Train Horn install on the Superduty!! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4 Exterior Discussion Body and Accessories Talk

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2012, 08:47 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Train Horn install on the Superduty!!

Well Ive been wanting to install my shocker horns from hornblasters on my truck for awhile and just never had time. I finally started working on them awhile back and got them mounted up! I had them on my old truck so I wasnt as excited to get them up and running again as I was when I first bought them. If you have never heard these horns they are freaking LOUD!! I have everything hooked up and ready to rock except my airline that goes to the horns was too short so I have to order some more. But anyways onto the pics.

On my GMC I had, I had put the 5 gallon air tank and compressor in a tool box that I had on the truck. It was simple to do and out of sight, but on this truck I didnt want a tool box so I figured id mount the tank and air compressor all up under the truck. It worked out great!

Here is the tank mounted. It is mounted next to the fuel tank on the drivers side. The spot was damn near perfect for the tank, and i used 1/8 inch thick angle iron to mount it to the frame rail.

For the compressor I wasnt really sure where to go with iit. I finally decided to go straight across from the air tank on the passenger side frame rail, worked out awesome too, once I get some more air line im going to run the filter up into a better spot but for now thats where its at. The compressor is also hooked up to one of my upfitter switches to turn on and off as I want.

here it is with the exhaust back in place

I then ran the air line from the tank to the back of the truck. I wanted to be able to air up tires and crap also, so I used a T fitting and placed it in the line and T'd off to hook up a quick disconnect. you can see in this picture the solenoid for the horns as well as the T i used to get the air to the quick connect.

I didnt want the connect to be seen but still wanted to be able to hook upto it easy, so I used an existing hole in the frame and ran it there. This is under the driver side back by the bumper

Then i mounted the horns on a piece of angle as well, and bolted it up to where the spare tire once was.

Im hoping to buy a set of K3LA horns and replace these shocker horns with those, but its hard to find a used set for a good price! And im not paying $900+ for a new set of K3LA's! If anyone has a set for sale, hit me up!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2012, 09:25 PM
<b>Premium Member</b>

Great Pics man. And I agree those shocker horns are great I had them for 3 yrs on two different trucks, made many people think twice about cutting me off.
But I came to the point where I wanted more sound, and was able to procure a set of K3LAs for $600 brand new, cause the guy had a surplus. They are so worth the money. I was willing to pay the $900 but I lucked out. If you do want them talk to the guys at Airhorns of Texas, they have the best prices on the K3LAs and K5LAs http://www.airhornsoftexas.com/train...?price=7%2C100.

James.
Old 04-01-2012, 08:41 PM

Thanks man! Yeah I love the shocker horns but I think it's about time to upgrade! I'll have to check out that site!
Old 04-01-2012, 09:00 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Nice job man!
Old 04-01-2012, 09:07 PM

If you sell those horns let me know I would be intrtested

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
Old 04-02-2012, 07:41 AM

Thanks Clayton1985! All im waiting for now is some more air line so I can hook the horns up! The quick connect works perfect under there too, already used it a few times for tires and such. Heres a few pictures I snapped yesterday of the truck too. Cab lights are getting smoked out soon!

Also maybe someone can help me out? Right now I have the compressor hooked up to upfitter switch #2, and #1 has the horn solenoid hooked to it. so when I turn on switch #1 it honks the train horns. I want to wire it up to where I turn #1 swtich on and nothing happens until and when I hit the factory horn it honks the train horn, but when switch #1 is off, only the factory horn will honk. Im thinking I need to take the switches out and will ahve to re wire switch 1, that is the only way I can do it I think.
Old 04-02-2012, 07:47 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
I need to do the same thing... I did SOME research and found that we just need to hook up a relay to the upfitter #1...

this will toggle between factory and train horns with the movement of the upfitter #1, but the steering wheel "horn" button will control both

BTW: IMO your tires stick way too far out and your truck needs some fender flares ASAP:
Old 04-02-2012, 07:59 AM

Yeah I'm not a huge fan of the wide azz tires either but I just bought this about three months ago so these will stay on here until they need replaced! Lol and IMO I think the fender flares for these trucks are absolutely fugly.
Old 04-02-2012, 08:06 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Take a look at this

installing train horns, questions regarding factory swtiches
Old 04-02-2012, 08:25 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Six0~Stroker View Post
I need to do the same thing... I did SOME research and found that we just need to hook up a relay to the upfitter #1...

this will toggle between factory and train horns with the movement of the upfitter #1, but the steering wheel "horn" button will control both

BTW: IMO your tires stick way too far out and your truck needs some fender flares ASAP:
Yep, use the upfitter to power the relay. When energized, the relay will control your solenoid. Not sure how the factory horn is wired on the 08 and up, but on the 05-07 its a normally open circuit and pressing the horn button provides the ground. If you jump the factory horn wire and use that as the ground for your relay, you'll be in business.

The only thing I don't like in that link was the 3 position switch (train horn/off/OEM horn). If your train horn is "on" and it doesn't honk when you need it, the OEM horn isn't there as a back up.

Last edited by Snake; 04-02-2012 at 08:32 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.