Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

No start, new HPFP, just needs bled maybe?

5K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  Brunomarcs 
#1 ·
My 08 6.4 won't start after a fresh install of a new HPFP, pump was definitely bad as it was seized, threw the p2291 and p0087 codes as well, anyways did the pump swap but I'm still getting no start, do I need to bleed the hp side?

Batteries are fully charged, fuel injector pump is new, also a has new HFCM and new filters, everything was reinstalled and torqued properly(double and triple checked), when I try to crank the engine it sounds like just the starter is turning it, unless I shoot it with wd40 in which case I get some compression and smoke out the tail pipe.

Truck has DPF/EGR deletes, H&S XRT pro tuner.

Need some assistance soon as I'm in welding school and having to share a vehicle with my mother, ain't easy.

#2 ·
firstly, you definitely don't wanna use any type of starting fluid on this engine. second, yes. you need to bleed the system thoroughly. did you cycle the key on for 30 seconds, 10 times? sometimes it's necessary to bleed at the high side as well. i usually crack the line at drivers side fuel rail, then cycle the key on until i get a good air free stream there. that should do it

#3 · (Edited)
Yeah that's why I didn't consider using ether, but I wanted to make sure I had compression because I've had to let the motor sit a few months now. Yes I've done the regular key cycle sometimes as much as 20 times before a try, I'll try cracking that fuel line and see what happens, thanks!

#5 ·
yea because those hpf lines from the pump to heads are one time use, whenever i replace them i leave that drivers side rail fitting loose until it's all bled. that way you don't reuse the crush seal and risk a leak.
glad you got it sorted

Reactions: Brunomarcs
#6 ·
Hpfp

I'm glad I found this post so I know to leave that rail fuel line loose to bleed the system as I'm attempting to replace my own hpfp. Is that the only place you bleed the system at? I was able to remove several bolts and am working on the others on the back of the turbos, if I cut that up pipe I can reach thos bolts easier, what do you think of that?

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.