Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

6.4 no start need help to go on vacation

7K views 49 replies 6 participants last post by  LoxDiesel 
#1 ·
also not sure if the temp gauges are supposed to but when I turn the key on the temp gauges don't move, are they supposed to? my gm and dodge every gauge cycles at key start are they supposed to on a ford?

#2 ·
Good day hoping for some fast help! supposed to leave with the kids on vacation tomorrow morning.

completely rebuilt engine new everything! new HPFP new injectors, pistons, cam, valve train, rebuilt turbos.

one of the rollers let go so I rebuilt everything! I did not bother with the sensors because everything was working fine minus the loud poping noise from the engine.

connected everything removed the air from the fuel lines the engine fired right up! let it idle for 30-45 min to let the engine get to operating temp and stay there for a while turned it on and off a few times gut to do various things seemed to work perfect.
backed it down the driveway and went to pull out the truck died!
no start now? no air in the fuel, tried the reset, checked the fuses looked at the connections and codes
p0097
p0703
I have no idea where to start? would an intake sensor cause a no start? I tested sensor and it works also do the gauges cycle when you turn a ford on? the temp gauges don't move?
thanks for your time

#3 ·
P0097 code is for Intake Air temp sensor 2 circuit low-could be a grounded circuit in the harness, incorrect harness connection, or a damaged senosr.
P0703 code is for Brake switch B input circuit signal lost-could be a open or short in BPA circuit, Damage in module(s) connected to BPA circuit, damaged brake switch, misadjusted brake switch
This all comes from Alldata for a 2008 6.4L. I hope this helps in your repair.

#4 ·
I tested the sensor and tested the line feeding the sensor they both seem to be working. The brake sensor error went away but I still can't get the thing to start. I disconnected almost all the wire connections and re-connected still no luck. I don't know what else to do. No air in the fuel lines everything new and still no start

#5 · (Edited)
are you positive it's not p0091 instead?
do you have a monitor? can you view frp? and sync?
check your oil level as well. if it's too full, possibly due to internal fuel leak, the engine will shut down

Reactions: Brunomarcs
#8 ·
This is a tough spot to be in, and I've been there.

How did you bleed your system? Are you using the stock lift pump? How can you be sure there is no air in the fuel system?

I might try to disconnect the batteries and reset the system. Not sure if that would help, but it can't hurt.

#10 ·
unfortunately battery disconnect will not clear the KAM on these trucks. must be reset manually with a device.
i would like to see manfacturer dtc's at this point. and a monitor of frp and sync

Reactions: riceomaholia
#11 ·
Good day
Sorry for the late respose I still took the kids on vacation just could not tow the toys this time to the cottage. I have no way of monitoring that stuff. But still in a no start position. Thinking I am going to reset computer and try that to start with. Could I have a bad pcm?

#12 ·
Just got back from vacation going to try to get the truck going again since I was unable to take it on the trip. I read to reset disconnect the negative cables then turn lights off to drain any stored power to reset and bond negative and positive while negatives disconnected. Going to try this unless anyone has any other sugestions?
Thanks

#14 ·
that won't clear the KAM. as i'd mentioned in both your threads, you need a device to monitor vital PIDs and scan for manufacturer DTCs

#15 ·
No luck with resetting the pcm.
I have a guy coming tonight with the same scanner the ford tech use and hopefully I make some progress, from what I explained to him with all the new parts and everything I did he also thinks a swap of the pcm is a good idea. I tried it myself but it goes into lock and nothing happens with the new pcm ( I believe factory ford tech has to reset for the theft to reset)

#18 ·
Ok this is where I am at now, I changed the intake sensor and the error code went away for that.
I had a mechanic come by with a high end scan gauge, he is unfamiliar with 6.4 but works on 6.0 daily
he could not get a FICM voltage? Is there a FICM on a 6.4? could this be a relay? I checked all the fuses.
or is my PCM no good?
I could be wrong but we both think the injectors are not getting any voltage/signal to fire?
everything else tests proper fuel pressure crank speed, fuel bleed but nothing
the mechanic thought bad ground but I cleaned them all and re mounted still his gauge says no FICM voltage
Any help would be great full

#19 ·
injection control is via the pcm. there is no ficm on a 6.4. i don't think i've ever seen a pcm fail on these (other than bricked, which isn't a failure) and i've worked on hundreds of these.
did you by chance replace the piston rings as well?

#20 ·
Thanks for your response
New pistons and rings, new injectors, new high pressure fuel pump, new everything on top end except the valve but had the heads tested, cylinder walls had .0005-.0007 wear tolerance is .003 all new bearings, new oil pump new oil cooler. The only thing I reused was the injector wiring harness because it looked in grate shape and I do not have to remove cab to change them

#21 ·
when you crank it now, does it spin over like nothings firing? like a lack of compression?
if so, you probably glazed your cylinder walls by letting it idle for 45 minutes on new rings.

#22 · (Edited)
normally if i do rings, as soon as i get it started, i'll hold the idle at about 1800rpm for a couple minutes. briefly check for leaks. then quickly take it out and do some long hard passes. preferably on steep grades

#23 ·
Is there anyway to test if the injectors are getting power? I have never rebuilt a Ford but very many 3-4 cylinder diesels out of various construction equipment and every one even many of the manuals say break in slow, idle to operating temp then run higher and higher through the rpm. I just kind of assumed the same approach

#25 ·
I doubt the rings are washed. Your friend with his high end scanner, you can do a buzz test and see if the injectors are getting a signal. Its quieter than a 6.0 or 7.3 buzz test but it should tell you something. Like kaya said you need to monitor fuel rail pressure and cam and crank syncs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#26 ·
Ok I made some progress, with a better scanner got error u0100 a0 communication with the pcm, my question is, would this be a bad pcm or a chance this could be something else?
Trying to avoid bringing to dealer for a big bill! I know I have to bring for the new pcm to be set regardless but want to make sure this is all it could be just a swap of computers and I should be good to go?
Thanks again for all your help

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.