Can bad EGR valve allow coolant into engine oil? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2009, 07:23 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Can bad EGR valve allow coolant into engine oil?

My dealer and tech say no but this doesnt seem right to me. There is a hose going from the EGR vavle to the coolant bottle so seems to me its possible. What are your thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-27-2009, 11:33 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

There is coolant in the EGR system, but no oil, so I don't see how they could get cross contaminated.
Old 09-27-2009, 03:38 PM
Powerstroke Techie

It would be nearly impossible for the coolant to go from the passages within the egr valve, down the intake manifold, and around the rings to get into the crankcase with the oil.
Old 09-27-2009, 08:58 PM

Ok so lets say its not the valve and that the EGR coolers were pressure tested and came back ok. So where would be the next places to look for a small leak into the engine? My last oil analysis should higher potassium levels and the coolant bottle lost about 1.5 inch of coolant. So somehow it made it to the engine oil but not sure how. Thanks
Old 09-27-2009, 09:08 PM

if the 6.4s have an oil cooler like the 6.0 then that would be my guess, someone else might know
Old 10-01-2009, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawtooth1 View Post
Ok so lets say its not the valve and that the EGR coolers were pressure tested and came back ok. So where would be the next places to look for a small leak into the engine? My last oil analysis should higher potassium levels and the coolant bottle lost about 1.5 inch of coolant. So somehow it made it to the engine oil but not sure how. Thanks
Ever run low on coolant? Blown radiator ever?

Credit to "BushPilot" on TDG.

Old 10-01-2009, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroOne View Post
Ever run low on coolant? Blown radiator ever?

Credit to "BushPilot" on TDG.

No and hopefully not. I've run just a tad low on coolant but not sure if its going into the engine or if somehting else. My postassium was up a little on my last blackstone report so was a little worried. However, they pressure tested the system and found no problems.
Old 02-14-2012, 01:34 PM

Sawtooth1, I'm curious about what you discovered with your issue and if you had it fixed.... I've got a 08 and my truck has the identical problem you described. My coolant bottle runs an 1-1.5" low on coolant and my Black Stone report says I have 0.08 coolant in the oil. My truck is totally stock, has had 2 radiators replaced and that's it...

Was your issue the EGR or cavitation of the front cover. My aluminum #s were high as well.... I know this is an old thread, I just need help. Thanks!
Old 02-14-2012, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVHunter83 View Post
Sawtooth1, I'm curious about what you discovered with your issue and if you had it fixed.... I've got a 08 and my truck has the identical problem you described. My coolant bottle runs an 1-1.5" low on coolant and my Black Stone report says I have 0.08 coolant in the oil. My truck is totally stock, has had 2 radiators replaced and that's it...

Was your issue the EGR or cavitation of the front cover. My aluminum #s were high as well.... I know this is an old thread, I just need help. Thanks!
Well I still have the original EGR setup and still have a little coolant loss. The funny thing is I change oil every 5k and sometimes need coolant but sometimes I do not. The front cover had a oil leak and was replaced but still have issue. Now last month I changed to a new tuner that closes the egr valve so curious to see if it changes any of the lost coolant.
Old 02-14-2012, 02:04 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

The EGR and the timing cover can cause coolant to contaminate the oil.
This happened to me back in 2010 with only 20,000 miles on our truck.
Timing cover corroded and leached coolant into the oil, the dealer refused to acknowlege the oil analysis we had taken, told us the oil was not changed enough due to the jelly like sludge in the engine, yet the oil analysis report said the oil met OEM requierment even with 424PPM of sodium in the oil, Flagged for excessive coolant and we had to repair the engine ourselves.
Locked up turbo and sludged out 6.4 engine

The use of conventional coolant just wont do in these trucks.

Feel sorry for you guys that think is supposed to fix this mess, they wont and cant do it

Javier
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.