Snugtop cab hi topper and Full metal jack rabbit? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4 Exterior Discussion Body and Accessories Talk

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2008, 07:39 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Snugtop cab hi topper and Full metal jack rabbit?

My needs are very strange to many, however I only need the Snugtop camper shell on my truck about 30% of the time when camping/hiking/traveling/snowshoeing/boating/surfing with the dogs. My 2 dogs I really enjoy taking with me all the time and they sure like to get into all the fun stuff I do, and I would like to stop trashing the interiors of vehicles with dog hair, dirt and wet dog smell. The other 70% I need to have a lockable bed that I can open up to carry MotoX bikes, snowmobile and then have a locked bed for tools and goods on a daily use.

I thought the ultimate solution would be to have a Pace Edwards Full Metal Jack Rabbit for daily use and then to suspend on a pulley system in my garage with the Snugtop camper shell ready to lower onto the truck for the other times. When looking at the specifics of how the Snugtop attaches, I notice how it clamps to the bed rails. Is anyone aware of a clamping system that would take the Jack Rabbit(or like) system into account allowing the Snugtop to be retro fitted for such use?

Any thoughts or advice/recommendations on how you all deal with this would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2008, 06:42 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via AIM to rdkl Send a message via Yahoo to rdkl
Have you looked at any of the softshell options like softtopper.com or the bestop ones? Might be easier for occasional use.

Sorry I don't have too much input on the mounting. I do know my friend has a snugtop on order for this 08 Tacoma which has a weird bed and they will be clamping into the slide rails on the sides.
Old 02-26-2008, 06:58 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Raul@Stealth Automotive
Best top makes a very cool softtop camper shell thing.... it goes up and down very easily... Supertop® for Truck - Tops and Accessories for Jeep & GM, Ford, Dodge Trucks by Bestop

and a small video: Toyota Tacoma Accessories by Bestop

Last edited by Raul@Stealth Automotive; 02-26-2008 at 07:02 AM.
Old 02-26-2008, 07:16 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thank you for your responses, I had looked into the "soft-top" style campers you are speaking of however with the climate changes in AK and with the travel distances and tight roads, tress and low hanging brush to tear the soft tops, I feel the fiberglass top is necessary.

I have looked at the soft tonneau covers too, however I need one that locks and can not be easily broken into. Again the cover material holding up to rain, snow, sun, rain snow sleet constantly and then well below freezeing temps -20F, I only see the materials cracking.

Thanks and please keep your thoughts coming. I am thinking if I can find a larger style c- clamps to fit around the rails then its just a matter of coming up with a method to hold the snugtop/hardtop on at the front of the bed.

please chime in with your input!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.