Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Clearance lights with sunroof and painted fender vents...

3K views 17 replies 12 participants last post by  89MustangGX 
#1 ·
Ok guys. I finally got the 250 cleaned up and got some pics. I have seen alot of people question about the clearance lights with a sunroof and even had the question myself. I am here to tell you that they will fit just fine installed with the instruction people use to install them on a truck with no sunroof. My dad and I installed the smoked Recon lights on his 03 and my 2010. It took us about 6 hours to do both but we did measure and remeasure over and over. The worst part of the install other than drilling holes in your roof was the rubber seal around my sunroof. The stuff that Ford used to hold this on should be outlawed!! haha. It makes a stringy sticky mess when you take it off. Since installed we have had a 6" snow storm which is very uncommon for this area and several heavy rains, neither of us have had any leaks so we are very pleased with these lights. I also painted my side vent because I can not stand that factory color that Ford decided to put on all diesels. Here are the pics. Let me know what you all think.

-also... What do you guys think about my next plans for the truck. I want to get the front and rear bumper linexed to match the tan bottom of the truck, paint the mirrors white or maybe just the mirror cap and get the front grill surround painted white. Do you think that this grill would look good chrome with a white surround? I have not seen this done yet. Any input would be appreciated.

See less See more
#5 ·
Great job, and well done..Any info on how you painted the vents? Easy?? alot of work??

#9 ·
Looks great -- and I already bought the clearance lights for my truck w/ sunroof but I haven't done anything because I really wasn't sure if it would work.

Can you give some details on some of the stuff specific to these trucks, like does the overhead console just unsnap like in the other trucks, and how do you get the headliner down around the sunroof? I'm really wanting to do this now!

Thanks!

Adam

#10 ·
Thanks, the headliner is not that bad. Just pull the door sills down to get them out of the way, take off the pillars beside the window on both sides, remove the sunvisors and brackets and remove the rubber trim around the sunroof. Be careful with this part because the glue that holds it on is very messy!! I also put a piece of painters tape along the edges of the sunroof visor thing so it would not lay in the glue once you remove the rubber trim. This will make more since once you start looking at it. That is all you have to do. The light can stay installed because the entire headliner will drop down in the front to give you enough room to work. also... make sure you put something between the head liner and the roof before you start drilling unless you want to have holes in the liner so you can show every one how you installed the lights.. haha. I actually used a gatorade bottle turned sideways to keep a gap between them.

#11 ·
They don't look quite centered..... I'm just messing with ya! Looks awesome! I'm trying to convince my friend to do the same to his, he wants to --- but can't get past drilling holes into his roof! Hahaha!

#14 ·
HAHA. You are actually the first one to pick on my about that. I figured alot more would but kinda glad no one has. I may get paranoid about it. haha. Tell your friend to measure a million times and he still will not be 100% sure that its perfect. ha. but once the first hole is in its all down hill. If you drill the holes to 7/8" for the center and 1/4" for the sides you actually have a good bit of room for adjustment in the end.

Lights look good! Hey what site did you get them from? and is that a full wire kit?
Thanks, I got them from gorecon.com. Its the full kit. You just have to tap into a power wire and ground the other. Its very simple.

Excellent -- thanks for the info.

I looked a little bit and it didn't really click with me, can you talk a little more about pulling down the sunroof trim and how that goes? I have an 06, but I'm thinking it will be the same.

Thanks,

Adam

I am pretty sure its the same on all sunroofs. you will actually just pull the rubber trim ring off. Put some tape on the sliding visor part of your headliner where it touches the rubber trim ring so it will not lay on the glue once you pull the ring off. Once you pull the ring off the headliner is free from the sunroof. Let me know if you still dont get it. I will help you the best I can.

#12 ·
Lights look good! Hey what site did you get them from? and is that a full wire kit?

#15 ·
My truck has cab lights and a sunroof from the factory. But on my last truck I had to put cab lights on. I didnt do it myself though because I was scared that if they ever leaked or anything that I would have to replace my headliner and what not out of my own pocket. I found a shop that charged me $80 and did a great job. Basically they billed me for one hour of labor, but it took them 3. They told me the reasoning was that all the extra time was just measuring and remeasuring, not actual labor.

#17 ·
Yes several shops tried to tell me $200+ but I actually found 2 shops in town that were willing to do it for that price... As for my mirrors, I did not paint them myself. I had them painted by a body shop while my truck was in the shop getting some other body damage (damn elk) fixed. They have held up great so far, and I spend alot of time on gravel roads. I do know that he sanded the mirrors down, used some sort of primer, and then sprayed 3 coats of paint and 1 coat of clear coat. he said that with that much paint on them they should be pretty damn durable when it comes to stone chips. The key is good prep work. If you would like I can call and ask him what kind of paint he used.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.