A lil Cleaning.... ;-) - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4 Exterior Discussion Body and Accessories Talk

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2012, 09:03 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
A lil Cleaning.... ;-)

Hey guys,

I FINALLY was able to get my truck in my shop to do some much needed cleaning. I only wet sanded the tailgate since I was under a time constraint being customers were coming in and I had a S65 AMG to do. The tailgate was wet sanded and 2 stepped down.I will be wet sanding the whole truck over the next week and following it up with 2 or 3 step paint correction polishing. Keep in mind this truck has been through many states, off road, in tight city street (San Fran), and a lot of parts hauling. I dont know if you guys care what products I used on the truck so I didnt list them. If you guys want to know I will list them for ya. On to the pics..

This is the second bath it got. It was shot down with APC on the heavy soiled parts and was left to dwell a little then agitated with with a boars hair brush. Then foamed and 2 bucket washed. Then foamed again, which this picture is off.

This purple stuff you see running off the truck is after the pics above, I sprayed IronX on the truck to help break down all the iron,tar, calcium, etc.. It changes color when working to purple.

This is the paint condition stripped of any LSP or Fillers. This is under a halogen, Xenon, and LED light and no back lighting. It will show defects that you would normally not easily see.

This pic on the left is just two passes with Megs 105 on a Surfbuf pad, the center strip is how the paint was before, and the right is where I went sanded. I wet sanded it more and focused on the paint chip repair that was on there (paint chip repair was not done by me,lol).

Here is the paint finished down. I could of added one more step to finish it down better, but I was rushing. Sorry for the crap photos, I was only using my Iphone4, didnt want to break out the Nikon or Go Pro. I will when I finish the truck for you guys.

And dont forget to treat your vinyl. And this is not Armor all, Do not use armor all!! After this sets in it with me more of a matte finish. It looks shiny in the pic since I just put it on and the flash. I treated all the vinyl every where on the truck..Bed rails, mirrors, wiper cowl, tail gate handle, key pad, rear power winder trim, etc...

Here is some quick pics of the truck. It does have a quick LSP for protection till I finish the truck and seal it up. Dont want the Vegas sun to kill my paint. OH, and every piece of the undercarriage has been dressed, even underneath the tow hitch. LOL...

Thanks guys for looking. I will update when I get more time to work on it..

Aloha,
Will

Last edited by will175; 07-03-2012 at 09:28 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-03-2012, 09:14 AM
Slacker

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
I would be interested in what products you used.
Old 07-06-2012, 04:00 AM

I would like to know also! especially what you are using on the trim.
Old 07-06-2012, 05:44 AM
Slacker

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Will, your truck looks SWEET! Mine's been baking in the Phoenix sun, so I know what you mean. Can you share with us some pics of what it looked like before? I'd be VERY interested in what you did for prep work as well.
Old 07-06-2012, 06:42 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

wanna come pick mine up here in canada and go at it hahah... looks real good man
Old 07-06-2012, 06:54 AM

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Lowdown89 Send a message via Yahoo to Lowdown89
Looks great, what did you use for your underside? I have tried the stuff from griots, but have been eyeballing the stuff from chemical guys. Either way would loe to hear what you use, the truck turned out great!
Old 07-06-2012, 04:28 PM

Sorry guys for the late reply. Also thank you for the compliments.

Evil Eye- I dont have pics of it really dirty. I posted pics of the before shots under lights and after stripping the paint of any sealants,glazes,fillers, or waxes. That will show the true condition of the paint. For the products I used I will list below. :-) Also this time around I knew I was not going to go after full paint correction in one sitting so I did not clay the whole truck just the tailgate. The rest of the truck got a very quick one step.

Rattleproof- ROAD TRIP!! Haha.

Lowdown and josh- Below will have a list of the products used. :-)

Products:

Highline Paint Meter

CG (Chemical Guys) Citrus Wash and Clear- This will strip a lot of the LSP on the vehicle. Used a 2 bucket method plus a foam gun attached to my pressure washer. Also have the auto geek water filtration system mounted on the wall, pretty much the same as CR Spotless.

CG Diablo Wheel Gel

P21S Total Auto Wash- Used this prior to first wash to loosen up the stuck on dirt, bugs, etc..Also on the under carriage and suspension.

Iron X- After 1st wash while truck is still wet.

CG Citrus wash and wax for 2nd wash

Dried with waffle weave drying towels (towels were shot down with some QD prior to using to dry) and compressed air

Megs D170 Hyper Dressing- Exterior black trim. Diluted 2:1

CG Bare Bones- For undercarriage, suspension, etc...

2000/3000 wet sanding disc on DA

Megs 105 on a surfbuf pad/orange LC pad on tailgate to clean up wet sanding

HD speed- Cleaned up the 105 on tailgate. Also used to do a 1 step on the rest of the truck. Speed will also leave some protection down while doing some correction.

1Z Gummi Pflege- Used on all soft rubber door seals. Helps condition the seals and quiets down the wind noise.

Optimum Leather and Vinyl cleaner/protectant- Used on the interior, the seat will get treated with either leatherique or CG leather duo, dont know which one I will use. It will be based on how much time I have.

Megs D120 Glass Cleaner- Cleaned glass last. Also used this while checking my paint correction work, to take off all the filler to see if more work is needed.

I think I got everything. Might of missed a few things. If I missed something please ask, if not and I remember I will post a update. Below are pics of the products. Mostly all my products come in gallons so I mix them up in smaller spray bottles. I have a ton more products then what is pictured.

Old 07-06-2012, 05:23 PM

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Lowdown89 Send a message via Yahoo to Lowdown89
Which DA are you using? Maybe I'm not using the right pad/ Polish choice but with my porter cable da using lake country orange pads and poorboys ssr2 I'm still left with swirls on my truck... are you using like a flex brand da or a rotary when you are doing the paint correction? Because your finished product looks great? Also how do you like the Cg's Diablo? I use the p21s gel now and it works good buy kinda pricey .. does it take a lot of the bare bones to do the entire under carriage or does a littlebgo a long way? Sorry for all the questions just trying to get opinions before I place another order of detailing stuff for when i get my truck back and like i said I'm really impressed with the job you did!
Old 07-06-2012, 08:40 PM

Dont be sorry for asking Q's bro. Ask away, Ill answer them the best I can.

For the DA question. I have a 3 PCs one of them is the newer xp version, 1 Griots smaller DA so I dont have to switch back plates when I go to a smaller pad, also have a Makita Rotary.

There can be many variables to why you still have swirls. Could you let me know your process and then I have a better idea of whats going on. :-) Also Im not too familiar with PB ssr2. But Ill look it up to get a better idea of the details on the product, but I take its a aggressive polishing compound. For my results on the tailgate, I could of finished it down a little better but it was basically a test part of the truck on how I would attack the rest of the truck. But thank you for the compliment.

I like the CG Diablo, it goes a pretty long way since its concentrated and you need to dilute it. I also have Sonax and p21s wheel gel. Like you mentioned P21s wheel gel is very pricey, so is Sonax. Diablo is my go to cleaner for most customers.

This was the first time using CGs Bare Bones. I was given some from CG to try it out. I like it A LOT, but I sure did use A LOT...The pic of the bottle with Bare Bones in it was full before the truck. So I used that much just on my truck. lol. Granted I went really overboard. Overall I really like the product and plan on using it more, I still have a full gallon of that stuff.

Post your list that you were planning on ordering and I can look over it and see if I can suggest anything else. Or I might have it and can give you a review on it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.