Puff of White Smoke! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-31-2009, 07:21 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Puff of White Smoke!

Truck is a little over a week old (bought it used with 9,900 miles on it, 100% bone stock) and i've actually put over 1,000 miles on it in one week without any problems whatsoever. This morning going to work I accelerated from a red light and I noticed I was pouring out white smoke through 1st and 2nd gear (was probably around 2-2.5k rpm and probably around 20psi boost). Once I got into 3rd gear it stopped, but mainly since I was up to speed and I let out of the throttle. I almost freaked out, thinking my EGR cooler ruptured and I was intaking coolant. But I checked coolant levels and everything seemed just fine and I didn't hear any unwanted noises from the engine at all. I tried to get it to smoke again and I never could get it to smoke (just to see if it would do it all the time because I know if I take it in to a dealer they will think i'm crazy). No lights, warnings or anything. So, I'm thinking it may be the intercooler problem i've read about on here, where water condenses in the intake and is inhaled by the engine. Do you all think this could be the case?
It was a very cool and foggy morning this morning. I believe it was right at about 60 degrees and relatively high humidity around 70%.

Should I take it to a dealer (already?)? What do you all think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-31-2009, 08:09 AM

I done a search before and couldn't find anything, but I expanded my search and found another thread (different section) that was dealing with this same problem. Found out there was an actual TSB released by Ford with this known issue. After reading the TSB I believe that is exactly what is happening. My truck was built before October 1st (March 07) and it happend almost exactly after 20 minutes of continuous driving as well.

Last edited by Shadrack; 08-31-2009 at 08:12 AM.
Old 08-31-2009, 08:16 AM

i really dont know i think they smoke a little white when they are cold
Old 08-31-2009, 01:44 PM

Are you sure it was not in regen? When I had a DPF, it would fog the entire road while accelerating if it entered regen before the truck was up to temp. Just a thought. Otherwise, you're thinking it's the intercooler TSB?
Old 08-31-2009, 01:49 PM

The truck was up to full operating temp, I had been driving for approx 20 minutes. It was not in regen, I had no message displaying in the message center. I think it is the intercooler TSB, lord I least I hope it is!!!! My truck was an early build Job 1 truck, and according to the TSB description, it fit my situation to the T. According to Oasis, my intercooler has not been changed, but all other updates/recalls have been done.
Old 08-31-2009, 02:13 PM

Well given all of that, it sounds like that TSB could very well be your issue. That 20 minutes wasn't stop and go, right? Just highway? Sounds exactly like what mine did with this issue. 2-2.5k rpm, and 20lbs of boost were the sweet spot for the show to begin. Letting up stopped it. I'd take it in, tell them what you've said here, and print that TSB.
Old 08-31-2009, 06:45 PM

Yes, it was 20 minutes of hwy driving. Stopped at first redlight and sit for about 30 seconds. Light turned green, I accelerated like I always do minding my own business and right at the 1-2 shift point I looked in my rearview mirror and that's when I noticed a huge fog cloud. I immediately looked in my passenger side mirror and that's when I seen the white (steam cloud I suppose) pouring out the exhaust. By the time I realized what was going on I was up to speed and it shifted into drive/overdrive and I was out of the throttle and the smoke went away. No shakes, or unwanted noises heard and zero warning lights or anything like that. When I got to work I listened for anything up close and checked all the fluid levels and everything seemed perfectly fine. Worried me quite a bit at first, and that is the only time I have noticed it. I hope nothing internally in the engine was damaged and I'll get this fixed as soon as I can. I'd say every morning this week it will do that same thing because it is calling for the same weather conditions all week. I'll keep a very close eye on it the next few days.
Old 09-01-2009, 06:23 AM
Serving Our Country!

i just made a 1000 + mile trip 2 times over the past 2 weeks and my truck does the same thing at the first good acceleration romp after ive been running for a little while. Pouring white smoke for 2-3 seconds under heavy acceleration...then nothing for the rest of the trip (if i keep the truck running). My truck is a job 3 build and that TSB supposedly doesnt apply. I still have the DPF and attributed it to the heat of the hard run burning off whatever may be in my tailpipe from that DPF mess.

Let us know how you make out
Old 09-11-2009, 05:10 PM

Not sure how you made out on this, but I think I'm going in this week for the same thing.

Had a major rain storm here last night and got caught driving in it for about 15 miles, slow and steady. Turned off the highway, down a back road, and into the driveway. Shut it down. This morning, fired it up, idled for a minute while loading surfing gear in the back, and headed down the road towards the highway. Light throttle, no smoke. Got to the highway and waited for a gap in traffic to pull out; was around 2500rpm, 20lbs of boost, started to take off, then fell on its face, bad. I was going nowhere... like I'd only pushed maybe 1/8 of the way down on the pedal or something. Had to pull onto the shoulder to avoid getting rear-ended. The entire road was fogged (NOT in regen). Backed out of the throttle and it went away. From then on, it was fine, once it warmed up and I guess had a chance to evaporate the remaining water in the intercooler with today's drier air.

That's the last time I'm going to ignore this. The 3 other times hadn't almost caused an accident. I sure hope the newer intercooler fixes this, as many claim it does.
Old 09-21-2009, 05:53 AM

Still on a waiting list to get into the dealer. Been on it almost a month now. I'm also pretty sure i've developed an idler pulley noise on cold startup. And..... i'm going to get them to double check a very slow coolant leak as well. Probably EGR cooler/valve related. I love this truck, I just want to get all these little issues taken care of before I mod it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.