Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Just got an 08 6.4 fX4 and want to add mileage what should I do?

1K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  TripleE44 
#1 ·
Just got an 08 6.4 fX4 and want to add mileage what should I do?

#2 ·
For this and other performance related questions you'll have more luck getting responses if you post them in the General Discussion or Performance Parts section of the 6.4 forum. As for your question though, #1 would be to get rid of the DPF exhaust and get a tuner. Once you have done that the next most helpful thing is learning conservative driving techniques. With those things you will probably be looking at numbers in the high teens for mpg.

#3 ·
Remember, City driving will kill your mileage no matter what you do. If you want higher mileage, stay on the highway, soon as you drop to city driving, you can just about watch your fuel gauge dropping.

#9 ·
If it's all highway and he was driving moderately, then I don't believe the 23-25 HC numbers are far off. Hell, I get around 18-19 if it's just Hwy station to station that's with a DPF and the Banks unit.

#12 ·
Yes, moderate driving at 68 mph (not in a hurry), cruise set, fairly level terrain, and black maxx set to hot - that was the key.

If you think I'm full of schit, you don't know me at all.

#11 ·
Triple you are also on 37s with a more aggressive tire vs Clay who has more street friendly 35s

#17 ·
True, and I wasn't calling him a liar at all... Just sayin that I had to pretend not to believe him cause that would mean he's getting 8-10mpg better than I get. Granted I don't run larger tunes. I have one of Eric's lowest tunes and that's it. I'm too scared..

Side note tho, when I had those same 35's on my truck, which is a supercab short bed, with only a 2.5'' lift on stock rims, I got 1mpg better than I do now, which would have been 16.5mpg and that about 80% hwy.

#15 ·
Yes. Requires a visual for emissions components, connecting to OBD port to check for problems and a smoke opacity test. They don't actually hook it up to a machine like they do gassers.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.