Gear ratios (Help) - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4 Exterior Discussion Body and Accessories Talk

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-20-2009, 08:04 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Gear ratios (Help)

Any suggestions out there regarding gear ratios? I have an 08 F350 4x4 with six inch lift 37 inch tires and the stock gearing. I cannot decide which ratios to go with 4.30 or 4.56 ????? What would be the proper set up... It sees some daily driving but not much, mainly my tow vehicle but i am looking for economy as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2009, 08:15 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Do you have a tuner or anything, list all your mods that will be helpful to us all.

If its stock i would say 4:10, or 4:30, if you have a tuner then i would say leave it unless you really think you need more gear then go with that. Even as a tow rig you want to keep your rpms around 2000 at your desired towing speed so you kinda want to gear around that i would say....
Old 05-20-2009, 08:49 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

My truck is bone stock motor wise, i am considering the delete pipe/spartan tuner/S&B cold kit. Im pretty light on the gas pedal most of the time. That kit will be for the towing aspect. We are looking at getting a 40ft fifth wheel eventually. My buddy has a chevy 2500 with the bully dog pulling a 38 ft 5er he blows right by me up hills and all i have is a 26 ft pull behind. I have 37 inch tires and 3.73 gears and at 75mph i'm at 2000 rpms. There needs to be a change here....
Old 05-20-2009, 09:01 PM

More highway, 4.30. Less highway 4.56
Old 05-20-2009, 09:02 PM

The tuner is going to help so much you wont even belive it trust me. If it were me in all honesty i would get the tuner and go from there. IF you like the way it tows with the tuner then you can leave it if you dont then you can spend the money to regear. But on the other hand a 40ft trailer is alot so gearing might be good to make the truck work less. I would say go with gearing that will get you back to the same speed/rpm as stock tire size will

is the 2000 @75 with a gps or a recalculated speedo, that sounds the same as mine with 35's is why i ask.

If your speedo isnt recalibrated you need to check it with a gps first, then find out what rpm/speed people are running with stock tires...
Old 05-20-2009, 10:58 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

In your opinion (dzchey21) how will the tuner affect the trucks in the long run? Reliability? The spartan puts out some serious juice. I plan on keeping it for quite awhile if i dont lemon law it.(on the fourth front main seal) My speedo is off by about 5 to 7 mph off, so anywhere between 75 to 80 i'm running about 2000 rpm. I have a gps in my radio
Old 05-21-2009, 04:13 AM

I think a tuner is fine for reliabilty if your smart with it

The transmission shifts better with a tuner
Fuel ecomony is better.

Like i said you have to be responsible so watching things like egt's engine and trans oil temps ect. I dont think a tuner will hurt anything that hasnt already been damage, so when i say this i mean like if the high pressure fuel pump has issues, spartan wont cause it but it may speed up the failure if that makes sense. I have had a tuner on my truck for about 4k and i have only had the truck for a little over 5k miles. Everty truck i have owned has had a tuner since i pretty much bought the truck.

If you really plan on getting that 40foot trailer, and plan on towing it alot gears is a wise choice, but if you dont plan on towing it that much then its not a big deal. There have been guys that will post up on here that say 37's equate to pulling a 2000 pound trailer around everyday, do i agree, not totally but it does put a load on the truck for sure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.