Burning coolant due to bad Timing Cover?? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-19-2009, 06:27 PM
Emergency Services

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Burning coolant due to bad Timing Cover??

I put my F450 in the shop because of burning coolant. When ever you get a load on the engine, it would start white smoking BAD. Coolant was disappearing at an alarming rate. Like 5 gallons in 10 miles.

I assumed EGR cooler. I know from reading on here the EGR coolers on these 6.4l trucks are much better than the famous 6.0l ones. I have heard of maybe a half dozen people complain of broken EGR coolers on a 6.4l. As compared to everyone that owns a 6.0l having a bad cooler. The service dept at my local Ford dealer hadn't ever had to change an EGR cooler on a 6.4l. They went along and wrote down all my symptoms and I told them that I think it is the EGR cooler, and they agreed.

I get a call several days later saying that they have it fixed (but my airbag light is on now), and that they had to replace the timing cover to do it. I had a row with them about effing up my air bag system, which they denied. I had to call their boss (on his personal number at home) and have the air bag situation remedied. They left the ignition on and the batteries were low, causing an airbag fault.

Question is, would a timing cover cause water to get into the induction system? I know there is water going in or near it. It has a water pump mounted on it, I know. If anything, I would expect there to be water in the oil (which there isn't)

Basically, I don't know if they are feeding me a line of sh!t. I know they didn't actually test drive it. Or if they did, they didn't go more than around the block. I sure as hell know they didn't drive it after they "fixed" it, since the upper and lower radiator hoses were not attached. I drove it home this way, unknowingly. This morning, it took a dump on the side of the road (not surprisingly, now knowing the major f-up the dealer did). I don't even know how the thing held any water at all. I filled it on the side of the road this morning, and it poured out nearly as fast as I poured it in. It got so hot the engine went into "reduced power" mode, and shut down as soon as I parked it. If it wasn't effed up before, it probably is now..

I am definitely going to go and make some tech a new cornhole on monday (for the incomplete job). I just need to know if I need to make it extra large for misdiagnosing the problem in the first place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-19-2009, 08:15 PM

wow!! I'm sorry man that sux. Something that should be routine and easy turned into a nightmare. i know for one thing i would never go back to that dealer for maintenance!
After you got the coolant to stay in the truck does it still smoke?
Quote:
I am definitely going to go and make some tech a new cornhole on monday (for the incomplete job). I just need to know if I need to make it extra large for misdiagnosing the problem in the first place.
Yeah definitely go back and call them out on the huge mistake they made! Good thing the mechs aren't working on aircraft EPIC FAIL
Old 09-20-2009, 06:55 AM
Emergency Services

Quote:
Originally Posted by f.polcari View Post
wow!! I'm sorry man that sux. Something that should be routine and easy turned into a nightmare. i know for one thing i would never go back to that dealer for maintenance!
After you got the coolant to stay in the truck does it still smoke?

Yeah definitely go back and call them out on the huge mistake they made! Good thing the mechs aren't working on aircraft EPIC FAIL

Unfortunately there is no other dealer within 2 hours of here.

I am going to go and hook up the radiator hoses today and run the snot out of it, and see if it is still white smoking (steaming) out the exhaust pipe. If it is, I am going to be a new kind of pissed that I have never experienced before. I might just wreck the engine and take them the smoldering remains of the thing they should have fixed right the first time.

Either way, I am going to have them tow the thing in to the shop to finish the job. After I get done test driving it, I will put the hoses back the way I found them.
Old 09-20-2009, 09:42 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

keep taking it to the dealer and lemon law it. Sounds like they are a bunch of shade tree mechanics. Let us know what dealer it is so we dont waste out time.
Old 09-20-2009, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elibenson View Post
Unfortunately there is no other dealer within 2 hours of here.

I am going to go and hook up the radiator hoses today and run the snot out of it, and see if it is still white smoking (steaming) out the exhaust pipe. If it is, I am going to be a new kind of pissed that I have never experienced before. I might just wreck the engine and take them the smoldering remains of the thing they should have fixed right the first time.

Either way, I am going to have them tow the thing in to the shop to finish the job. After I get done test driving it, I will put the hoses back the way I found them.
If you do blow the engine be prepared for them to have your truck for over a month. They had mine for 6 weeks and got it home and they forgot to hook up a ton on stuff and had to take it righ back to them.
Old 09-20-2009, 03:50 PM
haters gonna hate 24/7.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FX4STROKER View Post
If you do blow the engine be prepared for them to have your truck for over a month. They had mine for 6 weeks and got it home and they forgot to hook up a ton on stuff and had to take it righ back to them.
Which truck did you blow the engine on??

Thought you blew the dually up and left it at the dealer......
Old 09-20-2009, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueovalman14 View Post
Which truck did you blow the engine on??

Thought you blew the dually up and left it at the dealer......
Yeah that was the 350. I took it back and traded it in I gave them the chance to fix it when I didnt even make it back home and the check engine light came on I took it back and traded
Old 09-21-2009, 03:28 AM

Sorry to hear about your troubles. I am loosing coolant to just not as fast as you. I too would like to know if the cover is the original problem.
Old 09-21-2009, 05:55 AM
Emergency Services

I reattached the hose, but the o-ring is missing, so it won't seal. It just doesn't run out as fast. I filled it to the brim and took it out on the county road in front of my house. I did some hard accelerations, and brake torquing to try and get it to steam out the exhaust. It didn't steam. So I think they just forgot to put my hose back on.

At least my engine is steam cleaned now..

I have looked at pictures of timing covers online. They have a number of water passages in them (upper and lower hose, water pump housing, holes to the heads, etc), I just don't understand how the water got into the intake from the timing cover..
Old 09-21-2009, 08:38 AM

Any tech's that can assist

Are there any tech's out there that would like to comment on this as well. I'm having the same issue except for less coolant lost and am very interested in finding more out on this. Thanks elibenson for this thread as maybe it will help more of us.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.