Exterior cleanliness? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4 Exterior Discussion Body and Accessories Talk

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2012, 11:29 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Exterior cleanliness?

I live in Upper Michigan, Rocks, Salt, Dirt and dust are huge up here. I can't seem to ever keep my truck clean. I wash and wax a lot, to the point where I have a whole storage shelf full of cleaning supplies. What can I do so I dont have to spend hours each week cleaning? My girlfriends dad has an '11 F-150 and uses a spray detailer and cali duster and it looks like new. He bought me a bunch of stuff for my birthday for my truck, but I get so much dust and dirt the cali duster just doesnt work. What do you guys use to wash and wax so a lil rinse here and there keeps it clean? Also my BMF wheels never stay clean either ARGHHH... I use Meguiars NXT 2.0 wax and Blue Coral wash. I have a clay bar, but I haven't really ever used it, nor do I really know how exactly
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-27-2012, 03:00 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

No comment on how to keep the truck clean but the clay bar is easy to use. That said, it really is meant to remove particles that are sitting on top of your clear coat. You just spray the supplied liquid then rub the truck down with the bar. It took my brother 4 hours do to a good job on a small Mk2 VW GTI. I probably wont do much for keeping the truck clean constantly.
Old 06-28-2012, 11:36 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Waterless wash from Adams Detailing Supplies!!
Old 06-30-2012, 08:16 AM

I used to wash my 08 Harley once a week, if not more. lol. Oh and its lifted 12" on 40s.

Here is some quick tips how it might go easier for you:

Do you have a pressure washer? If YES, pick up a foam gun, autogeek has a really good one.

Pick up some decent soap. You could use chemical guys, they have all different types of soap. 3D also has some good soap that is pretty inexpensive.

Clay your truck!!. Its super easy..Cut you clay bar in 3 pieces in case you drop one. Use a quick detailer to lubricate the surface for the clay bar to slide on. You just slide the clay bar back and forth on the panel. Keep your work surface lubricated.

Usually after I wash my truck, and Im about to dry it. I spray some QD (quick detailer) to help with the drying process. I also have forced air to help with my drying process. Use a waffle weave drying towel. Auto Geek, Chemical Guys, Detail Image all carry good one. For the drying towel, I have a bunch in all different brands and I like the Detail Image one the best. For a truck our size your probably going to need 3 towel.

The NXT is a okay LSP (last step procedure; wax,sealant, or glaze) for a over the counter product. I dont kow what else you have at your place in terms of a LSP. There is soooooo many recommendations I could give you for a LSP. Ill give you a couple for each type of LSP that I think would be user friendly for you and work wonderfully.

Wax- Chemical Guys 50/50, P21S and Poxy
Sealant- HD Nitro Seal, Opti Seal,
Glaze- Chemical Guys Blacklight,Chemical Guyz EZ Glaze, Danese Wet 2.0

I dont know what finish your wheels are so its hard for me to suggest what to use.

I will be doing a complete detail/paint correction on my Harley CCSB very soon. I will take some pics and make a thread. It will also get wet sanded via PC since the truck is big.

Good luck with the cleaning bro,

Will
Old 06-30-2012, 08:21 AM

If you have a good wax job you should be able to hit it at a longer than normal distance witg a pressure washer and dry it off.
Old 06-30-2012, 07:38 PM

This stuff is awesome Aircraft RV Boat Cleaner Waterless Wash Wax Detailing Products Supplies
Old 07-01-2012, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by will175 View Post
I used to wash my 08 Harley once a week, if not more. lol. Oh and its lifted 12" on 40s.

Here is some quick tips how it might go easier for you:

Do you have a pressure washer? If YES, pick up a foam gun, autogeek has a really good one.

Pick up some decent soap. You could use chemical guys, they have all different types of soap. 3D also has some good soap that is pretty inexpensive.

Clay your truck!!. Its super easy..Cut you clay bar in 3 pieces in case you drop one. Use a quick detailer to lubricate the surface for the clay bar to slide on. You just slide the clay bar back and forth on the panel. Keep your work surface lubricated.

Usually after I wash my truck, and Im about to dry it. I spray some QD (quick detailer) to help with the drying process. I also have forced air to help with my drying process. Use a waffle weave drying towel. Auto Geek, Chemical Guys, Detail Image all carry good one. For the drying towel, I have a bunch in all different brands and I like the Detail Image one the best. For a truck our size your probably going to need 3 towel.

The NXT is a okay LSP (last step procedure; wax,sealant, or glaze) for a over the counter product. I dont kow what else you have at your place in terms of a LSP. There is soooooo many recommendations I could give you for a LSP. Ill give you a couple for each type of LSP that I think would be user friendly for you and work wonderfully.

Wax- Chemical Guys 50/50, P21S and Poxy
Sealant- HD Nitro Seal, Opti Seal,
Glaze- Chemical Guys Blacklight,Chemical Guyz EZ Glaze, Danese Wet 2.0

I dont know what finish your wheels are so its hard for me to suggest what to use.

I will be doing a complete detail/paint correction on my Harley CCSB very soon. I will take some pics and make a thread. It will also get wet sanded via PC since the truck is big.

Good luck with the cleaning bro,

Will
Thanks! A local detail shop is going to give me a run through on anything I dont know how to do while They detail it for 40$ cause Im helping
Old 07-02-2012, 09:27 AM

^^ DAMN!! That is super cheap bro..My cheapest detail for a walk in customer (with no hook up) is $75. And that would only be for a small/mid/full size car. Let me know how it turns out. Oh and find out what products is being used on your truck, from wash soap to LSP. :-)
Old 07-02-2012, 04:36 PM

The guy just got some new wax... Poor Boys World he said it was. White bottle and an orange bottle, one for light colors and the other for dark. Also he uses Duragloss Aquawax spray for quick details. This is after he detailed it, and I slowly crept down a gravel road home... damn construction!
Attached Thumbnails
Exterior cleanliness?-detailed-6.4.jpg  

Last edited by dieselfreek26; 07-02-2012 at 04:40 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.