So what is the deal with the regen - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2009, 01:05 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
So what is the deal with the regen

I was wondering if someone out there has a better understanding of what you are supposed to do with a 2008 truck that is in the middle of regen. Invariably this is what happens: I drive around town and I am just about to arrive at my destination and on comes my indicator that the exhaust is being cleaned. Up goes the EGT and I have to drive around another 10-15 minutes as I wait for the regen to finish. When I bought the truck, I was told not to turn the truck off when it is doing that. That makes sense to me because I couldn't imagine wanting to turn it off when the EGT is at 800-1200 degrees. But, driving around and wasting diesel fuel seems ridiculous to me too. People who are with me think I'm crazy. Does anyone know what the "official Ford position" is on this?

In general, I like this engine a lot. However, I'm hoping that whatever engineer though up this exhaust concept is no longer working in the industry. I'm thinking that at some point we are going to look back at this attempt at cleaning exhaust gases and laugh at how we went about it. I realize this is not just a Ford thing but......... it's ridiculous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2009, 01:35 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Just delete it. You'll save fuel and headaches.

I never treated mine different just bc of the regen, if I had to go to the store and it all the sudden came on....well so be it. I did not drive around or leave it running till it was done. I just turned it off and went on about my business.
Old 07-31-2009, 02:44 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Befor I tuned my truck i would treat it as if there was no regen and it never made a difference, no codes always ran fine. If its in regen and you need to stop just turn it off. What ever you do dont sit while it is in regen. It will get way to hot.
Old 07-31-2009, 06:39 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I have shut down my truck during regen without any ill effects. In fact, this week it started regen just as I pulled into work, when I went to lunch it started again both going and coming and then finished the regen on my drive home after work.
Old 07-31-2009, 08:49 PM

I'm guessing a lot of people are doing the same - just shutting it down and letting it resume when you next drive. Fools like me who just drive around in circles until it finishes are probably in the minority. But to me it goes back to one of the main uses of an EGT gauge. I've always been lead to believe that you don't shut down a turbo diesel until the EGT is close to 300 degrees. Obviously, in regen it's 3 times that temperature. I guess the point is that it's not gonna kill ya as long as you're not making a regular point of shutting it down hot.
Old 08-03-2009, 09:33 PM

The engine needs to cool off before shut down. The manual says this takes from 3 to 5 minutes when the engine has been hot depending on how hot it actually is. When you slow down or stop the regeneration cycle terminates. So you can let it idle for 3 to 5 minutes and turn it off like the manual says. When you drive above the required speed the regeneration will start again as needed.

The old programming did not terminate the regeneration cycle so there is a lot of old crap going around about how do deal with it before the problem was resolved.
Old 08-05-2009, 11:52 AM

I think that part of my confusion is that my regen does not seem to terminate. I get the message that the exhaust filter is being cleaned and it does not go away or give me any other messages when I stop. "Cleaning the exhaust filter" stays on my console.

Does your message change when you stop? How about if you stop for a stoplight? I got my computer reflashed to display the regen message. Should I have an even later software version to make it shut down when I stop?
Old 08-05-2009, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvasilje View Post
I think that part of my confusion is that my regen does not seem to terminate. I get the message that the exhaust filter is being cleaned and it does not go away or give me any other messages when I stop. "Cleaning the exhaust filter" stays on my console.

Does your message change when you stop? How about if you stop for a stoplight? I got my computer reflashed to display the regen message. Should I have an even later software version to make it shut down when I stop?
Of course it doesn't go away. How irritating would it be if every time you slowed down below 35 it disappeared only to reappear when you sped back up? The cycle is still "active" even if its not currently injecting any fuel into the exhaust. Trust me, if you have the latest updates, the truck will stop injecting fuel into the exhaust............even if the message stays up.
Old 08-05-2009, 06:11 PM

Well, I guess I need to take a closer look at it. What I have seen so far is that the message stays there AND, much more importantly, the EGT stays much higher than normal. So far, not much evidence that it is cycling off. I'll try letting it idle for a longer time to see if it does finally go down to a normal range. I might not have given it enough time.
Old 08-13-2009, 08:03 PM

Hook your upfitter switch to your PTO enable wiring and switch on when you stop. Truck wont regen in PTO mode. Then let idle till your pyro is happy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.