Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

First Lift Need Help

3K views 20 replies 6 participants last post by  CSOL 
#1 ·
This is my first post here and I've used this site to look up information about my truck a lot but the reason I decided to join is I'm about to lift my truck and just wanted to get some opinions before I spend what seems like a ton of money to me. (I'm 24 and saving up for law school so I need to make smart choices but I also want to do things right the first time)

I'll try to post a pic of my truck in my next post but it's a 2010 XL FX4 CC with factory 20's. Had it for about a year and a half and had originally planned to do the lift when I bought but just kept putting it off.

I just put a ranch hand grill guard and a tool box on it and now it's time for the lift because I know I won't do it unless I do it now when I've got some extra cash.

I know it doesn't have the best reputation on here but I think Rough Country is going to be the best value for me. It seems like the worst complaint is that they ride rough. In talking with people and reading on forums I haven't heard too many complaints of them breaking.

I'm trying to decide between their 4.5" or 6" radius arm drop kit or the 6" 4 link kit.

I really like the look of the 6" with 37" tires.

I'm planning on sticking with factory 20"x8" wheels since I believe they have 4.5" backspacing which would be enough to run a 37x12.5x20 tire? Does anyone have experience with this. I've seen some pics of guys running 37's on factory 20's.

My main question is will it be a mistake going with Rough Country. The truck will never see heavy towing but it will venture off the pavement some. Riding property lines and hauling supplies to build shooting houses in some pretty rutted up areas sometimes but nothing too serious at all.

Also, I just don't know a whole lot about lifts and my friends mostly lift jeeps not F250's.

Would I need to regear if I went with 37's? Will I wear the hub assembly significantly faster? Is there any reason not to go with 37's just for mainly a vehicle used for commuting?

Is there a thread that has all the info you need on lifting before you do it?

Thanks guys I'm looking forward to lifting my truck.

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
Yes I know about fuel mileage drop, what I've read so far is anywhere between 2-6 depending on this size lift. Is that what you've seen? I've been reading as many threads as possible. I've looked at every pic in the lifted trucks thread. I do like the appearance of the 6" with 37's better.

What I was curious about is will a 4.5" with 35's cause significantly less wear on hub assembly, tranny etc?

Will I be fine putting 37's on factory 20's? I think I will because I believe they have 4.5" of backspacing or am I missing something?

Also, the shop I'm getting to install it said that Rough Country would ride rougher, not have as much travel or articulation but hadn't seen them cause too many problems before. Is that the experience of guys on here?

#4 ·
I plan on putting a Bds 4 inch lift with a Icon tei 1 inch spacer on mine. As well as front and back fox shocks and maybe some traction bars. I called the people at trucktoyzstore and the guy i talked to said he couldn't tell a difference in the ride of the BDS vs the Icon. He mentioned that the head suspension tech there could tell a slight difference but he is so trained and knows what to feel for that the normal person likely couldn't tell. I decided on this setup because it was about 600 cheaper than something like a Icon 4.5 and I didnt want to do a lot of lift but i wanted a hair more than a 4 inch. Dont overlook the shocks, i would ditch the rough country shocks and spend a little more money on something like a fox,bilstein,or icon. I also plan on putting 37's on my stock 20's but will change them to an aftermarket rim as soon as i get the money as the stock rims are not wide enough for me to feel safe running that big of a tire.

#6 ·
That seems to be pretty much universal that Rough Country shocks aren't real good. I wish they had a bilstein replacement option instead of having to buy the kit and Bilsteins then trying to sell Rough Country shocks which probably isn't the easiest thing to do :hehe:

#7 ·
Should have asked what tire... But the toyo mts that I want are 13.5 wide and that is getting scetchy like I said. But I would still want to run a wider rim since it will help the tires to wear better. You should be fine with a. 12.5 though! Good luck. My apologize for the crapy typing. Posted from my iPhone

#8 ·
I have only found two 37x12.5x20 tires so far. The Nitto Trail Grappler M/T's which don't get the best reviews and BFG KM2 M/T's which are insanely high priced. I'm sure there are others but I haven't found them yet.

I go back and forth just about every hour on whether to do 4.5" with 35's or 6" with 37's.

I like the look of the 37's but I don't want every body to always be telling me how big my truck is that is annoying.

Another option I just found out is I could just do Bushwacker flares with no lift and fit 37's.

#9 ·
Most guys wish they went with a bigger lift, 37s are a better look with these trucks IMO. I don't know the price of the rough country, but I have an economical lift on my truck 8" radius arm fabtech with their crappy shocks and it rides just fine. Get new wheels, this 8" wide stockers will look goofy compared to a wider 10 or 12" wide wheel, and wheels these days aren't that expensive. I've owned 4 types of mud tires in my day and I know I will never buy anything else than toyo, nitto and bfg were so bad for me. All my personal opinion of course

#10 ·
Nice looking rig! I know those Toyo M/T's are good tires my brother has some on his 150 and my cousin has some on his 350. I think I'm going to take your advice.

I don't think there is anything else I need to get other than a dual steering stabilizer. The kit comes with braided brake lines already. I am going to get a shop to install it so hopefully they will be on their A game I just like to know as much about as I can to make sure they do everything the right way.

#11 ·
i run the 3.5" leveling kit from readylift with 37x13.5 toyo mt's on stock 20s. truck looks good, rides great, and doesn't have that "jacked up" look like you're worried about. just a thought.

#12 ·
Here's a link to some stuff with my truck.

http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/general-6-4l-discussion/262708-new-me-truck.html

I currently have a 4.5" Rough Country lift with 325/60/20 Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs. I love the setup.

This size tire is going to become the new "35". It's just a tad bigger but really looks good with a 4.5" lift. It doesn't matter what I think but I don't like the "stuffed" look.

Do you haul anything? I haul tandem dual goosenecks and this is about the max height that I would want for hauling. If you're only hauling bumper pulls, the ride height doesn't really matter because you can get a drop hitch.

My vote is for the 4.5" Rough Country. Later on, you can upgrade to the Icon front coils ($300ish) and upgrade your shocks as your RC shocks wear out.

Make sure to post up some pics when you lift it.

#13 ·
Thanks p8ntballn2 and fordpwrstroke7. You both have some nice looking trucks and I'll definitely post up pics when I get finished.

I pretty much want to do exactly the same mods as you do fordpwrstoke7. Love the look of yours and that is making me want to go with the 4.5" especially with the bigger tires the 325/60/20's. My next two mods will be tuner and dpf delete then traction bars.

Just going for a beefed up stock looking truck.

I don't ever tow anything heavy and I like the look of a truck that is completely level or just slightly higher in the front.

Here's what I'm thinking right now is with the ranch hand grill guard it makes the front look lower than it normally would.

I could go with the 4.5" kit and add the tei 1" spacer to get the stance I want.

BUT just buying a 6" kit would less money and I wouldn't have spacers that way plus I'd be able to run 37's.

The look I'm going for is really just a beefed up stockish looking truck that is really aggressive and I think 6" with 37's maybe too much for that but I think that having the stock wheels without any chrome anywhere will subdue it a little bit so I might be able to pull it off.

#14 ·
I'm moving slow at figuring this out but I am making progress. I know that I am definitely going to be running stock wheels and that I am either going to be going with the Rough Country 4.5" lift or the Rancho 4" lift.

The 4" Rancho says that it will clear 37's so I may end up just going with that because it will be exactly the look that I want.

If I don't do that I will probably end up going with the same size lift and tire fordpwrstroke7 put on his. I think that looks really good.

I still have to figure out what brand and size tires and what dual steering stabilizer to run.

I sent you a PM p8ntballn2. That is the look I am going for is exactly the stance that you have. What do you think about fitting 37's on the Rough Country 4.5" lift with factory wheels?

#15 ·
they should fit without issue on stock 20's.. the Nitto 37's are 37x12.50x20 and the Toyo's are 37x13.50x20, i might run the nitto's on my next set, the Toyo's are tad wide for the 8" wide stock 20. but i love the look and the tires dont stick out of the wheel wells.

does that rough country give you a new rear block in the back? or does it give you new rear leaf spring?

#16 ·
#17 ·
running the top gun customz with bilestein shocks..

#18 ·
#19 ·
I ordered my tires from a local shop today and decided to go with a 35x12.5x20 Toyo Open Country MT.

Anybody know who has the best deal on Rough Country 4.5" drop lift? I will also need a dual steering stabilizer and would be interested in possibly getting Bilstein 5100's instead of the RC shocks.

I decided to go with that because I am saving for school right now and will go with a nice 4 link later when I get a second vehicle that is fuel efficient and convert this to a fun vehicle.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.