Leveling kit, below spring vs above spring? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4 Exterior Discussion Body and Accessories Talk

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-23-2012, 07:36 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Leveling kit, below spring vs above spring?

Ok so I am looking for a 2.5" leveling kit for the front of my truck, I see there are a couple options, the above the spring spacer and the below the spring spacer. Whats the difference? I plan on getting a kit that relocated the trac bar, no matter which style I go with. Also what is the big difference between the different brands? I see a few different methods for moving the trac bar, but as for the spacer itself, how does it differ? As long as its steel or aluminum.... I don't understand the price differences. I have been looking at either a newton leveling kit or the ready lift one. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-23-2012, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44magnum View Post
Ok so I am looking for a 2.5" leveling kit for the front of my truck, I see there are a couple options, the above the spring spacer and the below the spring spacer. Whats the difference? I plan on getting a kit that relocated the trac bar, no matter which style I go with. Also what is the big difference between the different brands? I see a few different methods for moving the trac bar, but as for the spacer itself, how does it differ? As long as its steel or aluminum.... I don't understand the price differences. I have been looking at either a newton leveling kit or the ready lift one. Thanks in advance.
From an engineering stand point the above spring spacer would be much more stable. If the spring is elevated at the axle it makes sense that it could possibly move around as the spacer is not bolted to the spring. I have no experince with ford leveling kits but the leveled dodges I have owned always have the spacer on top, for example Revtek aluminum 2" coil spring spacers. Revtek Suspension | Dodge Suspensions

Again I have no experience with ford leveling kits but I have had plenty of dodge's with the revtek system. I hope this helps.
Old 06-23-2012, 10:00 PM

I just read the install instructions for revtek's 2.5" leveling kit and apparently I was absolutely wrong on the mounting of the spacer. The setup is way different than what im used to. It bolts directly to the axle. My apologies 44 Magnum
Old 06-24-2012, 03:44 PM

Feedback Score: 13 reviews
I did newtons leveling kit which is a below spring cup spacer. It comes with the spacers for track bar. It was a heck of a deal and did everything I needed. I didn't want that spacer showing in my wheel well. It's all non corrosive and Jason has awesome customer service. Install took me 3 hours by my self and it's the first kit I have ever done taking my time because I was nervous about screwing something up. Let me know if ya have any more questions.
Old 06-26-2012, 09:56 AM

^
|
|
|
I did the same. Went with the Newton kit. Definitely got the job done. And it rides just like stock.
Old 06-26-2012, 11:57 AM

That's good to hear, I ordered a kit from newton yesterday. Any install tips or just follow the instructions?
Old 06-26-2012, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44magnum View Post
That's good to hear, I ordered a kit from newton yesterday. Any install tips or just follow the instructions?
Pretty much just follow instructions. I started with the rear blocks. Those were pretty easy. The blocks are angled so, at 4", a carrier bearing spacer shouldnt be needed. Just make sure the blocks are angled down toward the cab.

Make sure to install all bump stops and spacers that come with it. I found that I didnt need the brake line spacers so thats the only thing I didnt use from the kit.

I lifted the truck by the front axle and once I got it high enough I put stands under the frame and lowered the axle using the jack. That way I could get the springs and shocks off. The only real PITA with the Newton kit is the track bar spacers. JUST BEWARE OF THE TRACK BAR NUTS IN THE FRAME!! We almost lost one. They have tabs on them that keep them from turning in the frame but once the bolt is out there is nothing to keep them from sliding inside the frame.

Just make sure (its a two man job) someone has a hand on the tab to keep them from sliding. The biggest PITA is lining up the bolts when putting the track bar back in.

Also, I just put 295/65r20 Nitto Trail Grapplers on it and it looks awesome! The 35.5" tires go nice with a 2.5" level.

But in the end it serves its purpose well. I have no axle shift and no suspension problems. Just make sure you get an alignment done when you finish. I had some camber wear when I waited a month or so to get an alignment done.
Old 07-09-2012, 08:41 PM

Got my kit installed, worked pretty good. For any others looking to do the same thing here are a few tips I picked up along the way.

Shock spacers gave me a fit, the bilstiens I have apparently don't have long enough studs even after you cut down the lower doughnut and swap out the upper doughnut for theirs. Ended up not using any rubber above the frame mount, just below. Ideal no but I plan on getting correct shocks some time.

Also according to the instructions you remove the spring them put the spacer under the cup then re mount the spring, I found it easier to just lift up the spring and spacer, slip the spacer under, bolt it down and go. Also those front springs have a longer travel that I thought, make sure to jack the truck up (by the axle) as high as you floor jack will go, otherwise you may not have the clearance. I went as high as my jack would and I just barely had the clearance.

I didn't have trouble with the track bar mount, loosened the three bolts, took the other two out, slipped a pry bar in, wedged open and slipped in the spacers. The nut did give me trouble though, directions said to vice grip the tab to the frame before you unbolt it, but I couldn't figure out how to do that. That was definatly the main PITA about the job.

Kinda wish there was a spacer for the ABS line, mine ended up being a little tighter than I wanted.

Also if you use the brake line spacer bracket, make sure you have a 8mm X 1.25 tap to clean the one hole of the spring cup, mine was so full of crap I couldn't even tell it was threaded.

Truck now clears my 20x10 sota's with 325/60-20's.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.