Want to go From Fabtech 6" to 8" Radius Arm Lift - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4 Exterior Discussion Body and Accessories Talk

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2008, 05:26 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Want to go From Fabtech 6" to 8" Radius Arm Lift

I really want an 8" and 38's now but just trying to figure out what it would involve and how much it would cost. I'm just curious as to what the best way to do this is. I was told I can just swap out the coil springs and take care of the back. I can get a pretty good deal on new coil springs. Would adding a spacer be just as good, if even possible? Also, will I need to swap out any other components? I am currently running a 5 1/2" (measured at the rear) tapered block in the rear and an add a leaf since we can't stack blocks in Utah. I'd like to get rid of my add a leafs if possible and I don't want to go with new rear springs. What other options do I have, if any? I've heard people talk of welding the blocks together or dummy leafs but don't know much about those options. I know the OUO traction blocks are sweet but that's alot of coin. I can get the Fabtech traction bars for 1/2 price if I'm going to need them going that high. Any input would be greatly appreciated. If I can do this relatively cheap I'll do it.

Also, any one with pics of an 8" on 37's? I'm going to try to sell my tires but would like to run them till I find a buyer if I go 8". I think Pahrump had an 8" on 37's for awhile but can't seem to find those pics.

Last edited by jrod80; 11-18-2008 at 09:22 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2008, 05:33 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

8" BDS Lift with 37's

Heres mine 8" lift with 37" Toyo MT's
Attached Thumbnails
Want to go From Fabtech 6" to 8" Radius Arm Lift-truck.jpg   Want to go From Fabtech 6" to 8" Radius Arm Lift-truck02.jpg   Want to go From Fabtech 6" to 8" Radius Arm Lift-truck03.jpg  
Old 11-18-2008, 05:45 PM

I would compare the cost of the new rear springs and the Fabtech bars and compare it to the OUO traction blocks.

08 rear springs are rather pricey due to their increased length over the 99-07 rear springs.

As for the Fabtech bars, I'm not a fan. A buddy of mine has broken them at least twice on his 04.

IMO, the OUO traction blocks are the best option for the rear of the 08s. Don't hurt the ride and control axle wrap very well.

As for the front, you can add a spacer (I like the ones mounted under the coil that get bolted in) like a 2" BDS.
Be sure to check your caster with the additional height as the more negative the caster gets the worse it'll handle.
You may need to swap out the cam on the upper ball joint to compensate for the caster change.

8" on 37s:

Old 11-18-2008, 05:53 PM

Send a message via AIM to Baller1771
my truck is 8 " with 37"s
Old 11-18-2008, 05:55 PM

Just go with the 2" hockey puck up front, that'll be cheap.
Old 11-18-2008, 06:06 PM

If I can get the 8" Fabtech coils for approx $200 for the pair (then sell my 6" coils) would that be just as good? The BDS spacer kit is $290 isn't it? My buddy said they could get $150 or so out of my front coils. The 6" Radius Arm kit has an adjustable alignment cam at the axle for caster adjustment. Should I bet able to get sufficient adjustment out of this? The Fabtech website shows the same component box for both the 6" and 8" Radius Arm kits so I'm guessing everything is the same in the front except for coils...correct?

As far as the rear I would like to just throw a stock 2" block in with the add a leaf and current block and call it good (even though technically Utah doesn't allow it). It sounds like this is how Fabtech handles the rear on an 8". I would like to get rid of the add a leaf because I'm sure it would soften the ride a bit but just don't have the funds to do the OUO traction blocks now (hopefully next year). Would simply adding a 2" block to the rear create significant axle wrap? I don't notice any now.

Last edited by jrod80; 11-18-2008 at 09:11 PM.
Old 11-18-2008, 06:19 PM

I bought a set of the 2" steel pucks from Pahrump for like $50 I think. He had 6" springs with the puck before he went to 10". They were solid as h*ll, way better than those urethane Daystars.
Old 11-19-2008, 04:36 AM

The spacers are cheap...theres a guy on Ebay that sells NICE ones for like $65
BUT, you can buy the 8" Fabtech spring and I think the truck will ride a hair better.

You MIGHT need an adjustable track bar...my axle was not far off but I had t obuy one when I went up to 10"...I bought the ICON its a super nice piece.

Your shocks will probably work.

For the rear....seriously look into the OUO bars...VERY nice...best part on my truck.

Heres some pics of my truck with the 8" and the 38x15.50s

And heres the 10" for comparison.

Old 11-19-2008, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrod80 View Post
If I can get the 8" Fabtech coils for approx $200 for the pair (then sell my 6" coils) would that be just as good? The BDS spacer kit is $290 isn't it? My buddy said they could get $150 or so out of my front coils. The 6" Radius Arm kit has an adjustable alignment cam at the axle for caster adjustment. Should I bet able to get sufficient adjustment out of this? The Fabtech website shows the same component box for both the 6" and 8" Radius Arm kits so I'm guessing everything is the same in the front except for coils...correct?

As far as the rear I would like to just throw a stock 2" block in with the add a leaf and current block and call it good (even though technically Utah doesn't allow it). It sounds like this is how Fabtech handles the rear on an 8". I would like to get rid of the add a leaf because I'm sure it would soften the ride a bit but just don't have the funds to do the OUO traction blocks now (hopefully next year). Would simply adding a 2" block to the rear create significant axle wrap? I don't notice any now.

The BDS spacers by themselves are $125
The complete setup with the 4 shocks is $290.

If Fabtech uses the same arms, you should have enough adjustment for caster. Really won't know until you put it on the alignment rack. Ideally you'd go slightly excessive on the positive side for handling.

Not sure on the amount of axle wrap as we've never done that combo, definitely gives the axle more leverage against the springs. Again, you won't know for certain until you do the install.

FWIW, with the Truck Toyz/Car Care One card (all through GE Money Bank) available on our store you get 90 days 0% on all purchases.
Old 11-19-2008, 06:44 AM

Thanks for the help and pics guys. I definitely like the 38's on an 8" the best. For some reason my 37's and 6" seem sort of small to me now! I will definitely get the OUO bars in the future if I go 8" but just don't want to spend the $1,400 right now...I have the Spartan to buy come January since I'm getting the exhuast and CAI for Christmas. We have a 2" stock block already so all I'll have to buy is ubolts and the front coils or spacer. I'm leaning towards the coils since I can sell mine. Then my lift will be similar to the Fabtech 8" kit and for hardly any more money. I may just give this a shot and see how it works and if there is any axle wrap.

Dan, thanks for the offer but I'm trying to pay for all my adds with extra cash. Now if I could just get rid of this ridiculous house payment that would take care of everything...

Last edited by jrod80; 11-19-2008 at 08:32 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.