Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Guys with dark window tint....

6K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  Super Diesel 
#1 ·
I need some info.. I have a 2010 F250 and want to get the windows tinted. I know I want them dark but here is my question. I had the windows tinted with limo tint on my 03 Lightning and the passenger side window has small specs in it. I took it back and they guy said that it is from the felt on the window seal and that he could not do anything about it. That was several years ago and it was not all that noticable so I did not worry about it. Now that I am going to have it done again and these windows have the same type of seals, has anyone else had this problem? Maybe my window tinter was not the best? Any input on this would be great. One last thing. My truck is white and camel interior. What percentage would make it to where you could not see in unless you were really trying? My wifes Murano has 15% but it has dark interior and it appears darker.

#2 ·
I took it back and they guy said that it is from the felt on the window seal and that he could not do anything about it.
That sounds like the words from a poor tinter. I Would go to someone who does quality work and you can definitely see inside 15%. 5% is considered limo. I would so somewhere between there.

#3 ·
I have had tinting done on all my Super Duties over the years and have never had a problem with felt specs. I think it was your tinter. Go somewhere else. Find a reputable shop that gives a warranty. I always use 5% limo on the back doors and back window and 15% on the front doors. 15% is very hard to see through no matter what interior you have. However that being said my son just did his in 5% limo all the way around and it looks great but I think it is hard to see out of especially at night. When I have to move his truck I have to roll the windows down just to use the mirrors. 5% in the front is also illegal in most states, so i would stay with the 15% up front. Just my opinion though.:dunno:

#4 ·
Has to be bad work, the felt would be in between which means it was his fault but I have 15% and you cant see anything but maybe the outline of the person sitting inside. I wouldnt go for the 10% but thats just my opinion, I can barely see out of my windows at night which is frustrating but it looks good. :thumb:

#6 ·
depends if u have a single cab or extended or four door its all got to do with the amount of light getting into your truck and 5% tint is not limo tint limo tint is a special tint material if your really dont want anyone looking in do a 2.5% tint hard to find but no one will see in unless they stick there face to your window, i have a 5% tints wrapped on my truck and u can only see in it if your some what close, i always go with 5% but 2.5% is what you really want if you wanna go black out

#7 ·
it also could have just been pitting in your glass not always the felt stuff

#8 ·
It has to be the tinter cuz it happened to me also and i got them redone and i dont have that problem anymore. I went wwith 10% all around and 30% on the windshield. You couldnt see inside the truck during the day or at night, all you could see through the windshield during the day were my fingers on the steering wheel and it wasnt hard for me to see out the front, but the sides were a diff story at night, very hard. I took out the tint on the windshield after i got a ticket, its pretty noticeable when you have it tinted.

#11 ·
Price depends, I had the back windows and the three rear facing windows done in 30% (over the factory) and the front windows done in 15% and the front strip done in 5% for 120.00.

#12 ·
Since the rear and rear two sides come tinted from the factory I did them 15% and the two front sides 5% that way they were all tinted the same. On the front windshield I only put an 8" strip that is 5%. You can see through the front, but not the sides. If you notice in the last photo you can see through the rear, but thats only b/c the sun was bright and shining directly at an angles into the front windshield. Tinting the front with 50% would solve that.

#13 ·
Thanks for all the replies! I had a feeling that it was the tinter. I know it felt from the seals because he removed 15% just before the installed the limo tent and you couldnt see anything before. I want them dark but I think that 2.5% will be too much for me. I may try and do the back and rear sides at 15% and the front sides at 5%. I will probably stay away from tinting the windshield. I dont mind if you can see in the front when the sun is shinning in but I hate to be at a stop light and everyone can see me. Not sure why it matters but I just dont like it.. haha.. My truck is white so I think blacked out windows will look really good on it. My Lightning is Limo on the sides and 15% on the rear. Took me awhile to get used to it but I could see just fine once I had driven it for awhile. Like someone else said, all you can see thru the windsheild is my hand on the stearing wheel. That is what I am wanting to get close to.

#14 ·
Not sure how the police are in South Carolina, but here in Georgia --- they'll pull you over if your tint is too dark. I mean, most cops are pretty understandable to the fact that 32% (which is the legal limit here in Georgia) isn't that dark, and they'll tolerate a little darker. But don't go too dark, or they WILL pull you over.

Another cool thing, about our trucks being white... I've got this "safety blanket" when it comes to tinting the window darker than legal, because there's a lot of government trucks that drive around my area with dark tint, and they're white too. So, my truck blends in with them... therefore keeping me from getting more tickets! Haha, I used to blend in pretty good, that was until I got my exhaust... not so much anymore....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.