flairs are rubbing the paint off the sheet metal - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4 Exterior Discussion Body and Accessories Talk

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-03-2007, 05:18 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
flairs are rubbing the paint off the sheet metal

I have a 450 with 2000 miles and it's going in for paint repair. The flairs are flexing against the sheetmetal and rubbing thru the clearcoat. I checked my 98 GMC Dually and the flairs are tight with no signs of rubbing. I hope this isn't a big issue.

On another note the paintjob is full of Orangepeel in the clearcoat. I am told by my son who works for a chrysler dealer that warranty will cover a wetsand and clearcoat if I ***** enough. Anyone else unhappy with the orangepeel?
Thanks
Mike
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2007, 07:22 PM

Ya, now that you mention it!

I was looking down the side of my new 08 the other night and thought "is that all the better they can do". I have painted a car or two in my life and if anything would have turned out looking like that, I would have let it dry, sanded it down to primer and started over again. I guess the more you pay, the less you get.
Old 09-16-2007, 06:29 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

What color is your 450? I am having the same issue with my 450 and waiting for Ford to get back as to a permanent fix, due to that it will just rub again.
Old 09-16-2007, 06:33 PM

Aftermarket Mud Flaps

Since my local Ford dealer was not stocking molded mud flaps yet, I ordered a set of aftermarket flaps. The manufacturer included four pieces of clear plastic and instructed you to put them on under the edge of the flaps. Looks like they have a cure.
Old 09-16-2007, 07:43 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

My 450 is bergundy. dark red. I don't recall what Ford calls it. I noticed a front flair is rubbing too. It goes to a paint shop for warranty repair tomorrow. I'm not sure how they plan on fixing this, as long as the flair flexes it's going to be a problem
Old 09-16-2007, 08:03 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

heres a pic
Old 09-17-2007, 02:18 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I have a dark blue F-350 and the orange peel is all over, I went today to the dealer and the black is the same they had another blue one and it is the same also. Is it the clear coat or the paint itself?
Old 09-17-2007, 05:49 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

It's probably in the high solids clear coat. The low VOC clearcoats don't layout flat. It's probably so thin that wetsanding isn't an option. I'm getting an opinion from the paintshop doing the warranty work on the fender as to what can be done. I know Ford is going to make an excuse for it and call it acceptable. My 98 GMC shines like glass and zero orange peel. There is no excuse for allowing these lousy paintjobs to happen.

Mike
Old 09-19-2007, 10:36 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I just got back from the bodyshop. The mounting clamp was loose. They polished out the scratches at tightened up the clamp. The problem is the clamp holds the glass fender to the bed at the top. Between the top of the fender and the verticle sides there is no supoort. I can still push the flair down. It's going to continue to scratch the paint but should be better than it was. The mounting design is ****ty at best.
I stayed away from Ford for 20years after issues with a Bronco. Now I wonder if I should have bought this 450. I am having ongoing electrical issues too. The first time I hauled my 26ft enclosed car trailer the trailer brakes quit working. Now the door keypads and cig lighter doesn't work. All fuses are good.

Mike
Old 10-10-2007, 07:53 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I don't want to spam the same topic, but I just posted in the problems forums about "orange peel" on my new truck. I went today to sign the final papers and got my first look at it, and the orange peel was exremely noticeable.

The dealer, although a decent guy, tried to give me the song and dance that it was normal, etc.

I explained to him that I am not expecting no "orange peel", but I am dissatisfied with the severity of it. I then told him to pull a new black Lincoln Towncar beside it, and the difference was obvious.

They are sending it to a body shop tomorrow, so I will let you all know what happens.

Joel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.