I just got whacked on a new DPF...help! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2009, 11:41 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Unhappy I just got whacked on a new DPF...help!

Owner in Nashville area of a 2008 F250 6.4 with lifts, AFE, Superchip etc. Last week I'm driving along with no warning other in retrospect noticing some very limited oily leakage in the driveway...and the truck starts beeping like front end loader in reverse and shuts off then a voice comes on telling me it's safe to pull over which I did. Truck would not crank...power but ignition was shut down by onboard computer I reckon. I called local dealer in area of metro Nashville I was in and they sent a wrecker and brought her in.

I got called a few days later that the diesel particulate filter was ruined and it was because of running the superchip at performance....too much unburnt fuel..that this was the only time they ever saw this and that the PDF was 1900 plus labor and it would take 4-6 days and so forth. I was stunned but being a very busy fellow as a rule I just sucked it up and moved on. When I picked it up today it was 3000 bucks total...that is the highest repair bill I have had on any car in my 52 years including Porsches, MBs, and the always broken Range Rover. What the sam hill is going on here? This is a diesel truck with 50K in mileage...almost all highway. I had a warranty problem with a transmission Prefilter acting up last month and they fixed that as drivetrain warranty but told me the chip voided this and even if they would try for warranty that Ford would ask for the computer record to see what happened. This is nuts. I love the truck styling and interior is very comfortable but this new 6.4 is not my fav to be candid. I liked the 7.3 better. My mileage has never been good even before the chip which I put on at 40K 10K of chip driving and it cost 3000 bucks...30 cents a mile surcharge

basically anyone have any thoughts on this...it just smells I have owned many diesels...including big marine diesels like MAK and Werkspoor and autos like Cummins and Duramax as well as the aforementioned earlier Ford diesels but this experience has soured my taste on this truck and this motor any advice or explanation or what to do now would be appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-04-2009, 11:48 PM
Emergency Services

DPF

WOW... $3000 for a DPF, i think i would just spend the money and delete the DPF altogether. Wouldn't take maney repair bills like that to outweigh the benefit of the warranty anyway.

Do yourself a favor, DPF delete, Spartan tune and enjoy the extra power and mileage.

Just my .02
Old 09-09-2009, 11:35 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I ran the superchips and have 90,000km's on my truck with no dpf issue what so ever.

How can it be ruined from too much unburned fuel? The truck practically dumps raw fuel down the exhaust as part of the cleaning proceedure and ignites it to clean it.

Sounds fishy.

Delete the dpf and forget about it.
Old 09-09-2009, 11:48 AM
wriott

delete the DPF... but 3K... holy cow....
Old 09-09-2009, 12:23 PM

I would have gotten the DPF delete kit and some tunes for that price. $3000 did they even mention it might be a grand on labor? 10hrs to install a DPF?
Old 09-09-2009, 12:32 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Rob Send a message via MSN to Rob Send a message via Skype™ to Rob
wow, that is crazy.. i would have told them, "well just sell me the DPF and ill install it to save labor.. "
Old 09-09-2009, 12:36 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Sounds like you already paid the bill so its too late but I agree with the others. Tell Ford they can keep their over priced, constantly cracking, mileage killing, piece of EPA junk. The 6.4 is a great engine that gets a bad rep because of all the EPA stuff.
Old 09-09-2009, 04:51 PM

Wow, that sucks. I would have had words with them instead of paying that hefty of a bill.
Old 09-09-2009, 04:57 PM
assistant director

what dealer did you go to. I live north of Nashville. sorry to hear about it
Old 09-10-2009, 03:58 AM

I don't see where you have any grounds for complaint. You modify the truck and something breaks. Ford can not warrant the results of your modifications. If anything, send a bill to Superchip.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.