issue..
Attached Thumbnails
SMOKING F450...thought it was bad for your health-bigboy.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-04-2009, 08:15 PM
scuffs *****

Send a message via AIM to Tyler
Disconnect the trailer, and run it really hard see if it blows it out. Maybe its just dirty. Sounds like its starting to wet stack.
Old 10-04-2009, 08:19 PM

what do you mean wet stack?
Old 10-04-2009, 08:26 PM
scuffs *****

It means there is unburnt fuel going into the exhaust. You know when someone has a tuned truck and it smokes black when they first hit the throttle? Thats actually considered wet stacking.

But in your case your getting a wet stack effect when ideling. I would guess something is preventing your combustion chamber from being hot enough. I would bet its clogged and needs blown out.

It can also be white smoke too.
Old 10-04-2009, 08:28 PM
<<< 6.4 Powersmoke

EGR cooler/s??? And, not to start an oil war, but I have heard Amsoil causes major sludge problems in these motors. In fact, my worst UOA's in my 6.0 were when I ran Amsoil.
Old 10-04-2009, 08:34 PM
scuffs *****

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselkane View Post
EGR cooler/s??? And, not to start an oil war, but I have heard Amsoil causes major sludge problems in these motors. In fact, my worst UOA's in my 6.0 were when I ran Amsoil.
I really just think its a love/hate thing.
Old 10-04-2009, 08:54 PM

i have never had an issue with there oil..i change mine every 6-7k and have a by pass filter also..oil always looks clean and soot free

Quote:
Old 10-04-2009, 08:56 PM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler View Post
It means there is unburnt fuel going into the exhaust. You know when someone has a tuned truck and it smokes black when they first hit the throttle? Thats actually considered wet stacking.

But in your case your getting a wet stack effect when ideling. I would guess something is preventing your combustion chamber from being hot enough. I would bet its clogged and needs blown out.

It can also be white smoke too.
i'm going to run it like a bat out of hell then tonight..if i blow the motor its your fault cause u told me to.
Old 10-04-2009, 09:00 PM

you know they came out with a new formula for the cj-4, been out about 4-5 months...there old stuff was never intended to last over 10k in normal use 5k in heavy use....the new stuff last 3x longer but i change it at 7k all the time,.

Quote:
Old 10-04-2009, 09:02 PM
scuffs *****

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigboytransporting View Post
i'm going to run it like a bat out of hell then tonight..if i blow the motor its your fault cause u told me to.
Its a powerstroke. If you think your gonna blow it up by running it hard you better hit a tree REALLY hard.

And if its my fault.... well then its my fault aint it? You can trade me for my OBS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.