Exterior Updates? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4 Exterior Discussion Body and Accessories Talk

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-10-2013, 03:31 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Exterior Updates?

What has everyone done for the updating for their trucks? I am more of a factory finish/stock guy myself.

Needless to say, my truck is 5 years old and has 108,000 miles. The paint is in good shape, expect for the occasion ding or minor scratch, but as far as I can remember the tailgate has a few minor dings and the bumper does as well. Not a big deal in my opinion, I use the truck for work. Not to down talk the truck, it's truly in great shape for the age and mileage. Here is my list of what I would I like to do.

Headlights-They are looking a little cloudy, but not bad. Replace or have resurfaced?

Cab lights-Changed one light bulb on top, decided it's time to replace or resurface.

Side markers- Replaced one, thinking about replacing these as well.

Mirrors-One new, one needs to be updated because I am certainly not paying $1450.00 for a new one.

Wiper Cowl- Probably needs to be replaced.

Bottom line, what have you guys done to help keep you truck updated? What have you replaced, or what have you taken upon yourself to personally restore (as in, wet sanding and clear coating the head lights or cab lights)? Do I buy new and where at? Has anyone had experience with aftermarket parts or go with Ford?

Let's be honest, I can be a frugal person, but I don't mine paying for things when need be.

Thanks for all the advice, much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-10-2013, 04:22 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Clay bar, wax, polish once a year will greatly extend the life if paint.

Headlights can be restored easily

I tried meguires back to black on the bumper plastic and wiper cowl, it really didn't help much. I need a good back to black polish or stain or I will have to paint my plastics which I don't want to do.

I try to replace the worn out equipment like my fx4 grille and took off the rubber door moulding completely. Ford isn't a bad company but my truck only has 55k and its age (2008) is starting to come through. I feel you just need to bite the bullet and replace parts when they become worn.
Old 09-10-2013, 05:31 PM
Premium Member

I recently painted my grille, front bumper trim, rear bumper step pads, wiper arms and even my running boards with a satin black paint made for plastics, AND I LOVE IT. It looks like I just put silicone dressing on them all the time! So far (a few weeks) it has lasted really well. I plan on doing my towing mirrors and cowl cover. I'm saving the tire stuff for the tires! I touched up some sun fading on door panels and a mystery stain on the dash with SEM Color Coat trim paint and the match was dead on. I keep a little bottle of DupliColor touch-up paint for all my vehicles for little chips and scratches. I polish my headlights and corner lamps occasionally, and use Rain-X on them and front windshields. Vehicles are generally a poor investment. I plan to get my money's worth.
Old 09-10-2013, 07:22 PM
Premium Member

Craigslist and eBay are great places to find good used or like-new "take-offs", as are local truck custom shops. You'd be surprised what people leave behind after they install aftermarket goodies. A/M goodies are also fun to shop for when customizing your truck, sometimes cost less than used original and almost always less than new from Ford. Then some things, like headlights, usually aren't as good quality as OEM. Personalize your truck, and hold on to your take-offs in case of an accident or happy buyer comes along. But don't get too wild if you plan to sell or trade one day. One man's treasure is another man's trash!
Old 09-11-2013, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdwngs444 View Post
Clay bar, wax, polish once a year will greatly extend the life if paint.

Headlights can be restored easily

I tried meguires back to black on the bumper plastic and wiper cowl, it really didn't help much. I need a good back to black polish or stain or I will have to paint my plastics which I don't want to do.

I try to replace the worn out equipment like my fx4 grille and took off the rubber door moulding completely. Ford isn't a bad company but my truck only has 55k and its age (2008) is starting to come through. I feel you just need to bite the bullet and replace parts when they become worn.
Couldn't agree with you more on all of your points. It gets a good clay bar, compound, wax twice a year.

I am sure there are some good "back to black" polishes we can find, hence my asking. I am sure someone has used a decent one.

Headlights can be done, but I have not found a kit to do them yet that I have had success with.

Ford is a great company, but my truck sits out in the Florida sun 24/7, things are going to fade, it's unpreventable. Period. Nothing against Ford in the least bit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AU7POINT3 View Post
I recently painted my grille, front bumper trim, rear bumper step pads, wiper arms and even my running boards with a satin black paint made for plastics, AND I LOVE IT. It looks like I just put silicone dressing on them all the time! So far (a few weeks) it has lasted really well. I plan on doing my towing mirrors and cowl cover. I'm saving the tire stuff for the tires! I touched up some sun fading on door panels and a mystery stain on the dash with SEM Color Coat trim paint and the match was dead on. I keep a little bottle of DupliColor touch-up paint for all my vehicles for little chips and scratches. I polish my headlights and corner lamps occasionally, and use Rain-X on them and front windshields. Vehicles are generally a poor investment. I plan to get my money's worth.
I would like to hold off on painting for now, but not ruling it out completely.

My body paints (vehicles) for a living, so he will do any paint on the actual body. But really the headlights, running lights and cab lights are my main concern. That's for the rain-x reminder, I need to go reapply.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.