Power Fold Fix for $5 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4 Exterior Discussion Body and Accessories Talk

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2012, 08:05 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Power Fold Fix for $5

After not having much luck finding a thread on fixing one- I decided it was time to dive in and figure it out. I wasn't planning on doing a tutorial, but did take a few pictures along the way. Hopefully I can save someone else the $1,000+ that the dealer wants for a new mirror. There is a lot to these mirrors, but that is just stupid.

Before starting- The problem I was having was the passenger side not folding in or out. I could hear the little motor whining, but no movement. All other functions worked fine.

For those mechanically inclined I will cut to the chase- Below is the ultimate problem that needs addressed-

As you can see it is a worm gear setup. The gear is a plastic gear on a knurled shaft. Well the plastic wore, and started spinning on the shaft. Still a snug fit, but not quite enough. Cleaned it up, added a bit of JB weld, and reassembled. Good as new!

1. Leave the mirror attached to the vehicle until all plastic has been removed. Start by removing both mirror glasses. Pretty easy to do without breaking the glass. Position mirrors in the extreme up and out position. Use a 3/16 flat screwdriver and insert from bottom left corner, up diagnolly and twist. You can see the slot in the pictures below-

2. Once those are off, You can remove the 4 7mm screws that hold the plastic housing together. I was not going to make a tutorial, so no picture of this step. If you have color matched caps, there are 2 tabs at the top that can be released and the cap will slide straight back.

3. Next is to remove the plastic covers on the Arms. This might be the hardest part. Requires moving the mirror back and forth to access the release clips. The plastic mounting base cover can not be removed until the arm covers are. Do not worry about the end caps at the pivot point. They can stay. At this point you should have something akin to naked robot.

4. Now remove the mirror from the truck. Make sure the Mirror is in it's normal out position- Not folded in or forward. Extended or retracted does not matter. To do this requires removing the door panel to access the wiring harness. which is easy. Two screws on the very bottom, and two under a access port under the armrest. The speaker cover pops off, and the window switch panel pops straight up.

5. With mirror removed, release plastic base cover. Now slide the extendable mirror half from the base part. It will come right apart. Your mirror should look something like this now:

6. Now reconnect mirror and trigger power fold function to determine which arm moves, if either. For me top arm did not move, bottom did. Each arm is held in place with a cover plate. The bolts almost feel like they are rounding off, when coming out, but are not.

7. Isolate the faulty arm.

8. At this point you can see the motor inside the metal bracket. Having a vice handy will make life a lot easier. To extract remove the screws, and drive the round pin out. Don't worry, nothing will go sproing.

9. Now you need to pry apart the ends of the arms enough to clear the remaining pin, and work the gear box out.

10. Remove the 3 springs from the motor casing. Use a small screwdriver to remove the springs from the side by the plug one at a time.

11. Once the springs are removed, it is smooth sailing. The housing comes apart easily, and is surprisingly simple.

12. Most likely the little plastic gear will slide off the steel shaft- Clean, JB weld, and reassemble in reverse order. Be quick with re-installing the gear and be sure it is seated. Once the JB sets up even a little, the gear won't move without breaking. Be sure the little steel wear discs are at each end and test fit the shaft.

13. Reassembly is pretty much just the opposite. When putting the springs back on the gear housing, use a small round bit as a spacer to make it easier for driving the round guide pin back in through the steel arm- kind of like this

And that is about all I have to offer. Sorry I don't have more pictures, but this really is more intimidating looking then it actually is. Good Luck, and ask any questions for clarification.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-16-2012, 01:38 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Nice write up....
Old 09-16-2012, 05:32 PM

Great info! Thank you
Old 09-17-2012, 05:15 AM
Premium Member

Awesome write up.....Can you explain or detail how you got the triangular cover off the mounting base?
Old 09-17-2012, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallyF350 View Post
Awesome write up.....Can you explain or detail how you got the triangular cover off the mounting base?
Follow step 3. The plastic covers on the arms themselves have to be removed, then remove the mirror from the truck. There are 3 locking tabs that hold the plastic cover in place. Release those carefully, and with a little finesse the plastic cover will slide right off. The mirror does have to be straight out.

I tried doing this with the plastic arm covers in place and it wasn't happening. I took that mirror on and off the truck about 10 times to figure all this stuff out.
Old 09-17-2012, 09:13 PM

Great write up! That's good info to know!
Old 11-01-2012, 08:02 AM

do you mind asking me how long it took you to do this? I need to do this on my driver side mirror, but I'm afraid it will take too long or like usual i will break an important plastic piece. They should cover this crap under warranty or develop a better one. I don't have the time to mess with this, but i use my power mirrors religiously. It's one of the great perks of the newer trucks. sucks.
Old 02-03-2013, 06:36 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Thanks for the article / tutorial. It looks a bit intimidating; however, the price of a new one is also!!!
Old 02-08-2013, 05:20 AM

Advance auto has them for 540$ i believe. Mine sounds like the same thing is going on. Will fold in wont go back out all the way but now it doesnt want to stay out all the way debating on doing this
Old 02-08-2013, 05:39 AM

glad someone dug up this old thread I never caught it the first time

those mirrors are loaded with parts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.