What gears are you using with a 6" lift? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4 Exterior Discussion Body and Accessories Talk

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2012, 10:52 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Exclamation What gears are you using with a 6" lift?

I have an '08 F250, 6.4L crew cab, short box, 4x4. With a 6" lift, riding on 37x13.5x20" Toyo Mt's.
So I'm suffering the usual set backs of adding big tires and a lift.
I'd like to know what gears anyone switched to after doing these mods, and what results you've gotten from the change. I don't do extreme towing or excessive work with my truck, its just general pick up truck use.
I plan on adding an intake, exhaust, intercooler,and chip soon to also aid in the power and fuel economy loses. Which brings me to my next question, has anyone done brake kit upgrades etc? and has anyone switched to discs in the rear?
Any proper answers, or direction to other discussions on these topics (saving me loads of surfing time! there's sooo much info on here!), would be greatly appreciated! THANKS!

Last edited by DieselPowerFan; 12-12-2012 at 11:12 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2012, 05:07 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via AIM to blackcloud2k Send a message via Yahoo to blackcloud2k
What gears are in your truck already? 3.55? 3.73? You should be fine with 3.73, 4.10 might suit your needs better though. As for brakes, these trucks already have disc brakes on all 4 corners. I havent read of to many people upgrading the whole brake system. A good set of pads on stock rotors will work just fine. My truck stops well with stock pads and rotors, but Im only on 35's.
Old 12-13-2012, 05:48 AM
Premium Member

Some people do a brake upgrade. If you have the extra money it for sure wouldnt hurt anything. If you dont want to spend the money you will be ok. I havent read up too much on the gears for these trucks. i came from f150s soi know on those trucks 4:56 or 4:88s was what was recommended for 37" tires. They also dont have the power of these trucks.

Id spend my money on a good tuner. dpf delete EGR delete and intake. then do the other stuff later
Old 12-13-2012, 09:00 AM

Thanks for the responses!
The brakes are going to be a must for me, as breaking distance is absolutely scary, the feeling is so soft and the truck takes its sweet time to come to a stop. As for the dpf and egr delete etc, I will be addressing all these and the other common issues with the 6.4L trucks very soon. I'm just currently planning on which parts to pair together etc. I also want to upgrade the lift that was put in it, the ride isn't the greatest, I realize it's a truck and yes its lifted, but I've been in trucks with a high end Fab Tech or Pro Comp lift, and mine doesn't compare with the cheap Tough Country lift that is currently in it, dual stabilizers are a must to, as the truck loves to wonder big time after hitting a large bump or whoop at hwy speeds.
Old 12-13-2012, 11:14 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselPowerFan View Post
Thanks for the responses!
The brakes are going to be a must for me, as breaking distance is absolutely scary, the feeling is so soft and the truck takes its sweet time to come to a stop. As for the dpf and egr delete etc, I will be addressing all these and the other common issues with the 6.4L trucks very soon. I'm just currently planning on which parts to pair together etc. I also want to upgrade the lift that was put in it, the ride isn't the greatest, I realize it's a truck and yes its lifted, but I've been in trucks with a high end Fab Tech or Pro Comp lift, and mine doesn't compare with the cheap Tough Country lift that is currently in it, dual stabilizers are a must to, as the truck loves to wonder big time after hitting a large bump or whoop at hwy speeds.
I have 10-12 lift on 40" tires with stock gears (but spartan 210 tune) and I did notice a big difference in power and gass milage from the 37s and level kit.

I did not do breaks yet either but if you hot rod around at all you would be silly not to as the truck is way to big and fast for the stock system.
I will add breaks and I dont even hot rod around.
for around 4K you can get 16" rotor wilwoods 6 piston that would do the trick no problem but I relize 4K is alot so you could also go with BEAR or SSBC for alot less in 14" rotors.

my eslade has SSBC on it and I am gonna see it they will mount to my truck and get wilwood for the esclade (mostly for looks the SSBC stop it no problem even supercharged)
Old 12-13-2012, 11:57 AM

My breaking issues described are from just day to day NORMAL driving through town and country Hwy's. I don't "hot rod around", as stated I have no faith in the performance of the stock breaks, and with the lack of steering stabilizers at the moment, I keep my driving habits casual. I just bought the truck (said good bye to my 2011 in the divorce blah blah blah) so I'm sorting out all the mechanical and other typical gremlins associated with the stock and aftermarket parts.
Thanks for the responses and suggestions.
Old 12-16-2012, 06:13 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
My breaking issues described are from just day to day NORMAL driving through town and country Hwy's. I don't "hot rod around", as stated I have no faith in the performance of the stock breaks, and with the lack of steering stabilizers at the moment, I keep my driving habits casual. I just bought the truck (said good bye to my 2011 in the divorce blah blah blah) so I'm sorting out all the mechanical and other typical gremlins associated with the stock and aftermarket parts. <br />
Thanks for the responses and suggestions.
Sounds like you need to take a look at your brakes. Something has got to be wrong. Maybe stuck caliper slides, air in the lines, something. I have 37s on 22" wheels which are heavy as sin and I have no problem stopping. When I first got it I had to replace both front caliper brackets because the slides were rusted and it wouldn't stop it was scary.
Old 12-17-2012, 05:56 PM

same here i have no issue stopping, have the brake system checked.
I know people say go 4.30 gears but idk, when i move up to 37's ill probably go to 4.10. i have 3.73 on 35" tires right now.
Old 12-18-2012, 04:07 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCKETW19 View Post
I have 10-12 lift on 40" tires with stock gears (but spartan 210 tune) and I did notice a big difference in power and gass milage from the 37s and level kit.
I have the same lift with 38" tires. I will be going to 40" tires very soon. I would like to know what is a good size gear to run to try and bring it back to stock. Not sure on a 4.30 or 4.56 and a good brand. Any help would be great. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.