Ford OEM Fog lamp/wiring harness install 2008 F250 XLT 5.4V8 Gasoline - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4 Exterior Discussion Body and Accessories Talk

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2014, 03:00 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Ford OEM Fog lamp/wiring harness install 2008 F250 XLT 5.4V8 Gasoline

I installed some fog lamps (my 2008 XLT didn't come with). I ordered the OEM Ford Fog lamps from 1A Auto and the Wiring kit from another Ford parts dealer off of Ebay (64 for both fog lights and around 34 for the harness free shipping).

1. I unscrewed the plastic cover and removed where the fog lamps install.

2. I installed the fog lights in place (getting the passenger side in seems impossible because of the hood latch release being in the way from the top, but it will fit through the bottom of the bumper very tight with some careful and precise maneuvering; seems impossible but don't give up if you try, just be gingerly).

3. I hooked up the wiring harness and attached to the bumper holes with the plug in sumbi***es they come with.

4. I then plugged said wiring harness into fog lights and then to the grey power plug (after removing grey plug cover that comes plugged into it) located on the driver side near the headlamp.

4. I turned on the parking lights and walked around to the front of the truck and said a bad word because the fog lights didn't come on.

5. I checked the #21 15amp fuse on the fog light relay in the passenger side fuse box; it was there and good.

Finally my question after all that:

Why don't the fog lights turn on?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

P.S.

I know this is a diesel forum and I'm asking about my gasoline F250. Please forgive me (but I do own a 2005 6.0L Excursion).

Hey thanks a bunch for reading and taking time to try to help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2014, 09:56 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I believe you have to swap out the headlight switch in the dash also. If you truck didn't come with fog lights from the factory the switch probably doesn't have the fog light setting.

Does your switch have the fog light icon on the lower left like below?

If not that's most likely your problem. You need to get a headlight switch that has the fog light function.
Old 01-06-2014, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by losrocket View Post
I believe you have to swap out the headlight switch in the dash also. If you truck didn't come with fog lights from the factory the switch probably doesn't have the fog light setting.

Does your switch have the fog light icon on the lower left like below?

If not that's most likely your problem. You need to get a headlight switch that has the fog light function.
That was my guess (since my Excursion fog lights turn on with this type of switch: pull out to turn on).

I took a gamble and ordered the new switch off of ebay from Quirk (I believe $35).

I was up at the Ford dealer today and confirmed that that was what I needed to get them to work. I'll let you know if that for sure fixes it when they arrive and I figure out how to take off the original one and then replace it with the new.

P.S. In the 2008 F 250 manual it mentions this switch option on page 85 if memory serves me...

Thanks for the reply and I believe you are 100% right...

Last edited by Romille1; 01-06-2014 at 10:05 AM. Reason: re-worded for correct English
Old 01-06-2014, 10:10 AM

Sounds good. I am going to be doing this same swap soon also as the 2010 XLT i recently bought doesn't have fog lights.
Old 01-06-2014, 10:29 AM

I bought my fog lights from 1A Auto and the wiring harness on Ebay from Quirk. The wiring harness makes it nice and clean and easy. Talk soon...
Old 01-08-2014, 09:25 AM

Do you guys have links to your harness/switch part numbers or where you are buying from? Part #'s would be awesome. Much rather do factory wiring and switch inside for some LED's.
Old 01-08-2014, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllGo'N'Show View Post
Do you guys have links to your harness/switch part numbers or where you are buying from? Part #'s would be awesome. Much rather do factory wiring and switch inside for some LED's.
Here is the fog light wiring harness I purchased to add fog lights to my 08 F250 XLT that didn't come with them from the factory:

2008 2010 Ford F250 F350 F450 F550 Super Duty Fog Light Wiring Harness New | eBay

I also ordered this new headlight switch with the fog light option:

2008 2010 Ford Super Duty 2007 2010 Edge Headlight Switch Assembly New | eBay
Old 01-08-2014, 12:47 PM

The new switch is what I needed. It arrived today and I installed it. So you need the fog lights, wiring harness, and this switch to upgrade the XLT with foglights (The XL needs additional computer adjustments I have heard). Anyway here's what I ordered to get my fog lights to work:

Wiring Harness:

2008 2010 Ford F250 F350 F450 F550 Super Duty Fog Light Wiring Harness New | eBay

Headlight switch with fog light option:

2008 2010 Ford Super Duty 2007 2010 Edge Headlight Switch Assembly New | eBay

Fog lights:

2008 Ford F250 Truck Super Duty Fog / Driving Light Pair at 1AAuto.com

This first pic below is of the complete install with the empty box with the part numbers:

[IMG][/IMG]

Below is how to take the old one out:
[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

An alarm (ding ding ding ding) sounded when I unplugged the old switch. I tried putting the key in the ignition, turning the key on and then off again, but the alarm continued. I don't believe this step is required, but that's what I did.
[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by Romille1; 01-08-2014 at 12:54 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Romille1 For This Useful Post:
AllGo'N'Show (01-08-2014)
Old 01-08-2014, 03:36 PM

Thanks everyone for the links and numbers and pictures
Old 01-08-2014, 03:52 PM

You're welcome!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.