First Lift Need Help - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4 Exterior Discussion Body and Accessories Talk

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-11-2013, 10:58 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
First Lift Need Help

This is my first post here and I've used this site to look up information about my truck a lot but the reason I decided to join is I'm about to lift my truck and just wanted to get some opinions before I spend what seems like a ton of money to me. (I'm 24 and saving up for law school so I need to make smart choices but I also want to do things right the first time)

I'll try to post a pic of my truck in my next post but it's a 2010 XL FX4 CC with factory 20's. Had it for about a year and a half and had originally planned to do the lift when I bought but just kept putting it off.

I just put a ranch hand grill guard and a tool box on it and now it's time for the lift because I know I won't do it unless I do it now when I've got some extra cash.

I know it doesn't have the best reputation on here but I think Rough Country is going to be the best value for me. It seems like the worst complaint is that they ride rough. In talking with people and reading on forums I haven't heard too many complaints of them breaking.

I'm trying to decide between their 4.5" or 6" radius arm drop kit or the 6" 4 link kit.

I really like the look of the 6" with 37" tires.

I'm planning on sticking with factory 20"x8" wheels since I believe they have 4.5" backspacing which would be enough to run a 37x12.5x20 tire? Does anyone have experience with this. I've seen some pics of guys running 37's on factory 20's.

My main question is will it be a mistake going with Rough Country. The truck will never see heavy towing but it will venture off the pavement some. Riding property lines and hauling supplies to build shooting houses in some pretty rutted up areas sometimes but nothing too serious at all.

Also, I just don't know a whole lot about lifts and my friends mostly lift jeeps not F250's.

Would I need to regear if I went with 37's? Will I wear the hub assembly significantly faster? Is there any reason not to go with 37's just for mainly a vehicle used for commuting?

Is there a thread that has all the info you need on lifting before you do it?

Thanks guys I'm looking forward to lifting my truck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2013, 01:31 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

If you just lookin to get it in the air and not ride quality you will be fine. Fuel milage will drop off a lot, I'm sure you know that. And yes there are tons of threads about lifts and there's a specific 6.4 thread with pics of lifted trucks

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 05-12-2013, 05:43 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Yes I know about fuel mileage drop, what I've read so far is anywhere between 2-6 depending on this size lift. Is that what you've seen? I've been reading as many threads as possible. I've looked at every pic in the lifted trucks thread. I do like the appearance of the 6" with 37's better.

What I was curious about is will a 4.5" with 35's cause significantly less wear on hub assembly, tranny etc?

Will I be fine putting 37's on factory 20's? I think I will because I believe they have 4.5" of backspacing or am I missing something?

Also, the shop I'm getting to install it said that Rough Country would ride rougher, not have as much travel or articulation but hadn't seen them cause too many problems before. Is that the experience of guys on here?

Last edited by CSOL; 05-12-2013 at 06:08 AM.
Old 05-12-2013, 06:50 AM

I plan on putting a Bds 4 inch lift with a Icon tei 1 inch spacer on mine. As well as front and back fox shocks and maybe some traction bars. I called the people at trucktoyzstore and the guy i talked to said he couldn't tell a difference in the ride of the BDS vs the Icon. He mentioned that the head suspension tech there could tell a slight difference but he is so trained and knows what to feel for that the normal person likely couldn't tell. I decided on this setup because it was about 600 cheaper than something like a Icon 4.5 and I didnt want to do a lot of lift but i wanted a hair more than a 4 inch. Dont overlook the shocks, i would ditch the rough country shocks and spend a little more money on something like a fox,bilstein,or icon. I also plan on putting 37's on my stock 20's but will change them to an aftermarket rim as soon as i get the money as the stock rims are not wide enough for me to feel safe running that big of a tire.
Old 05-12-2013, 12:00 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

What is unsafe about a 12.5" wide tire on a 8" wide wheel? The minimum recommended wheel width is 8.5" but I've talked to a lot of people who said an 8 " wheel would not be a problem?
Old 05-12-2013, 12:03 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

That seems to be pretty much universal that Rough Country shocks aren't real good. I wish they had a bilstein replacement option instead of having to buy the kit and Bilsteins then trying to sell Rough Country shocks which probably isn't the easiest thing to do
Old 05-12-2013, 02:27 PM

Should have asked what tire... But the toyo mts that I want are 13.5 wide and that is getting scetchy like I said. But I would still want to run a wider rim since it will help the tires to wear better. You should be fine with a. 12.5 though! Good luck. My apologize for the crapy typing. Posted from my iPhone
Old 05-12-2013, 05:00 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I have only found two 37x12.5x20 tires so far. The Nitto Trail Grappler M/T's which don't get the best reviews and BFG KM2 M/T's which are insanely high priced. I'm sure there are others but I haven't found them yet.

I go back and forth just about every hour on whether to do 4.5" with 35's or 6" with 37's.

I like the look of the 37's but I don't want every body to always be telling me how big my truck is that is annoying.

Another option I just found out is I could just do Bushwacker flares with no lift and fit 37's.
Old 05-12-2013, 05:37 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Most guys wish they went with a bigger lift, 37s are a better look with these trucks IMO. I don't know the price of the rough country, but I have an economical lift on my truck 8" radius arm fabtech with their crappy shocks and it rides just fine. Get new wheels, this 8" wide stockers will look goofy compared to a wider 10 or 12" wide wheel, and wheels these days aren't that expensive. I've owned 4 types of mud tires in my day and I know I will never buy anything else than toyo, nitto and bfg were so bad for me. All my personal opinion of course
Old 05-12-2013, 09:43 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Nice looking rig! I know those Toyo M/T's are good tires my brother has some on his 150 and my cousin has some on his 350. I think I'm going to take your advice.

I don't think there is anything else I need to get other than a dual steering stabilizer. The kit comes with braided brake lines already. I am going to get a shop to install it so hopefully they will be on their A game I just like to know as much about as I can to make sure they do everything the right way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.