Warn Heavy Duty Winch Bumper installed, problems... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4 Exterior Discussion Body and Accessories Talk

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2009, 04:18 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Warn Heavy Duty Winch Bumper installed, problems...

Well, I got my Warn Heavy Duty Winch Bumper (part 74777) installed last weekend. I really like it a lot, and aside from one small problem, it is awesome. When I received it on Friday, I noticed that there was a small chip in the finish near the passenger side foglight. There was also a crack in the finish and the finish seemed "loose" as in, it didn't seem to be attached to the surface underneath. I installed the bumper and emailed pictures to Warn support. I received a call from Matt Bailey at Warn on Tuesday, and he suggested that I try to get some epoxy underneath the finish to hold it down, then patch the small chip with some sort of textured paint. He explained that Warn powder-coats these bumpers twice, once with a shiny coat, then a second crinkle coat. I told him I would try. Today, I got out there with some epoxy and went to work. Well, as soon as I pried the edge of the finish up slightly, the entire piece of crinkle coat peeled out of the foglight bucket. I have emailed them with an update and called Matt, but I have not received any response yet. I was just wondering what you guys would do about this issue. Would you demand a replacement bumper? Would you rather have it recoated by someone like LineX? Just looking for some other opinions. Here are the pictures.

Picture of the bumper on the truck:

Pictures before I tried to fix anything:

Pictures after I tried to fix it:

Pieces of the finish that peeled off the brand new bumper:

I will keep you guys posted on what Warn support says when they contact me tomorrow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2009, 04:21 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Raul@Stealth Automotive
first off the bumper looks great....and yes i would make them either pay to have it linexed or give you a new bumper
Old 03-26-2009, 04:21 PM
a truck

I sure hope they would replace that, I would be pretty unhappy if the finish on my brand new bumper was completely falling apart

but it looks great on your truck
Old 03-26-2009, 04:22 PM
Viking Heavy Diesel

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Its a very good looking bumper. I hope that you get everything fixed good!
Old 03-26-2009, 04:36 PM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
That looks awesome! But I would make them five you money for Linex than just a new bumper. I think the linex would be better than whatever they did
Old 03-26-2009, 05:03 PM
Emergency Services

send that S.O.B. back....we had a warn winch on our new grass truck w. cable rate to 9 tons, we got it stuck and the damn cable snapped
Old 03-26-2009, 06:07 PM

Thanks guys. I am sure that they will take care of me. I don't know if I would rather have a replacement or have LineX completely refinish the entire bumper. The finish that is on it now is two layers of powder coat. Is that more or less durable than LineX? This thing had a shipping weight of 435 lbs. The crate was over 6 feet long, 3 feet wide, and 4 feet tall. That brings up the other issue, which is that I don't have the crate that it came in any more. I had to tear it apart to get the bumper out, and didn't have anywhere to store such a monstrosity. Anyway, I expect to hear from Warn tomorrow and I will let you know what they say. Hopefully, they will decide that the best thing to do would be to have LineX resurface the entire bumper.
Old 03-26-2009, 06:10 PM
Emergency Services

that is one sick looking bumper
imo, i would rather have it linex'ed
Old 03-26-2009, 06:23 PM

That's what I am going to push for. I would think that it would cost less to LineX it than it would cost to ship a new one and ship back the old one.
Old 03-27-2009, 03:52 AM

I just got an email from Matt, and he assures me that this "is not representative of our normal finish quality. We will resolve for you what ever it takes." It seems like Warn is going to live up to their reputation. I have never heard anything bad about them, which was why I bought from them in the first place. Too many bumper manufacturers have gotten a bad name because of poor customer service lately.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.