new running board / nerf bar suggestions?? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4 Exterior Discussion Body and Accessories Talk

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-22-2008, 06:28 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
new running board / nerf bar suggestions??

Finally got our first decent winter storm up here in Western New York.

I was pulling onto a narrow drive and my OEM plastic running board got caught in a snow drift. It's all cracked now and needs to be replaced.

I've never liked the way the Ford running boards attach to the body instead of the frame of the vehicle. Does anyone know of a company offering a bolt on running board / nerf bar that bolt onto the frame instead of using brackets to bolt onto the body like the current ones do?

Don't laugh too hard, but on an 2000 Toyota I had, the nerf bars bolted right onto the frame.... This was great because I could use it as a jacking point, and it acted as a piece of protection for the body in off-road situations. They were also smooth on the bottom which prevented then from getting hung up on debris (or snow drifts).

Any suggestions would be worth looking into at this point
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-22-2008, 06:34 AM

The frame mounted ones are vary bad for the frame in a accident. I am not positive but i dint think any body sells em for our trucks.
Old 12-22-2008, 06:36 AM

look at the n-fab nerf bars, really nice but pricey
Old 12-22-2008, 06:43 AM

+1 for NFAB. I would like to sell my chrome steps and get them but they would be about $600 for me.
Old 12-22-2008, 06:51 AM

Interesting.

Looks like the N-Fab bars still use brackets to mount tot he body. I can't find an install guide to verify, but from the description it looks like they may mount tot he body, and have a 400 something pound weight rating. Maybe there aren't any frame mounted models available for our trucks??

I'm curious on more details.... How would a frame mounted bar be bad in an accident?

Thanks
Old 12-22-2008, 07:14 AM

I have the N-Fab steps and yes they mount to the body like the factory ones. RBP started selling them in a wrinkle black for $485 on their site. They are the same just say RBP on them. I like mine a lot. I have never seen any that mount to the frame though.
Old 12-22-2008, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbiersba View Post
Interesting.

Looks like the N-Fab bars still use brackets to mount tot he body. I can't find an install guide to verify, but from the description it looks like they may mount tot he body, and have a 400 something pound weight rating. Maybe there aren't any frame mounted models available for our trucks??

I'm curious on more details.... How would a frame mounted bar be bad in an accident?

Thanks
Mainly side inpact the body will absorb a lot of inpact befor getting to the frame. With the frame monted style you are taking the chance of bending the frame. And once the frame is tweaked it is very hard if not inposible to be perfect again. I have seen totaled trucks that did not look that bad but the frame was toast due to the old style nerf bars.
Old 12-22-2008, 09:23 AM

Yeah, i dont think there are any that attach to the frame. I am building my own because that's how I want them done. If I get hit on the side and it does that much damage, chances are the frame will be damaged even if I didn't have the bars, and I'd rather have the protection when offroading or whatever.
Old 12-22-2008, 10:33 AM

I would check with youre insurance company. Thoes weisels will try and get out of anything.
Old 12-22-2008, 08:37 PM

Send a message via AIM to Floridayfz450
Might want to try a set of AMP reasearch steps. They'll stay out of the way when you don't need them, so clearance is no longer an issue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.