LED Side Mirror Lenses - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4 Exterior Discussion Body and Accessories Talk

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-22-2010, 08:23 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
LED Side Mirror Lenses

This may already be posted somewhere, I just can't find it..

Anyhow, I am replacing my side mirror lenses and am wondering how to get the existing ones out without breaking them? This may be pretty easy, I haven't tried yet...figured I would ask you guys before I do something stupid

I have a 2010 and any advice on how to get these things out would be much appreciated...Thanks in advance!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-22-2010, 08:25 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Raul@Stealth Automotive
move the mirror so you have access to it from the inside. just take a small skinny flat head and pop the 2 clips and pull it out... its not hard at all....
Old 12-22-2010, 08:36 AM

Very Cool....I appreciate the info! It is always easier getting a "heads up" from someone who knows what they are doing before tearing into something...
Old 12-22-2010, 06:02 PM

Okay, attempted to install the Recon smoked side mirror lenses this evening...here is how it went..

Got the OE lenses out with no problems. Got the bulbs out and connected the Recon lenses..so far so good. At this point I attempted to get the Recon lenses back into the mirror..this is where the problems began.
On the OE lenses the bulbs fit into the back of the lenses, this allows room for lense to fit back into the mirror. Once you plug the the LED connectors from the Recon lenses into the bulb holders from the OE lenses there is no room inside the mirror for everything to fit and allow the Recon lense to slide back in properly...I messed with it for about 30 minutes and could not get them to fit without it feeling like the little plastic clips are going to break off...aside from that the connectors are not super tight. At this point I put the OE lenses back in and headed to Checker for a can of Night Shades and some clear coat.
I hope the Night Shades works out better than the Recon lenses...they are getting sent back.

It is very possible, in fact it's highly likely, that I am a complete idiot and am doing something wrong?? If anyone has any ideas or pointers that may help me I would really appreciate it....
Old 12-22-2010, 07:04 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

yah they are PITA to put them back in but they do go back in... takes a lil bit a finagling but they will work.. you have to put the wires into the housing so they are not in the way...

-Raul
Old 12-22-2010, 07:21 PM

Is there anything you can do to make the connectors a little more secure?? I thought about electrical tape but any more bulk that is added may make it impossible to get them back in.....PITA is an understatement...I may try them again this weekend before completely throwing in the towel....
Old 12-22-2010, 07:27 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coloavfan View Post
Is there anything you can do to make the connectors a little more secure?? I thought about electrical tape but any more bulk that is added may make it impossible to get them back in.....PITA is an understatement...I may try them again this weekend before completely throwing in the towel....
once they are in there its doubtfull they will move enough to disconnect.... the first time you do it its a major PITA but now it only takes me about 10min to do each side... i would try it again..

-Raul
Old 12-22-2010, 07:38 PM

Makes sense....I actually got it back in once only to find that the bottom one had gotten disconnected while I was wrestling it back in...Then I was really pissed! That is actually when I said to hell with it and put the OE lenses back in. I guess I was also assuming it was going to be a little easier and because it was such a PITA my patience was running a little thin. I'll give it another shot this weekend as I would really rather have the LED lights. Too bad you can't cut the damn plugs off and just wire them direct...it would sure make them a lot easier to get back together.....
Old 12-22-2010, 07:42 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coloavfan View Post
Makes sense....I actually got it back in once only to find that the bottom one had gotten disconnected while I was wrestling it back in...Then I was really pissed! That is actually when I said to hell with it and put the OE lenses back in. I guess I was also assuming it was going to be a little easier and because it was such a PITA my patience was running a little thin. I'll give it another shot this weekend as I would really rather have the LED lights. Too bad you can't cut the damn plugs off and just wire them direct...it would sure make them a lot easier to get back together.....
you actually prob can... but unless you wired them up with some connect/ disconnect connectors you wouldnt be able to pull them off...
Old 12-22-2010, 07:58 PM

The only reason I questioned it is because I thought I had heard somewhere that the LED lights take less power and I was thinking that maybe the plugs on the Recon lenses had some sort "power diffuser thingy" built in?? But if not.....????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.