Tires - a few questions - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4 Exterior Discussion Body and Accessories Talk

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2008, 10:43 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Tires - a few questions

Looking for a little input here.

I am currently running the stock, sucky Continentals that came on my '08 250. They are 275/70/18s.

For better or worse, they are reaching the end of their tread life, and with winter coming I'm looking to upgrade

I'm looking at the following three tires:

BFG All Terrain T/A
Toyo Open Country M/T
Pro Comp Xtreme A/T

Here's where the questions start. I'm not looking to upgrade my wheels. Currently i'm running the Stock King Ranch alloy wheels. The engraving on the back of the wheel indicates that they are 18X8J wheels. I know this means 18 inches around X 8 inches wide, but what does the "J" mean?

Second question, I'm looking to stick to the ~33 X ~ 12-13 " size. Unfortunately, based on the offerings listed on the Toyo and BFG websites, they don't have an 18" tire in this range that will fit on an 8" wide wheel. It would need to be at least 8.5" to be "approved". Pro Comp has a 35" tire that looks like it would spec out, but it's 35" not 33"

I see the following that look to be what i'm interested in:

BFG All terrain A/T 285/65/R18/E (33/12/18) but they have a 8.5 - 11 wheel width requirement

Toyo Open Country M/T 33/12.5/18) which has a 8.5 - 11 wheel width requirement

Pro Comp Xtreme A/T 35/12.5/18 which does meet the wheel width (8 - 11), but it's a 35' tire.... not sure if i'm going to run into clearance issues with that.

I'd like to make sure that whatever tire I run will be "legit" I do a fair amount of hauling, and although it's obvious i'm looking to switch to a tire with a bit more off-road prowess, I want to make sure it is still performing on the road - at speed and is safe.

I know a lot of folks on this alias are running all three of these tires, How many of you are on stock wheels?

What do you think about these options?

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2008, 12:25 PM

I have ran the toyo m/t on a older truck and loved them i have no complaints at all towed well, drove well. As for the rim size i dont belive that a 1/2" will be that big of a difrence for example the iroks i am running right know are suposed to be on a 10" wide wheel and my rims are only 9" wide and i have had no problems.
Old 10-10-2008, 12:33 PM
Ole White

I would also go with the Toyo MT's I have had 4 sets 2-in size 40/15.50/22 and 1-37/13.50/20 and 1-37/13.50/17 these are great tires and last long my last set of 40's lasted 48,000 miles
Old 10-10-2008, 12:34 PM
Super Moderator

Might want to look at the Toyo OC A/T also:

LT275/70R18 125S E/10* 300620 7.0-8.0-8.5 55 16 33.1 11.0 14.9 3640 – 80 – 626 2P+2S+2N 2P
(33X11.0R18)

The highlighted above is the Approved Rim Width...and an inch thinner than you specified.

I run the OC A/Ts on my truck and I am very happy with them.

Just offering a suggestion - Good luck in your search.
Old 10-12-2008, 08:21 AM

I just put 285/75/18's on mine which are actually 1/10th. of an in. taller than 35's. Seem to be a vary nice riding tire.
Old 10-12-2008, 06:37 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I used to have a 1/2 ton chevy with the 35" extreme a/t's and those tires pulled like crap. I have 37" pro comp x-terrains on my truck now and I finally came up with the conclusion to just stay away from pro comp. I bought a pair of 37x13.50x24 toyo m't and can't wait to put them on. All of my family has the toyo's and they are the best all around tire! hopes this helps.
Old 10-14-2008, 09:25 AM

Thanks for the feedback.
SuperCruttyPS, I did see that tire, I guess my issue is that If anything i'd like a tire that is just as wide as, if not wider than what I have now. It seems that even on dry land, my truck is leaving ruts. I'd like the added flotation provided by a little bit more width.

I guess the follow up question would be, if I go to a local dealer are they going to give me a hard time if I want them to mount the Toyo Open Country M/Ts which have an 8.5 suggested minimum rim width, on my 8" wide wheels?

I don't have access to do this myself, so i'll be relying on an installer.....
Old 10-14-2008, 09:31 AM

Send a message via AIM to Nally7.3Powerstroke
I have had both the Toyo's and BFG's and both were great, but I think overall I would take the Toyo's. I have a set of 37x13.50 and a 17x9 rim and it has worked fine. So for me, the tire is 4.5" wider than the rim. In your case with the Toyo, your tire would also be 4.5" wider than the rim so I really think you would be ok.
Old 10-14-2008, 09:34 AM

Send a message via AIM to Cory S
i personally think Bfg is not the same Bfg as a few years ago. i would go toyo hands down!!
Old 10-14-2008, 09:53 AM

THanks for all the feedback.

I've owed BFGs on a previous truck and liked them. I thought they were a good balance between low noise, and decent off road capability.

I'm leaning towards the Toyos this time though.... seems like a lot of folks who have used them would do so again.

Personally I agree with the previous posts that the Toyos in question would fit my stock Wheels. Just to wrap this up, are there any dealer / installer types out there who could confirm or deny whether i'm going to have an issue getting someone local to mount up this combo for me?

Thanks all
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.