Anyone paint chrome wheels??? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4 Exterior Discussion Body and Accessories Talk

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2009, 08:53 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Anyone paint chrome wheels???

I have been looking at some black wheels and i can decide what i want to do then i got a wild hair in my arse and thought about painting or powdercoating them. What ya'll think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2009, 09:05 AM

I was going to paint my stock ones to see how black wheels would look on my truck. haven't done it yet but with todays weather i'm thinking about doing it. The most important part is prep if you are painting them.
Old 04-04-2009, 09:12 AM
cj41foleyisathief

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Powder coat them
Old 04-04-2009, 09:30 AM

My aftermarket polished wheels are headed in for black powdercoating at the end of next week. My bumpers and brushguard are in being done now. And for the valance and grill, they are being painted to match. Sand down, 2 coats bulldog, 2 coats epoxy sealer/primer, 2 coats urethane primer, and single stage matte black paint. Oh, and the Harley headlights will be here on Wednesday.
Old 04-04-2009, 09:30 AM

These are the wheels that i have now. i Was thinking of painting/powdercoating the spokes and leave the lip chrome. I dont know what it takes to prep chrome is my only thing. I suppose self etch primer would probably do it but who knows. I dont want them all black. Can a powdercoat place tape an edge off?

Rob snowing a blowin today up there too?
Old 04-04-2009, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fire370 View Post
My aftermarket polished wheels are headed in for black powdercoating at the end of next week. My bumpers and brushguard are in being done now. And for the valance and grill they are being painted to match. Sand down, 2 coats bulldog, 2 coats epoxy sealer/primer, 2 coats urethane primer, and single stage matte black paint. Oh, and the Harley headlights will be here on Wednsday.
bull dog is good stuff just used some yesterday to paint my fender vents
Old 04-04-2009, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzchey21 View Post

Oh yeah. Its blowing hard. I was gonna head down to colorado today but i dunno. Hopefully it will slack off a bit later.
Old 04-04-2009, 09:42 AM

supposed to i think roads were closed when i looked couple hours ago. Wind usually closes the roads. Post pics if you paint your wheels.
Old 04-04-2009, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzchey21 View Post

These are the wheels that i have now. i Was thinking of painting/powdercoating the spokes and leave the lip chrome. I dont know what it takes to prep chrome is my only thing. I suppose self etch primer would probably do it but who knows. I dont want them all black. Can a powdercoat place tape an edge off?

You cant powder coat those wheels if you want to leave the lip chrome. Chrome wont handle the heat of the oven and will peel off...
Old 04-04-2009, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2008TTCC View Post
You cant powder coat those wheels if you want to leave the lip chrome. Chrome wont handle the heat of the oven and will peel off...
I talked to a local powdercoat place and they will blast and powder coat them for 80-115 per wheel. I have a fifth spare... which is part of the reason i want tjust make these ones black and i cant sell them toanyone locally, without loosing my arse on them, Another reason is they dont make these wheels in black... so i'll pretty much be the only one with this style wheel in black. So i would loose more money if i sold these wheels, bought another style that i wanted i would be out way more than 100 bucks a wheel and i would have to still buy i fifth spare... I think im just going to do them all black no chrome lip and let the center cap and the lugs be the chrome ofset. My truck doesnt have any chrome on it really so it will be blacked out for the most part.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.