For anyone wanting blacked/smoked out head/taillights - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4 Exterior Discussion Body and Accessories Talk

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2009, 06:38 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to ididntdoit5150 Send a message via Yahoo to ididntdoit5150
Talking For anyone wanting blacked/smoked out head/taillights

so i, like a lot of you guys have been wanting to black out my taillights and headlights. i didnt want to paint the either of them due to the fact that i love in california and will get pulled over all the time. i tossed around the idea of tossing my headlights in the oven and painting all the chrome black. however i never ended up doing so due to the fact that i didnt want to risk them not sealing back together properly and ending up with condensation in my headlights.

so, after months of contemplating what to do i ran across the best option IMO. looking on the auto ventshades website and searching for any products for my truck i found taillight covers in smoked, or blacked out. and headlight covers in smoked. this past saturday i was at my local 4 wheel parts and had them look up pricing. they reatail for $79 per set. 4 wheel parts was having their march madness sale and i was able to pick up both the blacked out tails, and smoked out heads for $59 per set shipped to my door.

i was also told that these covers stick on with double sided tape, however i want something more removable so im thinking something along the line of velcro. unless any of you guys have some better ideas??

here are the links to the products.

HEADLIGHTS

TAILLIGHTS

they should show up this thursday and i will install them ASAP and get pictures up for you guys.

P.S. - this is part of the process to black out my black FX4. do you guys think i should keep my FX4 off road decals on my bed sides, or get out the hair dryer and ditch them??

thanks
-mike
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-16-2009, 07:03 PM

Hell no....Mexico here I come.
Old 03-16-2009, 07:07 PM

Ditch the FX4 sticker...
Old 03-16-2009, 07:09 PM

I'm all blacked out in San Diego and cops don't chit to me.
Old 03-16-2009, 07:16 PM

looks kinda like the old ..."g.t.s." I think that was the brand. Had them on my car about 15 years ago...
Old 03-16-2009, 07:18 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Yeah thats what I was thinking lol.
Old 03-16-2009, 07:51 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Not a big fan of the covers. I like the Recon LED Smoked Tailights, even though they are $300, they are bright and look good. I am going to try and smoke the reflector in my head light by doing the oven deal, or have someone do it that knows what they are doing. I would probably screw my lights up
Old 03-16-2009, 08:10 PM
Serving Our Country!

what is the 'oven deal' never heard of it yet,,, but like the trend i found out on this site, i am also going black/black..... pretty original up here in NW Montana,,,, so far...
Old 03-16-2009, 08:14 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrokedInMT View Post
what is the 'oven deal' never heard of it yet,,, but like the trend i found out on this site, i am also going black/black..... pretty original up here in NW Montana,,,, so far...
You can cook your head lights in the oven to split them open and paint the inside part that is orange in order to make it smoked looking. I think it looks more professional than a black cover over your head light that is plastic. And the Recon tail lights are LED and very bright. They also match the color of the smoked cab, mirror, and 3rd break light they offer. I like things on my truck to match, but thats just me...
Old 03-17-2009, 06:56 AM

I tinted my headlights and tail lights. I put a little black paint in with clean coat and sprayed them. Came out great and here in Texas i have never been messed with. I would take the sticker off to its a much cleaner look.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.