Help with headlights and fender vents - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4 Exterior Discussion Body and Accessories Talk

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2013, 08:25 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Help with headlights and fender vents

Hey guys....
Just got a 08 silver with charcoal fx4 the other day and I've seen some bad *** pictures of the painted vents and headlights but they're mostly on black or white trucks...so if anybody has pictures of that stuff on a silver truck post them up.. What I'm thinking on the vents is black mesh or just paint the stock honeycomb then just tent the chrome....then maybe either silver or charcoal or even black for the headlights....any good ideas and pictures would be awesome......

Thanks guys
P.s. I need a retard proof instruction on how to take apart and put back together the headlights
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2013, 12:18 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Here is a link to some that I did on my truck.
Finally painted my Fender Vents
I think yours would be bad as if you did the gray like mine then silver in the lettering or even red would look bad a$$ on a silver truck.

As far as doing the head light there are a ton of threads on that. It's pretty easy and pain less.
Old 02-05-2013, 05:59 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
In a nutshell, the headlights are a PITA. You have to take out all the bulbs, remove the screws, and fire up the oven. Set it to BAKE at 220 degrees and place the rack on the lower part of the oven. Put the headlight in there with the lens facing up, so it's not too close to the heating element. Leave it in there for 20 minutes, and keep checking on it to make sure there are no signs of burning on the lens. It takes longer than some other lights to warm up that tough black glue. Once the 20 mins has passed, take the headlight out and use a flathead screwdriver to start prying in between the lens and the housing. Be careful to remove the tabs and try not to break them since they are pretty soft at this point. Try to "crack" the seal around the entire edge of the light before you start pulling it apart. Once the seal is broken you can start pulling the lens apart from the housing. You may have to go back in a few spots and pry some more. Patience here is the key to not breaking your headlight. If it gets cool throw it back in and give it more heat. Once you get it apart, put it back in for another 10-20 mins to heat up the glue again. If you get the glue warm, you can pretty much pull it out from the channel all the way around the housing. Clean out the channel of any leftover glue. Remove the plastic yellow reflector by removing the 3 screws holding it in place. Paint it. Put it back in. You can buy butyl tape from theretrofitsource.com and use it to seal the light back up.

Any questions go check out the threads for headlight retrofits in the electronics section. There are about 3 of them. Good luck.
Old 02-07-2013, 06:47 AM

Do you have Facebook? There is a guy in there that does headlights for I believe $200. He sends you a stock set to use, you send yours, he paints them and sends them back.

Does good work too!
Old 02-07-2013, 09:10 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I didn't think it was that bad of a job to paint headlights. I didnt go the oven route, i used a heat gun and a flathead to pry them open. Honestly i thought it was time consuming, but its deffinetly worth it. I sealed them back up with 3m window cauk and havent had any issues.
Old 02-07-2013, 01:42 PM

Re: Help with headlights and fender vents

I need to paint my headlights also looks so dam good.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Old 02-07-2013, 01:53 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
So far all this talk and not a single picture of painted headlights...talk about a disappointment
Old 02-12-2013, 12:03 AM

Old 02-12-2013, 02:41 PM

Tony those look bad a$$! Did you tint the chrome for the blinker light? Also what white led bulb did you use for the blinker?
Old 02-12-2013, 02:48 PM

Thx. No I did my tiny the chrome, I think what you're asking is how did I make it black? If so, open up the headlights and use easy-off oven cleaner and it melts the chrome away.

I used led switchback turn signal bulbs. White when running and amber when turning. I don't have the model # handy but I'll try to post it later. Bought them on eBay.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.