Bumper Grille and Fog Lights Mod - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4 Exterior Discussion Body and Accessories Talk

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2013, 07:57 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Bumper Grille and Fog Lights Mod

It always bothered me the way my bumper looked. The aftermarket bumper makers for some odd reason aim for farmers ONLY. WTF. There is more of these trucks in my city than in all the farms put together. Also no grille available.... anywhere I looked (to match the Harley one)......and those fog lights man.....no attention to detail. Dont BS yourself thinking its a truck , its supposed to look rugged . Its suppose to BE rough....not LOOK rough.

So I thought about buildin my own grille. Got some C channel aluminum , bent it , welded it , polished it , black chromed it to match the rest of truck ......and there is that
I dunno......what do you think ???

The grille project.....nooo problem (took me about 5-6 hrs), but when I made those fog lights bezels....ohhh man (5 days/over 30 hrs). Body work and paint is a B!TCH.
I respect the Body Men for their patience .

Anyways....Im done now ,with the exception of my hooks. I wanna put them back , but after I shave em about 1/4" so they fit in between the billets.
Attached Thumbnails
Bumper Grille and Fog Lights Mod-009.jpg   Bumper Grille and Fog Lights Mod-010.jpg   Bumper Grille and Fog Lights Mod-012.jpg   Bumper Grille and Fog Lights Mod-107.jpg   Bumper Grille and Fog Lights Mod-110.jpg  

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2013, 02:30 AM

i like the look man, GREAT JOB.

but how do you use your tow hooks now. or did you take them off?
Old 04-23-2013, 05:14 AM

Oh ya. I'm lovin it! What about your tow hooks?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 04-23-2013, 05:38 AM
Emergency Services

looks good man. Iam deffinatly wanting to do somthing diffrent with my grille and bumper but havent decieded what yet
Old 04-23-2013, 09:50 AM

Looks great bud!
Old 04-23-2013, 04:39 PM

I thank all of you .
The hooks I had to take them off and shave them a 1/4" , so they can fit without touching in between the billets.
I put them back today....I was thinking on my 7.3L and my 6L I never used them once. But you never know ....when you need them , you really need them. Kinda like insurance...ha ha.
Here is some pics with hooks on it .
Attached Thumbnails
Bumper Grille and Fog Lights Mod-002.jpg   Bumper Grille and Fog Lights Mod-004.jpg   Bumper Grille and Fog Lights Mod-003.jpg  
Old 04-30-2013, 07:37 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

That grill looks great, would you ever build another to sell? Or maybe make up some dimensions?
Old 05-01-2013, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtyharry44 View Post
That grill looks great, would you ever build another to sell? Or maybe make up some dimensions?
Thank you Harry44. If you are local to me Id help you build your own. Or at least tell you what you need & where to get it. I completely hand made it. If you looked at it, up close & pick on it, you can tell.
I routed the c channel to match the main grille billets. I bent The c channel sticks by hand …… no template used ……. forming them little at a time & putting them against the bumper, to match the contour of it. Then I welded 3 studs vertically to the billets …… one in center & 2 other ones to hide behind the bumper. On the ends of those studs upper & lower I welded 6 brackets ……..made from 1” flat bar alum. with an oval hole in it. Then I sanded the billets smooth…..all the way down to 1000 grit & polished them. On the inside of the bumpers I tack welded (six) 10mm X Ύ” studs. That’s where the grille attaches to with 10mm nuts.
The problem I ran in to……..is the tow hooks. I had to take them to a local machine shop & shave them down a Ό “, so they can fit loosely between the grille.
Some tools are needed like ….. a welder (for steel & aluminum), bend saw, router, sander, buffing wheel & a few hand tools.
If I can help in any way PM me with your number.
Old 05-01-2013, 04:17 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for the tips. I do have most of the tools. I guess Ill give it a try and see how it comes out. If I have any questions, I'll shoot you a pm. Thanks again!

One more question. What size C channel did you use?

Last edited by dirtyharry44; 05-01-2013 at 04:23 PM.
Old 05-01-2013, 05:22 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Lose the tow hooks in my opinion, looks much cleaner without them. Overall very nice job!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.