smoked lights (tail, headlight, 3rd brake etc) - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4 Exterior Discussion Body and Accessories Talk

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2009, 05:34 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
smoked lights (tail, headlight, 3rd brake etc)

was thinkin recon but im not likin the feed back im gettin on the L.E.D.'s goin out and them just not holdin up to daily use. one installer tried to convinve me to let hit paint the lense covers...... yeah not so much into that idea... anyone else have ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2009, 06:42 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Smoked Lenses

I thought about buying the LEDs and finally decided to Paint mine with the product made by VHT called Nightshades. They came out good and it only cost about $8.50 for one can to do all the marker lights and tail lights.
Old 03-23-2009, 02:40 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilTwins View Post
I thought about buying the LEDs and finally decided to Paint mine with the product made by VHT called Nightshades. They came out good and it only cost about $8.50 for one can to do all the marker lights and tail lights.

yeha the vht stuff is what he wants to use but to be honest he showed me one guys tailights that he had done and i wsnt inpressed.

alot of guys on here have spoken of baking the lights and seperating them then painting but i cant find anywhere where someone did a thread on it
Old 03-23-2009, 04:17 AM

We got the Recon 3rd brake light, White Lightning bar & , dually lights.
So far the 3rd brake and the White Lightning gave us trouble. Some of the cargo lights quit qnd the parking lights quit on the White Lightning.

However I e-mailed Recon and they sent me new ones, even though the warranty was long expired. All I paid was shipping. So I would not be too affraid to buy from them.
Old 03-23-2009, 04:22 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike&April View Post
We got the Recon 3rd brake light, White Lightning bar & , dually lights.
So far the 3rd brake and the White Lightning gave us trouble. Some of the cargo lights quit qnd the parking lights quit on the White Lightning.

However I e-mailed Recon and they sent me new ones, even though the warranty was long expired. All I paid was shipping. So I would not be too affraid to buy from them.

i hear they stand behind their stuff somewhat ...... but i just cant bring myself to buy somethin and install it on my truck when the overwhelming response seems to be that people KNOW that they will fail.... ive just heard waaaaayyyyy to many stories about them just not holding up..... now if they came up with somekinda labor guarantee and a guarantee that they paid out tail light tickets if they failed that would be different....... i dunno i just dont wanna put somethin on my truck that will be a p.i.a.
Old 03-23-2009, 04:29 AM

My recon stuff works great...Never had a single problem with any of it (tails, 3rd, mirrors) I have had the stuff on for about 6 months now and love it...
Old 03-23-2009, 04:36 AM

Light Separation

I separated my headlights and painted the interior, but I cant see how that will change the look of the tail lights. With the lens being red to begin with, painting the interior of the lens (if i am understanding you correctly) will only make the red darker red and not give you the blacked out look. Perhaps I done have a firm understanding of the look you are going for.

There are several pics of painted lenses here and if you cant find any let me know I will take some of mine and post them. I like the look of the LEDs all much better overall but I agree with you in not welcoming the uncertainty of their continued operation.
Old 03-23-2009, 09:35 AM

The outside of the light gets sprayed not the inside. I did my tail lights third break light and mirrors and it came out great. I have only heard of people doing the inside of the lights in the front. Hope it helps out.
Old 03-24-2009, 01:37 PM

i got mine off of ebay for cheap and they look awesome
Old 03-24-2009, 05:13 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJM06590 View Post
i got mine off of ebay for cheap and they look awesome

got yer what?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.