Xtreme Liner - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4 Exterior Discussion Body and Accessories Talk

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-10-2008, 09:07 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Xtreme Liner

Ok, so a while back I made a thread asking about what people did with their tailgate when getting a sprayed in bedliner. I figured I'd make a thread with what I did and include pics to give other people an idea. I also wanted to note that there are a lot of people in the Houston area looking for Line-X, which is no longer in Houston. The closest for me was Austin, and they were unwilling to make an appointment on the weekend, so I was out of luck with my work. After searching online, I decided to try Xtreme Liners of Houston, which Isaac had several praises for his work. He was even willing to setup an appointment on a holiday weekend to get my truck done. Hopefully, this will be a good alternative to Line-X, if not better.

I had the standard under-the-rail bedliner sprayed. As far as the tailgate goes, I took the handle off, pulled the bolts holding the plastic on, and had the entire tailgate sprayed. I can be quite picky at times, and wanted the entire bed to look the same...not have a sprayed bed and a plastic tailgate liner. Isaac was more than willing to work with me and thought it turned out very well. I have the tailgate handle and the bed extender thing, and everything bolts back into place and works just like it did before.

Here are some before and after pics, as well as some pics his wife graciously took while the job was being done. This will give everyone a good idea as to the process as well as what the tailgate looks like under the plastic liner. It is actually a standard tailgate with the access panel removed and a bracket bolted on to hold the handle.

One week later, my father and I made a trip to the deer lease, which saw some good use. After getting home and a quick spray down with the water hose, it looks good as new. I will try to make updates later down the road, to show how it holds up strength wise and color.

I highly recommend Isaac at Xtreme Liner of Houston if anyone is looking for a place to go. Xtreme Liners of Houston

All in all, I am extremely happy. The only thing I see that I do not like, is that the plastic liner is slightly wavy at the bottom of the tailgate, so I might go back and add two screws to keep it laying flat. It was like this before the bedliner, but wanted to make note in case someone noticed.

And just to note, I am not trying to sell bedliners, just show how mine turned out and hope to help someone else out there looking for one.

Enjoy

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2008, 08:02 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Great little write-up ... thanks for sharing this. I like what you
did with your tailgate!
Old 09-12-2008, 07:06 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

So, I was going to do the Line-X thing ... and I too have been
having a hard time getting my truck in on a week day. Well,
after reading your write-up yesterday I decided to see if there
was an Xtreme Liner dealer near me. I found there is one
about 26 miles down the road ... and they will spray my truck
on a Saturday!

So, I got a couple questions:

Did you have them spray under the plastic area of the tail
gate, or just over the plastic and the exposed metal areas
of the tailgate?

How well do you think the liner will stay on the plastic?

Did they have to rough up the plastic?
Old 09-12-2008, 10:48 AM

I pulled the bolts off of the tailgate and kept the plastic tabs holding the plastic on to the tailgate. He sanded down the paint around the edges and sprayed everything that was exposed like a normal tailgate. So underneath the plastic, part of the metal is still painted like normal. I wanted it like this in case I decide to delete the handle down the road, I can get a regular tailgate access panel and bolt it on, then have the tailgate sprayed.
I don't believe he roughed up the plastic. I asked if he thought there was any chance that it might not stick as well, and he said the stuff would stick to anything and that it wouldn't be a problem. So far so good. I figured if all else fails, the plastic piece couldn't be too expensive to replace, so I went for it.
Old 09-12-2008, 11:42 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpbuckster View Post
I pulled the bolts off of the tailgate and kept the plastic tabs holding the plastic on to the tailgate. He sanded down the paint around the edges and sprayed everything that was exposed like a normal tailgate. So underneath the plastic, part of the metal is still painted like normal. I wanted it like this in case I decide to delete the handle down the road, I can get a regular tailgate access panel and bolt it on, then have the tailgate sprayed.
I don't believe he roughed up the plastic. I asked if he thought there was any chance that it might not stick as well, and he said the stuff would stick to anything and that it wouldn't be a problem. So far so good. I figured if all else fails, the plastic piece couldn't be too expensive to replace, so I went for it.
Very cool!! Thanks for the info. Having mine done on the 27th
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.