Color matching grille - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4 Exterior Discussion Body and Accessories Talk

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2013, 07:25 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Color matching grille

The chrome on my Lariat grille is bubbling and it's only a matter of time until it starts flaking. I want to scrape/peel/sand all the chrome off and repaint it to match my body which is black.

I've read about lots of people color matching but I would like to see if anyone has had experience removing the chrome. I don't want to get into this project and realize I've ruined my grille
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-22-2013, 07:35 PM
RollinEarly05...now

Feedback Score: 8 reviews
You will need to sand it off, spray a plastic adhesion promoter, prime it, sand again and then paint to the color of your choice.
Old 09-22-2013, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollinEarly99 View Post
You will need to sand it off, spray a plastic adhesion promoter, prime it, sand again and then paint to the color of your choice.
Thanks for the reply. I've read lots of people doing this on top of chrome or to a new grille they purchase from the dealership. Should I expect the chrome to come off just that easy? There's no 'damage' underneath it to the plastic of the grille?
Old 09-22-2013, 08:49 PM
RollinEarly05...now

Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Sanding it with a DA air powered sander does take it right off. But the plastic gets scratched since your using sand paper so that's where priming and re sanding with a higher grit sand paper while wet gets rid of the imperfections. Here is a great thread showing some steps and tips for sanding it...

Sanding Fake chrome

Last edited by RollinEarly99; 09-22-2013 at 10:21 PM.
Old 09-23-2013, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian86992 View Post
The chrome on my Lariat grille is bubbling and it's only a matter of time until it starts flaking. I want to scrape/peel/sand all the chrome off and repaint it to match my body which is black.

I've read about lots of people color matching but I would like to see if anyone has had experience removing the chrome. I don't want to get into this project and realize I've ruined my grille
My chrome was bubbling as well. Peeled the chrome to reveal unharmed plastic underneath.
Old 09-23-2013, 11:27 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I always sandblast the chrome off before painting chrome grilles... however there are many grilles that are inexpensive that are ready for paint in the aftermarket realm... LKQ has them
Old 09-24-2013, 06:35 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I've read somewhere that easy off oven cleaner will pull chrome off of plastic parts. I don't want to tell you to do it and then it screw up your grille, but it's something maybe you can research a little to see.

Other than that, you can buy a factory painted grille from a ford dealer. The fx4 or the xlt sport grille should come in the black you've got. I use tascaparts.com when I buy parts like that.
Old 01-31-2014, 04:01 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

After a slight meeting between my truck and a tree I decided to go the route of painting mine instead of replacing it. I tried easy off and one person even suggested brake fluid. Neither worked. Took some time but I ended up peeling the chrome off with an exacto knife a set of bull nose pliers and. It took forever but under the chrome coating is a primed ready to paint grill.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.