going all black - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4 Exterior Discussion Body and Accessories Talk

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2012, 10:18 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
going all black

have a black fx4 2009 and wanting to black out everything. i saw a thread on here on how to do the headlights and plan to do that so the next step is the tail lights and mirror lights.........

i like the way the recon tail lights look but dont want to fork over that much money. what is the best way to get that look on the tail lights??? do i just take them somewhere and say smoke them or tint them? is it better to do it with a led tail light or stock one?

the orange mirror lights are next and not sure what is best way to black them out as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2012, 04:05 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ess3489 View Post
have a black fx4 2009 and wanting to black out everything. i saw a thread on here on how to do the headlights and plan to do that so the next step is the tail lights and mirror lights.........

i like the way the recon tail lights look but dont want to fork over that much money. what is the best way to get that look on the tail lights??? do i just take them somewhere and say smoke them or tint them? is it better to do it with a led tail light or stock one?

the orange mirror lights are next and not sure what is best way to black them out as well.
i painted my headlights and smoked my mirrors and tails. here's a thread that should have everything in it. i was going to have a body shop smoke my tail lights but they wanted $300. then i was thinking about buying recon headlights but they wanted like 500 for them. so i just decided to take the chance and do them myself. just take your time and they'll come out fine.
Painting Headlights
Old 05-04-2012, 04:18 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:

They make this awesome stuff called VHT nightshade I actually make a write up to show you guys how to do it like a shop would
http://www.vhtpaint.com/products/niteshades/

Sent from my IPhone while "working"
Old 05-04-2012, 07:31 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

jteets75 where is the write up your talking about I would be interested in reading that.

also when using the vht are you painting the inside of the tail light or the outside? how mamy coats of the vht do you use so that the tail lights are still bright enough?
Old 05-05-2012, 09:42 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
jteets75 where is the write up your talking about I would be interested in reading that.

also when using the vht are you painting the inside of the tail light or the outside? how mamy coats of the vht do you use so that the tail lights are still bright enough?
you paint the outside and i masked the reverse light out so you could still see when you back up. i didn't 2 coats of vat and 5 coats of clear
Old 05-06-2012, 11:51 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joerobi1 View Post
you paint the outside and i masked the reverse light out so you could still see when you back up. i didn't 2 coats of vat and 5 coats of clear
I wonder how they would look doing the insides rather than the outsides?
Old 05-06-2012, 02:07 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigshow View Post
I wonder how they would look doing the insides rather than the outsides?
they'd still look red. you paint the inside bezel when you do the front headlights because the outside lens is clear. however on the taillight the lens is red so painting the inside would achieve nothing
Old 05-06-2012, 06:59 PM

^the things you don't think about until the are pointed out. I had a body shop smoke my taillights for $80 and I asked the guy if he could do the mirror lights for no additional and he said sure. They came out pretty good
Old 05-06-2012, 09:01 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrokerAce74 View Post
^the things you don't think about until the are pointed out. I had a body shop smoke my taillights for $80 and I asked the guy if he could do the mirror lights for no additional and he said sure. They came out pretty good
wow you must have a cheap body shop, when i called a place here in alaska and asked how much to smoke my tails, mirrors, and third brake light they told me $300. so i just ended up doing it myself in the garage
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.