Will a Job 3 motor go in a Job 1 truck? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-09-2009, 05:49 AM
Emergency Services

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Will a Job 3 motor go in a Job 1 truck?

I did a dumb (DO NOT OVER REV YOUR ENGINE with the higher Spartan tunes), and messed my truck up pretty thoroughly. It's out of warranty now, and I am weighing options. I know where there is a wrecked truck with a good engine. The only problem I really see (aside from the time it takes to change that effer) is that it is a job 3 truck, and mine's a job 1.

Is there any physical differences in the engines, or is it just computer and body changes. Or am I going to run into a problem like the people that try to install a '06 6.0l in an '03 6.0l truck. That is, they bolt up, but don't actually work with the computer without major computer re-working.

In case anyone actually read it this far, and want to know about what I did to mess the truck up: 4.30 gears won't let a truck go over 120 mph without running out of revs. So don't. I heard a resounding "BANG" and then I let out. I thought for sure that a connecting rod let go. It wasn't. Once I got to stopping, I realized that the engine was popping out the intake. I think I smacked a valve, and bent/broke a push rod or two. Which is quickly followed by the lifter rotating in the lifter bore, and scratching the cam shaft. I think that TwinTurboStroker (Julian) did about the same thing when he did a burn-out one time. If I recall correctly, it cost him about $6000 to have one piston/con rod, new cam, new lifter/push rod/rocker, new valves, re-grind the valves, and a bunch of labor for pulling and completely breaking the engine down to it's nuts and bolts and putting it all back together.

So, for a little bit more, I can get a "new" engine with ~30K miles, and it comes with turbos, accessories, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-09-2009, 06:43 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elibenson View Post
I did a dumb (DO NOT OVER REV YOUR ENGINE with the higher Spartan tunes), and messed my truck up pretty thoroughly. It's out of warranty now, and I am weighing options. I know where there is a wrecked truck with a good engine. The only problem I really see (aside from the time it takes to change that effer) is that it is a job 3 truck, and mine's a job 1.

Is there any physical differences in the engines, or is it just computer and body changes. Or am I going to run into a problem like the people that try to install a '06 6.0l in an '03 6.0l truck. That is, they bolt up, but don't actually work with the computer without major computer re-working.

In case anyone actually read it this far, and want to know about what I did to mess the truck up: 4.30 gears won't let a truck go over 120 mph without running out of revs. So don't. I heard a resounding "BANG" and then I let out. I thought for sure that a connecting rod let go. It wasn't. Once I got to stopping, I realized that the engine was popping out the intake. I think I smacked a valve, and bent/broke a push rod or two. Which is quickly followed by the lifter rotating in the lifter bore, and scratching the cam shaft. I think that TwinTurboStroker (Julian) did about the same thing when he did a burn-out one time. If I recall correctly, it cost him about $6000 to have one piston/con rod, new cam, new lifter/push rod/rocker, new valves, re-grind the valves, and a bunch of labor for pulling and completely breaking the engine down to it's nuts and bolts and putting it all back together.

So, for a little bit more, I can get a "new" engine with ~30K miles, and it comes with turbos, accessories, etc.
Im not real sure on this myself but I wouldnt see why it wouldnt work. The motors are the same but the computers could be a problem like in the 6.0. Someone else so chime in. What was it hitting in rpm's cause its got me a little worried and I dont wanna do mine?
Old 07-09-2009, 06:56 AM
Emergency Services

I don't recall exactly. I thought that you don't want to go over 4,200. Maybe some one would like to chime in and tell this idiot (me) what the redline is on this engine.

I calculated with my tire size (stock - 245/70R17) and the gears I have (4.30), and if 4200 is max RPM, and if I am in overdrive(gear ratio of ~0.7:1), the max speed I can go is somewhere around 117.5mph or very close to it.

I think the main thing is don't shift your tranny manually (and over rev) if you are trying to do a burn-out or something. And don't overspeed (and over-rev)
Old 07-09-2009, 07:05 AM
Almostdunfukinwidit

Send a message via Yahoo to Dave
All this could over rev crap could be solved. Why the hell dont Matt and Nutty set a hard rev limit in the tunes
Old 07-09-2009, 09:28 AM
Emergency Services

Sorry about your motor. What happened to the ECM on the wreck? I'm no tech, but it seems if you had it your chances would be better. Some one will chime in and enlighten us all. Did you call MAtt at Spartan because he has a motor from a wreck that he is bulding up. He must have found out something.
Old 07-09-2009, 09:36 AM
ADMIN AND TECH

engine should swap over just fine
Old 07-09-2009, 06:41 PM
Emergency Services

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCUFFY828 View Post
engine should swap over just fine
Thanks for the info..
Old 07-09-2009, 06:44 PM
Emergency Services

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
All this could over rev crap could be solved. Why the hell dont Matt and Nutty set a hard rev limit in the tunes
I actually like that they have no safeties on their tunes. It forces people to be cognizant of what they do. In my case, I can't say for one second that it was Spartan's fault. It was my fault entirely. I shouldn't have been stupid.
Old 07-16-2009, 12:24 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
No, this is not possible to prevent.

Even on a stock truck with your foot off of the throttle if you shift into a low gear with the truck moving it will spin the engine up. Call it reverse applied torque if you like.
Old 07-16-2009, 07:26 PM
Emergency Services

On a stock truck, the computer will know if you are going too fast to down shift, and will not shift down till you slow down. Even if you manually downshift. I've never tried this on a tuned truck. If it (a tuned truck) does let you have that sort of control, it could wreck your day pretty quick.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.