Looking into lifting the truck - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4 Exterior Discussion Body and Accessories Talk

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06-27-2012, 09:04 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic
 

Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 128
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Looking into lifting the truck

So ive been looking through old threads on here to try and figure out what type of lift i wanted to go with and which brand would be best? I dont off road much but i know with a proper lift i would be doing a lot more and i want it to be reliable.

I first wanted to go with a 6 inch lift but i am now seeing that alot of the higher end brands (carli,icon, etc.) are offering only 4.5 inch lifts. I know i can go with something like rough country, pro comp, fab tech etc, but i do think i would like to stick with carli or icon or something in that range.

Secondly it seems like a 4 link suspension is the best way to go in terms of better ride quality, which is what im hoping for. I am really interested in the carli pin top 2.5 system, but this is not a 4 link kit correct?

It seems not very many people are running these systems, maybe because its overkill for most or money could be a factor like it is in my situation, but i havent really found a lot of reviews on this kit or any of icons either really.

So if anyone has experience with either company mentioned or another company i am open to all suggestions, i just want to check out everything while i am saving up the money and make sure i do things right the first time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 06-28-2012, 06:45 AM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Wellington Nevada
Posts: 8,461
Thanks: 1
Thanked 16 Times in 16 Posts
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
You want a 4 link kit for the best ride quality and the ability to add needed additional Castor. Pure Performance has 3, 6" kits..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3  
Old 08-01-2012, 10:14 AM
Member
 

Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 79
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Honestly, look at BDS suspension. they make some really good easy to install kits, and their quality is amazing. dont go pro comp. i did and i hate it. so unreliable and cheap. bds has a no questions asked warrantee and great customer service. i would do that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #4  
Old 08-01-2012, 11:21 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic
 

Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 128
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Alright thanks for the help. My buddy just put a bds lift on his Chevy and likes it so I'm gonna be checking it out. Not looking to spend an arm and leg but there right in my price range so I appreciate it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5  
Old 08-01-2012, 03:29 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Calgary, Alberta Canada
Posts: 1,288
Thanks: 0
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
The higher end lifts come with higher end suspension. This will require additional maintenance. Coil overs need to be rebuilt. Albeit you'll get the best ride with coil overs, but the additional upfront cost and maintenance needs to be weighed. The Carli kits are nice if you plan on jumping your truck and don't tow or have payload in the bed very often. The Deaver leafs that are supplied with the kit are soft. Carli says that the kit doesn't affect factory ratings but there are pictures of trucks towing light trailers that are sagging. Four links seem to only be beneficial on larger lift trucks. Radius arm lifts seem to be just as good as four links are concerned for smaller lifts. A lot of the way the truck rides/drives has to do with the suspension. The shocks and coils used will be a large determining factor. I wouldn't mind piecing a Carli kit together as I do like their front end parts. However, I wouldn't use Deaver leafs. I'd use a block. Probably PMF's floating traction bars that have the block built into the traction bar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6  
Old 08-01-2012, 05:13 PM
Member
 

Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 79
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta Advantage View Post
The higher end lifts come with higher end suspension. This will require additional maintenance. Coil overs need to be rebuilt. Albeit you'll get the best ride with coil overs, but the additional upfront cost and maintenance needs to be weighed. The Carli kits are nice if you plan on jumping your truck and don't tow or have payload in the bed very often. The Deaver leafs that are supplied with the kit are soft. Carli says that the kit doesn't affect factory ratings but there are pictures of trucks towing light trailers that are sagging. Four links seem to only be beneficial on larger lift trucks. Radius arm lifts seem to be just as good as four links are concerned for smaller lifts. A lot of the way the truck rides/drives has to do with the suspension. The shocks and coils used will be a large determining factor. I wouldn't mind piecing a Carli kit together as I do like their front end parts. However, I wouldn't use Deaver leafs. I'd use a block. Probably PMF's floating traction bars that have the block built into the traction bar.
okay i have to ask, and dont take offense to this, but im from a competition off road background, not a lifted truck truck scene. but why do you guys seem to praise lift blocks so much? their unstable, weak, and sketchy as hell in high power or off road situations. lift springs paired with small stock sized blocks are a great way to lift a truck safely. and i love deavers, but i'm doing coilovers and bypass shocks at all corners. i can make adjustable sway bars and get custom rate springs so i can custom tailor my truck to do everything well. even tow factory ratings. but thats just the way i see it and my background/profession has a lot to do with that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7  
Old 08-01-2012, 07:06 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Calgary, Alberta Canada
Posts: 1,288
Thanks: 0
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by fordborn View Post
okay i have to ask, and dont take offense to this, but im from a competition off road background, not a lifted truck truck scene. but why do you guys seem to praise lift blocks so much? their unstable, weak, and sketchy as hell in high power or off road situations. lift springs paired with small stock sized blocks are a great way to lift a truck safely. and i love deavers, but i'm doing coilovers and bypass shocks at all corners. i can make adjustable sway bars and get custom rate springs so i can custom tailor my truck to do everything well. even tow factory ratings. but thats just the way i see it and my background/profession has a lot to do with that.
Competition is a lot different than the daily driver/urban off roading. Lift blocks are a lot cheaper than new leafs. Most people that put lift blocks on also use traction blocks which will significantly decrease axle wrap on lifted and moded trucks. Blocks aren't all that weak. Even from the factory, there's a block in the rear. A single block isn't an issue. It's people that stack two blocks to achieve the desired lift in the rear that have issues. Most people do not seriously offroad a one ton truck. It's not like a Jeep with a three link setup. I'm not saying Deavers are a bad product but they aren't right for most applications. They are a soft leaf and are meant to absorb and flex. This isn't what you want when towing a heavy trailer or have a significant amount of payload in the bed. That's all I'm getting at. If you don't tow or have payload in the truck and plan on off roading or jumping the truck, Deavers are great and are the best you can buy. They just aren't suited for a heavy towing application. Granted, you can buy long travel airbags but then this defeats the purpose of getting the Deavers and you'd have to connect and disconnect the airbags if you plan on seriously offroading the truck. Kind of dumb in my opinion to spend all that money on Deavers only to sacrifice the ride by installing airbags and having to connect and disconnect them as needed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8  
Old 08-01-2012, 07:16 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic
 

Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 128
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Thanks for the interesting read guys. Really don't know much about lifts other than what I have read lately, I do know I want it to be right though even if it's not the most expensive lift, so I guess I don't want to be stacking blocks. If money wasn't an option I would probably go with the carli pintop 2.5 setup, but as most of you know price
Is the biggest factor. I've been thinking with the wheels and tires I bought maybe a 4.5 left would look better?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9  
Old 08-02-2012, 07:41 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor
 

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Orange, CA
Posts: 1,607
Thanks: 9
Thanked 30 Times in 26 Posts
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by wwillmon View Post
So ive been looking through old threads on here to try and figure out what type of lift i wanted to go with and which brand would be best? I dont off road much but i know with a proper lift i would be doing a lot more and i want it to be reliable.

I first wanted to go with a 6 inch lift but i am now seeing that alot of the higher end brands (carli,icon, etc.) are offering only 4.5 inch lifts. I know i can go with something like rough country, pro comp, fab tech etc, but i do think i would like to stick with carli or icon or something in that range.

Secondly it seems like a 4 link suspension is the best way to go in terms of better ride quality, which is what im hoping for. I am really interested in the carli pin top 2.5 system, but this is not a 4 link kit correct?

It seems not very many people are running these systems, maybe because its overkill for most or money could be a factor like it is in my situation, but i havent really found a lot of reviews on this kit or any of icons either really.

So if anyone has experience with either company mentioned or another company i am open to all suggestions, i just want to check out everything while i am saving up the money and make sure i do things right the first time.
Carli has R&D(ed) these kits to within an inch of their life. Honestly, all you're paying for as you increase in price is the shock upgrade. People think the price is unjustified but not many know Carli uses custom length shocks with custom pistons and valving profiles to turn turn these suspension systems into what they are. It's all in the name of a better ride for the customer. Carli has found 4-Links work but are not beneficial in a daily driving situation given articulation into the point of radius arm binding is never seen in a DD situation, especially when running a front sway bar.

If Carli were to release a new arm with the kits, it would be a new, gussetted radius arm with johnny joints and a shock link to prevent bind. Radius arms are simply stronger than 4-links and keep better driveshaft angles through articulation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta Advantage View Post
The higher end lifts come with higher end suspension. This will require additional maintenance. Coil overs need to be rebuilt. Albeit you'll get the best ride with coil overs, but the additional upfront cost and maintenance needs to be weighed. The Carli kits are nice if you plan on jumping your truck and don't tow or have payload in the bed very often. The Deaver leafs that are supplied with the kit are soft. Carli says that the kit doesn't affect factory ratings but there are pictures of trucks towing light trailers that are sagging. Four links seem to only be beneficial on larger lift trucks. Radius arm lifts seem to be just as good as four links are concerned for smaller lifts. A lot of the way the truck rides/drives has to do with the suspension. The shocks and coils used will be a large determining factor. I wouldn't mind piecing a Carli kit together as I do like their front end parts. However, I wouldn't use Deaver leafs. I'd use a block. Probably PMF's floating traction bars that have the block built into the traction bar.
Have to disagree here. 4-links are overkill on these trucks given the "Daily Driving" situations the OP will be using the truck for. 99% of what Carli does is smooth out people's daily drive, 1% (if not less) are the people who jump there trucks. This is because a truck driving down the road riding like an IFS half ton while towing a 5th wheel is cool, but will never make youtube. The press comes from the guy who hucks his mega cab 10ft. in the air.

That said, Carli has determined that investment in a larger diameter shock is far superior to radius arms when it comes to ride quality. The old addage, there's no replacement for displacement is once again found to be true. Further, Calri kits come with a mini-pack which maintain load capacity or you can upgrade to the FULL deaver spring pack which will slightly reduce carry capacity. Plus, you're now starting with a level truck so it will apear it sags more than it does. If it sags too much, you could pair the full deaver spring pack with the long travel air bags and have an incredibly smooth unloaded ride with the ability to haul big loads.

The investment is up to the consumer. Most people want a nice truck and that's why we're on a site in a section full of $40,000-$60,000 truck; what's another $5,000-$6,000 to ensure it's drivable and comfortable for the long hours you spend it in? After all, the lariat package is worth it to most people and the suspension is cheaper and will provide far more comfort.

Take it for what it's worth...

Cliff notes: You have to pay to play in an 8,000lbs truck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwillmon View Post
Thanks for the interesting read guys. Really don't know much about lifts other than what I have read lately, I do know I want it to be right though even if it's not the most expensive lift, so I guess I don't want to be stacking blocks. If money wasn't an option I would probably go with the carli pintop 2.5 setup, but as most of you know price
Is the biggest factor. I've been thinking with the wheels and tires I bought maybe a 4.5 left would look better?
NEVER stack blocks. If price is a factor, have a look at the Back-Country kit. It providies an awesome road ride, is a bit limited off-road but commuters seem to love the comfort it provides.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #10  
Old 08-02-2012, 08:47 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic
 

Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 128
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I'll definitely check it out. Been checking out, icon, carli, pure, bds, and pmf. I'm kinda leaning towards the pmf lift its a reasonable price and he's been really helpful with all questions. Still haven't counted any of the brands out, just reading on what you guys have to say and all that. Would love to spend 5000-8000 on a lift alone but still being in college kind of limits the money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 06:00 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

vB.Sponsors