Paint or ??? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4 Exterior Discussion Body and Accessories Talk

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2008, 02:45 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Paint or ???

I really want to get rid of the fake plasti chrome on my truck. I am thinking about pulling them off and painting them. Anybody have any advice for me, what to watch out for? Or is there any other suggestions or ways to change these? I have had both pieces off already. I painted the maroon vents flat black but that just wasnt enough.

sorry about the bad pics, camera phone

And yes its been raining for 3 days. Thats probably why this is bugging me so much. Usually my bike is sitting on the sidewalk, but instead I have been staring out the window looking at my truck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2008, 03:10 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I personally think they look pretty good as is. Just my
Old 08-20-2008, 05:16 PM
Premium Member

Sand them down, paint them and get some tinted marked lights. Then sell me your Rockstars!
Old 08-21-2008, 02:11 PM

Paint them......it will be fine...I painted mine months ago....I also just painted the lights on the mirror...CHEAP, looks good, and the light still shines thru plenty.
Old 08-21-2008, 10:31 PM

I think they would look good painted gloss black to match the truck with the mesh flat black to match the wheels. It would also match the FX4 grille better. I painted my mesh satin black and acetoned the badges. I'm getting the black RBP so it will all match, chrome outer and black inner.
Old 08-22-2008, 02:50 AM

Those badges would look awesome blacked out....so I am new to the mod game - how do you remove them? What kind of paint do you recommend? Any prep work on the badges required? Do yo need to sand them at all or just shoot em with paint?
Old 08-22-2008, 02:55 AM

Pahrump -

Can you post up a pic or two of your badges blacked out?? What did you use for paint - gloss or flat or....?
Old 08-22-2008, 09:51 AM

I pulled the fender liner when I popped them out before. It took 5-10 minutes a side. I need to figure out what paint to use. Im not sure what would stick best to plastic. I think there is a Krylon designed for plastic I will try. A friend of mine is using an engine enamel to paint the black plastics on his bike and he recommended that to me. I will probably paint the lights on the mirrors too. If they dont look good at least I can buy smoked versions. I havent found any emblems I would use.

I will probably get to it this weekend. I will post some pics up if it turns out good.

Thanks everybody for the suggestions.
Old 08-22-2008, 10:00 AM
Big Daddy!

The only reason I wouldn't have gone black, is because that is the color of the vents for a Gas Super Duty .... It makes it look like a wannabee trying to make a gas look like a diesel....Just my opinion.
Old 08-22-2008, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertcarmel View Post
The only reason I wouldn't have gone black, is because that is the color of the vents for a Gas Super Duty .... It makes it look like a wannabee trying to make a gas look like a diesel....Just my opinion.
Those red vents look on a black truck though. That is part of the reason I want to do the whole emblem and the mirrors so people will know I changed them. I do plan to put stacks on it eventually so there will be fewer doubts about it being a gasser.

But I did think about the black/gas connection. And these 6.4s are so quiet it could be mistaken for one. Maybe then people will stop asking me "What do you think about those high diesel prices?"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.