Holes in the Tailgate??? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4 Exterior Discussion Body and Accessories Talk

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2009, 05:04 AM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Angry Holes in the Tailgate???

Can someone explain to me why there are 2 holes in the back of the tailgate where the plastic molding covered across the top? And it wasn't from the plastic cap... I replaced my bed caps with diamondplate.. and DeeZee made one for the tailgate, well not looking when we pulled the old cap off, we stuck the new one on, that does NOT go down the back but just sets on the top of the tailgate... which I haven't found one that goes down the back unless someone else knows of one. But anyways, when we shut the tailgate we noticed 2 holes that are ugly as hell now on the back showing!!!!!

I'm going to try and get some pics up here today, its kinda dirty due to the wet weather we've been having but at least someone might be able to determine a way to hide the.. One of my buddy's said maybe trying a piece of galvanized on the inside of the tailgate and fusing it to the metal, then doing a strip of Line X across the top to cover the holes, which I think might actually work and not look too bad. My bed is already line X'd.. let me know what Ya'll think..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2009, 05:53 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Thats no good. I think the line-x strip wouldnt look to bad
Old 05-01-2009, 06:05 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
your supposed to bolt the tailgate cap over top of there..thats what i have always seen and i have the full tailgate protector...it is from cabelas and comes down like 2.5 inches from top of tailgate on the outside..i like the deezee my friends have because it matches up with the bedrails better...
Old 05-01-2009, 06:09 AM

I have LineX on the top rails and across the tailgate. I really like it and the look. I am thinking about using tan for my rockers (green truck)
Old 06-08-2009, 05:25 AM
Serving Our Country!

Wow.. ok took quite a bit longer than I had hoped to get back on here.. Rained quite a bit and got busy with college classes and work again.. But here are the pics of the hole I'm talking about, sounds like most of everyone is tracking on them anyways.. but any clue as to what can be done to hide them? And having the diamond plate put on top of the plastic bedrails looks hideous! I've seen someone do it..

Old 06-10-2009, 07:19 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Send a message via AIM to A8050266 Send a message via MSN to A8050266 Send a message via Yahoo to A8050266
The holes are:
Factory holes for a tailgate that came with a protector the factory black plastic kind.

Nice ride though!
Old 06-10-2009, 11:32 AM
Serving Our Country!

Quote:
Originally Posted by A8050266 View Post
The holes are:
Factory holes for a tailgate that came with a protector the factory black plastic kind.

Nice ride though!
Here's my problem with that.. the original bed cap that was across the tailgate I removed myself and had nothing that went in those holes, even though you would think that something would, considering the entire bed rails are littered with the holes for the old plastic caps.. either way.. trying to find a way to cover them because for some reason DeeZee did not wrap over the tailgate... anyone have a black diamond plate rail that goes over and down the back?? Or a way to patch and cover them.. I might just need to run down to my local fab shop and see if they can fuze a piece of galvanized on the inside of the tailgate behind the handle cover and then spray a strip of line-x across it all...

Oh and thanks!
Old 06-10-2009, 12:31 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Send a message via AIM to A8050266 Send a message via MSN to A8050266 Send a message via Yahoo to A8050266
Any reasonable body shop should be able to fill in the hole
either tac a square of sheet metal. or scab a sheet on the back side
and front fill the balance. the either re paint the tail gate or any thing else creative. I would say a black stripe using the bed liner stuff. But your truck looks pretty nice and even though the black sounds like a good idea. I bet it will look "not so good" which means blending in the factory blue.
then your back to stock.... Alternatively.. you could seek out a sheet metal person. and have them custom form you a piece of aluminum that covers the holes... either way equals $$$.. post some pics when your done
we all like them pics!
best of luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.